DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/22 - 1/28/2024 - I'll Rumble 4 Ya

We've got a bunch of matches this week that would normally be on the main show, but each Rumble match takes close to 90 minutes to do. But, of course, TONIGHT... you'll get 20 minutes of two guys making barely coded All Elite references:

But the more important thing is....  Seth blew out his knee (again) and probably has to surrender the title.  Only question is, will we get Seth-Cody for the title, Drew-Priest?, Otis-Valhalla?  

Or... maybe the Men's Rumble winner gets to go to Mania because he's just won the World Heavyweight Championship?  🤔

• Like 1

C&P from what I said Saturday:

I was thinking what would happen if Seth Rollins had to vacate the World Heavyweight Championship which now looks likely. However Seth Rollins tore his MCL in January 2017 but still made it to WrestleMania 33. In November 2015 as WWE Champion, Rollins tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus so he had to vacate. Vacant World Heavyweight Championship to be up for grabs in the Men's Royal Rumble match like the WWF Championship in 1992 and in 2016? Do we get Cody Rhodes vs. CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania? Drew McIntyre vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania? Damian Priest will look a right idiot if he doesn't cash the Money in the Bank on an injured Seth Rollins.

As for the WWE Championship/WWE Universal Championship, is it Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II, Roman Reigns vs. The Rock or Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes vs. The Rock? I'd rather see Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II. To me, the story dating back to Cody's return is holding the WWE Championship, the belt Dusty Rhodes never held.

• Like 1

Just now, Godfrey said:

I read that Seth could still come back for Mania depending on the severity of the injury, I guess we'll find out tonight

Feels like it's going to be real close. Rollins' made it back for WrestleMania XXXIII but he's older now. Can WWE run the risk of Rollins not making it in time?

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Feels like it's going to be real close. Rollins' made it back for WrestleMania XXXIII but he's older now. Can WWE run the risk of Rollins not making it in time?

Yeah, it would be pretty soon and probably inadvisable. Even if they push forward with Seth and Punk they may need a backup plan just in case

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We've got a bunch of matches this week that would normally be on the main show, but each Rumble match takes close to 90 minutes to do. But, of course, TONIGHT... you'll get 20 minutes of two guys making barely coded All Elite references

/me looks at the topic

Well, time makes ex-AEW folks feel like they've got something real, but you and me, we know we've got nothin' but time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You can’t just tease me with the idea of Gunther squashing Rollins like he’s a jobber facing Kevin Sullivan on Worldwide in 1996 like that. I’m not sure I’ve ever wanted something in wrestling more (and a Mania crowd would agree with me).

Man that crowd was dead for the main event. Folks don’t give no kind of a shit about Priest.

Edited by For Great Justice

I noticed that Priest sure does talk like someone reading off a teleprompter for being so high up on the card. 

Punk/Cody talk-off wound up around 20 minutes with entrances, so about 15 total. Dolfan caught 2 AEW references. So, they were underplaying tonight. 

I did not have "Imperium/New Day have the best TV feud in wrestling" on my wrestling bingo card for 2024, yet here we are. We need more matches wrestled by people acting like they legit want to beat/hurt each other.

• Like 3

The Rollins/Gunther segment was good and nice tease for a future match. Don;t think it happens at Wrestlemania regardless of Seth's health, but I do hope it happens this year.

New Day vs. Imperium was good. Loved the action and hate. The match devolving into a double count out and brawl was great. Was good to see New Day remind people later backstage about how good and serious they can be. Kofi/Gunther next should be good.

Ivy/Valhalla was short and decent. Was happy to see Ivy grabbed the win.

Miz/Dom was solid.

Gable/Ivar was good with them busting out some nice big moments. Only real complaint is that it felt like Gable should have won here. Ivar at his size didn't really need a rebound for credibility.

That Cody/Punk segment was far better than expected. Both got in some solid barbs and definitely made the idea of a future singles between them interesting.

Indi/Candice vs. Shayna/Zoey was decent. Would have liked more from Damage CTRL's post match attack.

Priest/Drew was good though a decent reminder of Priest lacking that main eventer feel. Truth's interference at the end was amusing and feels like a setup of a future murder that will have the crowd despising any in Judgement Day not named Rhea.

Solid show tonight. Some good segments and matches though the women's division was on the weaker side unfortunately.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

They were really clutching at straws for that Cody/Punk segment and still managed to go down the “MY/YOUR FATHER WAS DUSTY RHODES” route. It did get a bit interesting at the end though. Hopefully we get full on dickhead heel Punk as a challenger for Cody down the line. 

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

under previous WWE regimes, Gunther would get the "doesn't know what day things are" gimmick for mixing up the day that the Rumble is on

Ive noticed that is a problem with both AEW and WWE have an issue with getting the wrong day out there with them bouncing between Saturday and Sunday. Time for a big banner in Gorilla 

Kevin Patrick will no longer be on the announce team for Smackdown

Per Meltzer

SmackDown set for a change. Kevin Patrick is out. No replacement named yet. Reason I was given: 'It just wasn’t working out.'

I like that they're keeping the Opening Promos relatively short. Seth did a great job and Gunther interrupting got a legit pop out of me. I loved the transition into the opening match too

The Imperium/New Day match and brawl was fantastic. I went into the match wondering if New Day could still hang and by the end of their promo later they were totally revitalized. And if nothing else, Jey Uso can become the new Ron Simmons with Yeet instead of Damn

Not a huge fan of Maxxine or Valhalla, Ivy Nile has something but like Rey Mysterio said you can't work out and get taller so she has to figure something else out. I put too much stock in height sometimes, it's more that smaller wrestlers have to really stand out to overcome the size difference 'realistically'

Speaking of, Gable and Ivar was rad. I'm a huge fan of small dudes suplexing big dudes and Gable hit an amazing German in this. It sucks they feel they have to keep Ivar strong(???)

Cody and Punk was a fun back and forth complete with Punk admitting he's the part-timer taking a spot now and getting cheered for it. Going back to the Dusty well again is a little boring though

Could only catch the main event in passing but I agree it wasn't the most heated affair. All these Judgement Day segments aren't really building Damian Priest as a world title contender and being a tag champ in a comedy angle isn't helping either