DVDVR Message Board

2024 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

Though Ghostbusters 4 is gonna be the big movie this weekend, I'm reposting this because this is what you should watch if you want to see something that's actually good:

PROBLEMISTA

Opens wide this weekend

If you are wondering when that crazy Civil War movie is coming out, April 12th is the world release date (because I just had to look it up myself. The Ebert site already reviewed it since it was early released... somewhere?... on the 14th of this month. They said it is ridiculous but good.)

ALIEN: ROMULUS

Finally. I'm guessing -- 99.9% sure -- this is actually, totally legit. Because they sure have been faking it out there.

Facehugger action ahoy!

Edited by RIPPA
Official trailer
  • Like 1

HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON

The film version of the classic children's book arrives in theaters August 2.

In the book, Harold was four. In the movie, Harold is middle-aged and played by Zachary Levi.

And this is why we hate focus groups, too many cooks, etc.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

ALIEN: ROMULUS

Finally. I'm guessing -- 99.9% sure -- this is actually, totally legit. Because they sure have been faking it out there.

Facehugger action ahoy!

This looks great! Can’t wait!

• Like 3

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.  This has got to be the least interested I've ever been in an Alien movie.  Granted, the last one being so fucking grim and smug did no favors there.  I liked the metatext of Prometheus but they really need to do something new here.  Beats the shit out of me what that is - different scale?  Different stakes?  A better look at why we're doing so much dumb bullshit off-planet that risking this kind of thing seems sensible?  This is probably going to break my streak of seeing them in theaters since # 3.

• Like 1

I'm cool with it. I mean I've seen all of them except 3 in the theater, might as well go to this one. As long as it doesn't have 1. Xenomorphs swimming or 2. Xenomorphs in broad daylight then I'll probably be able to enjoy it. (Note: I saw AVP 2 or whatever it was called in the theater but I was drunk and we smoked pot in the car before going in. All I remember is it was shot really dark, there was an alien hiding in the ceiling corner of a room at one point, and I laughed A LOT.)

• Like 1

I don't know, that looks way too much like "we're doing Alien again, but shittier"

But then, Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead was properly gory as fuck, so maybe I'll at least get that in this as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"we're doing Alien again, but shittier"

was done for years and those were all fun. Titan Find! Galaxy of Terror! The Terror Within! Forbidden World! Inseminoid! Parasite! Contamination! Real, REAL turkeys! People forget that turkey is delicious, even leftovers. 

• Like 1

I'm just happy to see what I hope to be a tighter, smaller, more fun story after whatever the fuck Prometheus and Covenant were supposed to be.  Fewer overreaching pompous ruminations over the origins of life, what it means to be alive, etc. and more frank discussions of the bonus situation, god dammit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4b-OMLNWE0

HUMANE (dir. Caitlin Cronenberg)

So yeah I guess another kid went into the family business. Looks funny! (Who thought one would ever say that about a picture by a Cronenberg...)

It is labelled as “a chilling dystopian satire,” so take that for what it is worth

Adam Sandler has confirmed some awful, awful news...

Happy Gilmore 2 is in development and will hit theaters in Summer 2026. 

• Sad 4

Motherfucker you are finally accepted as a good actor in decent movies and this is your choice of artistic expression. What is wrong with you.

EDIT: And don't play that "I want to give roles to my friends" card, if you want to pay their gambling or drug debts, just do it, quietly, and get them into a program. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Adam Sandler has confirmed some awful, awful news...

Happy Gilmore 2 is in development and will hit theaters in Summer 2026. 

I absolutely love the first movie but I hate this news. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Motherfucker you are finally accepted as a good actor in decent movies and this is your choice of artistic expression. What is wrong with you.

EDIT: And don't play that "I want to give roles to my friends" card, if you want to pay their gambling or drug debts, just do it, quietly, and get them into a program. 

Mark Kermode used to preface close to a decade of reviews with variations "he was in Punch-Drunk Love so he can't be that bad", so this isn't even the first time he's done this.

• Sad 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:47 PM, Tabe said:

I absolutely love the first movie but I hate this news. 

This is the perfect way to sum up my feelings. But hey, gotta make that Netflix content.

Yeesh…The more shit like this happens the more I think Beverly Hills Cop 4 is going to be a mega turd even though that trailer was really good.