DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/15 - 11/21/2023 - Gears of War

Dolfan in NYC

59 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I think there was 4 years ago, tbh. Now it doesn’t really feel like the company is built around the Elite anymore.

I've gotta agree, you make a good point here; I'd pretty much be lying if I didn't at least acknowledge that some of my thoughts you quoted might simply be rose-colored glasses for that '19-'21 period.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Has anybody pitched Shawn Spears as our Masked Devil?

You could slot the possible new signing in that role (as I did in the main thread) and it would probably be as disappointing as Shawn Spears. 

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

HOOK getting his first legit pinfall loss

You know, I didn't even register that when it happened. He really has a reason to gun for Yuter now. Also it feels like that should be a bigger deal though it's good they finally got it out of the way. How does the kid's streak match up with Goldberg's? No fudging on the count, now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know, I didn't even register that when it happened. He really has a reason to gun for Yuter now. Also it feels like that should be a bigger deal though it's good they finally got it out of the way. How does the kid's streak match up with Goldberg's? No fudging on the count, now. 

As it was pointed out, it wasn't his FIRST pinfall loss (Jackass Perry used the FTW title to do that), but his first clean pinfall loss, but I still think it's a big thing that a shit-stain like Wheeler was one to do it to him! So his streak rivaled that of Jade Cargil more than that of Goldberg, but stil...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The Jack Perry match was just slightly longer and he's been in a couple 15 minute+ multi-man tags.

How long was the Hardy Compound cinematic match against The Firm? I mean he did spend a bit of that sitting in a tree eating chips, but technically that was a pretty long segment.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

How long was the Hardy Compound cinematic match against The Firm? I mean he did spend a bit of that sitting in a tree eating chips, but technically that was a pretty long segment.

13:38 on TV, a little under 21 minutes for the uncut version.  So his Collision 8-man is his longest match by a hair.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Would exhuming Tully Blanchard from the grave to be the devil be more or less disappointing than Shawn Spears

I don't hate that idea at all, but at that point though let's just go back to the idea of having it be Tully, Wardlow, Spears and FTR getting revenge for the Pinnacle stuff

• Like 3

I know I said this last time and was burned on it, but god damn, there’s no way they put Mox over OC, right?  Like that just buries OC and cements him as a midcarder. 

I liked Moxley back when he was booked as an actual 3 dimensional human being.  This violent, angry bully gimmick is trash.  If he was a straight up heel who actually got his comeuppance, it would work.  But he’s pretty much a face again and it just feels like an adolescent male power fantasy gimmick.  1996 Steve Austin had more nuance.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I know I said this last time and was burned on it, but god damn, there’s no way they put Mox over OC, right?  Like that just buries OC and cements him as a midcarder. 

I liked Moxley back when he was booked as an actual 3 dimensional human being.  This violent, angry bully gimmick is trash.  If he was a straight up heel who actually got his comeuppance, it would work.  But he’s pretty much a face again and it just feels like an adolescent male power fantasy gimmick.  1996 Steve Austin had more nuance.

I think the only way Mox going over works is if they use it as an entry point to finally do a Stop the Moxley angle.  Claudio's ambivalent reaction to the beat down on Dynamite last week could be the seeds of that.

Otherwise, yeah, the build-up is pretty baffling unless OC is going over cleanly.

• Like 5

On-Screen Moxley is pretty much a dude in an alcoholic rage, isn't he? not saying he's anything less than sober off-screen, but on-screen he comes off like a guy who is one drink away from trying to fight anybody who looks at him the wrong way

Even if there's a logical reason why he pretty much no sold the Orange Cassidy Orange Punch.. Orange pretty much has to do something way more violent than you'd expect from Orange Cassidy or Moxley has to slip on a banana peel and hit his head on the ground, which is a finish they already accidentally did with Fenix

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

On-Screen Moxley is pretty much a dude in an alcoholic rage, isn't he? not saying he's anything less than sober off-screen, but on-screen he comes off like a guy who is one drink away from trying to fight anybody who looks at him the wrong way

Even if there's a logical reason why he pretty much no sold the Orange Cassidy Orange Punch.. Orange pretty much has to do something way more violent than you'd expect from Orange Cassidy or Moxley has to slip on a banana peel and hit his head on the ground, which is a finish they already accidentally did with Fenix

The wildest thing they could do is finally pay off OC stealing The Blade's brass knuckles from, like, two years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If he doesn't put him out with the Orange Punch this time, it'll be your "way more violent". Fist fulla barbed wire or something. But I'm betting the regular punch gets the duke. 

Now after this I would book Stop the Moxley with him mutilating Orange after losing but it'll probably be a respect handshake. Problem is what do you do with Mox after that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

would it be stealing material from the Bucks heel turn for Orange to hit a dude in the groin with the Orange Punch?

Kinda - but even then, it wouldn't be so bad if Kingdom weren't selling "Punch Em In The Weiner" shirts

ETA:

FWIW, I'm thinking OC goes over with Best Friends either cutting off a Yuta/Claudio run in at some point, or otherwise helping pull some babyface counter-skulduggery (think something like Steve Austin's role in Mankind's world title win in December '98).

Ultimately, I think we get a Mox/Bryan singles as part of the latter's farewell tour - Mox 'going too far' on one occasion might be a good catalyst to get there

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

He's just Angry McAngryface.  He's like a parody of a pro wrestler crossed with something a 13 year old boy would dream up instead of paying attention in home ec class.  Same problem I have with Joe.  One dimensional, "I'm mean and I beat everybody up" is just not appealing.

back in the simpler days of 1993, the Nasty Boys at least looked like the goons in a children's cartoon while being reckless clods that liked to beat people up and get hit hard

so there might be a certain amount of "what wrestling did you really enjoy the most 20 years ago" in most of the AEW roster and Moxley is a guy who would be doing light tubes matches if allowed to

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If he doesn't put him out with the Orange Punch this time, it'll be your "way more violent". Fist fulla barbed wire or something. But I'm betting the regular punch gets the duke. 

Now after this I would book Stop the Moxley with him mutilating Orange after losing but it'll probably be a respect handshake. Problem is what do you do with Mox after that.

He won at All In with an Orange Punch with a taped fist dipped in broken glass, so there's precedent.

• Like 2