DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Just read the results of the PPV.

We're going to see MJF on Monday Night Raw after WrestleMania, won't we?

(Unless Tony Khan has re-signed him and we're going to have about a year of Babyface / Our Scumbag MJF chasing after the title against Samoa Joe and the faction around him)

Totally think MJF will be in WWE in the not so distant future.  I doubt he’s gone and in WWE after Mania. Maybe in 26?

• Like 2

Opening 8 man was good but not quite as good as I wanted. Christian/Copeland was an amazing reminder that Christian is the god damned best, and maybe Copeland can be a damn fun brawler when he isn't just stuck into WWE style of shitty brawling. Full credit to him, he was fucking game today. Kingston/Mox was great, and I love seeing Kingston win. 

Nothing else on the show, including the pre-show, was for me at all. The Jericho 8 man should have been changed, because there was no way it wasn't going to go that way. AEW managed to ruin Ricky Starks momentum twice in one year, which is very impressive. I don't even watch WWE and I'm rooting for him to go there, because god damn, you can only fuck it up so many times before I don't blame the guy for fucking off.

Super happy to see Joe win the belt, even if it was completely secondary to whatever stupid Devil bullshit. Shame Roderick is stuck in that angle I don't care about now, But whatever, keep that shit on Dynamite so I don't have to pay anything approaching attention to. 

• Thanks 1

Oh. that reminds me of something that came up in chat.

When Bryan Danielson retires, they need to give him one hell of a retirement gift. Say, ROH? Let him book that from home, and perhaps do color commentary. He was fucking perfect in a Tony Romo kinda "Calls every play perfectly" way with Mox-Eddie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kingston and Mox showed how you can really work the crowd with what is often over done chop off’s. Really masterfully done.

Danielson was great on commentary. Really helped make the match feel like a fight fight.

—-

I’m not big on the Max hyping the crowd while the other guy awkwardly stand sells so often in the match. But Joe managed to react accordingly in most of those situations and often it cost MAX the momentum.

It was pretty obvious but I loved Cole purposely being slow to hand the ring. 

I’m so excited for this storyline going forward. Say what you will in terms of in ring (divisive with both guys) but ironically Cole is a better piece of shit and Max’s face run in terms of entrances has been real fun. Now he lost everything, will trust no one, and have a little edge to him. PLUS, the title is off them.

—-

oh Joe, my beautiful Joe. I am so happy you are my champion. All hail JOE! SAMOA JOE! Give me hard hitting title matches and mean promos you dick bully.

——

Rush is cool

——

Danielson vs White getting a good chunk of time in their multi man was fun.

——-

I’m very happy and optimistic about the future product. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

Totally think MJF will be in WWE in the not so distant future.  I doubt he’s gone and in WWE after Mania. Maybe in 26?

MJF did indicate that he doesn't know what the future holds for him after tonight's main event. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be signed right away to WWE but if there were a way to write off MJF from AEW and he then signs with WWE, this would be it. Tony Khan is not necessarily known for his World champions have more than 2 matches against the same opponent for the title.

I think Mania would be too soon now that I think about it. Maybe towards the end of next year / Royal Rumble 2025 would be a safer bet.

2 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Oh. that reminds me of something that came up in chat.

When Bryan Danielson retires, they need to give him one hell of a retirement gift. Say, ROH? Let him book that from home, and perhaps do color commentary. He was fucking perfect in a Tony Romo kinda "Calls every play perfectly" way with Mox-Eddie.

My boy can do it all: wrestle, promos, face, heel, brawl, comedy, authority figure and commentate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did not watch the show. But I am disappointed with The Devil reveal. It’s now just an angle that took a too long to play out. It could have been such sweet, glorious WrestleCrap. Come on, give us some pairing like Bandido, Dante Martin, Brian Cage and Dolph Ziggler with Dan Lambert as the Devil. Not “oh, this was all sensible from the story they told it’s just that they took way too long to get there” stuff. 

• Thanks 1

First two hours were a slog, ranging from mid to meh. Honestly, the Stat-Willow match opening Zero Hour was the best match up until Cage-Copeland. Just felt like a lot of filler combined with a dead (or WWE-trained) crowd. I like Ricky and Big Bill but I also think they’re not doing enough with the tag titles when for a while that was the best division. Toni-Riho was fine but also weird in them acting like Toni was some giant that Riho Misterio Jr. had to overcome with a power slam, like by women’s wrestling standards Toni is average. Swerve should’ve fully squashed Dustin, and as far as I’m concerned Miro can join Andrade in WWE, curtain jerking for Roman Reigns.

The No DQ was a solid brawl with storytelling and blood and Edge had his working boots on. Nick Wayne took gnarly bumps. I guess we have the mystery of what Christian has over Luchasaurus...if anyone gives a shit.

Mox-Kingston was perfect and I would really like Danielson to do more commentary with Taz, they added so much.

Main was way better than I expected given MJF’s injury, and they saved the BS for after. Cole was the right choice.

• Like 2

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

while the camel clutch is a pretty legit move, for some reason, I wouldn't mind Miro having another finisher. The guy looks like he could probably viciously suplex somebody

or hell... give him the Jackhammer

Give him MIRAI's waistlock uranage.

• Like 2

Just now, JLowe said:

First two hours were a slog, ranging from mid to meh. Honestly, the Stat-Willow match opening Zero Hour was the best match up until Cage-Copeland. Just felt like a lot of filler combined with a dead (or WWE-trained) crowd. I like Ricky and Big Bill but I also think they’re not doing enough with the tag titles when for a while that was the best division. Toni-Riho was fine but also weird in them acting like Toni was some giant that Riho Misterio Jr. had to overcome with a power slam, like by women’s wrestling standards Toni is average. Swerve should’ve fully squashed Dustin, and as far as I’m concerned Miro can join Andrade in WWE, curtain jerking for Roman Reigns.

The No DQ was a solid brawl with storytelling and blood and Edge had his working boots on. Nick Wayne took gnarly bumps. I guess we have the mystery of what Christian has over Luchasaurus...if anyone gives a shit.

Mox-Kingston was perfect and I would really like Danielson to do more commentary with Taz, they added so much.

Main was way better than I expected given MJF’s injury, and they saved the BS for after. Cole was the right choice.

Just wanted to note, as a fan of both Willow and Stat, I think this is a crazy opinion. They botched like half the match. I can't remember a AEW match that went as poorly as that one did.

also I make my football scores comparison for how competitive a match should be knowing full well that such an idea would probably inspire Jim Ross to start booking matches using that criteria

Overall, most matches are probably the NFL "one possession game" sort of competitive games. But yeah, Swerve probably should beat Dustin by 2 or 3 touchdowns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

while the camel clutch is a pretty legit move, for some reason, I wouldn't mind Miro having another finisher. The guy looks like he could probably viciously suplex somebody

or hell... give him the Jackhammer

the Jackhammer could work as a finish if you don't tell Miro it's a joke about his refusals to do jobs

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Christian Cage has I think the quickest win in TNT Title history. He is a viscous and glorious champion.

Quickest title win in AEW history by Christian Cage and the shortest reign in AEW history for Adam Copeland.