DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

32 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Seth immediately went into "work" mode to get that WM main event spot, gotta love it.

one of the dudes who is a Reddit/SC "insider" (Kermit) says Punk/Rollins at the Rumble

Clearly Punk's WM main event is gonna be against The Miz and it'll turn into Ogawa/Hashimoto

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

So did anything interesting happen?

Miz/Gunther was my match of the night and The Miz finally found someone that he could hit hard.

Granted that shouldn't be a surprise, since The Miz's NXT protege, Daniel Bryan, was also pretty good against that style of wrestler. Just imagine The Miz working British tent shows for crowds of random children like Danielson did.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

one of the dudes who is a Reddit/SC "insider" (Kermit) says Punk/Rollins at the Rumble

Clearly Punk's WM main event is gonna be against The Miz and it'll turn into Ogawa/Hashimoto

When it comes to WWE stuff, I believe Kermit over any dirtsheet dude. I remember him spoiling the Shane McMahon return on RAW in… what, 2016?

I don't watch too much WWE anymore, but I was getting snowed in so decided to give this show a look.

Miz fighting for his life against Gunther was some good shit, and Rhea and Santos still rule. The WG matches all kinda ran together.

After watching, I can say Gunther is the only person who should beat Roman in a modern Hogan vs. Warrior type match. If they aren't gonna do that, just let Roman pass Bruno at this point.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

https://wrestletalk.com/news/young-bucks-share-interesting-seth-rollins-story

So...rest in peace AEW?

I once said, Tony Khan's failure to manage the CM Punk situation did irreparable damage to the company. I was right. 

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1548664659988848641

And people accuse me of having "Wreddit-level takes." Jesus Christ.

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

When it comes to WWE stuff, I believe Kermit over any dirtsheet dude. I remember him spoiling the Shane McMahon return on RAW in… what, 2016?

although in this case, it feels like a bit of an uncontested layup..

I mean, Punk was spending his time working the Shield 10 years ago just before leaving the company so there's a good on-screen reason to have Punk/Rollins without any shooty stuff (but there will be shooty stuff)

Never thought it would happen tonight, but amazing surprise to end the show. 

Similar to last year, I liked the women's war games a lot. Becky got a little bit of BLOOD! so that puts it over the top. Felt like Shotzi was an mvp in there.  Main event didn't feel as special but glad to see Orton back in there finally.

It’s win-win for WWE, either it works out and becomes a great business decision or it doesn’t, he’s fired and they still have the top stars to carry on without him.

He’s gonna be on a very short leash you’d imagine, be interesting what he has to say about Khan etc if he’s allowed. 

• Like 1

I feel like Miz/Gunther was the wrong match for the wrong occasion.

Miz wrestling like he's Flair circa 2002 and just outrageously cheating his way into giving an unsuspecting Gunther a run for his money was probably the way to go. Not Miz taking 80% of the match as a legit threat, and then just running into the inevitable wall. (Thinking Big Show/Flair for the ECW title eons ago).

Really hate the WWE booking of War Games in that nothing that happened before the final entrant matters, and that everything must lead to a stare-down of both sides from opposing rings. Would love to see the little stories in a match where The Numbers Game wears the opening guy down, and has nothing left to offer, before being subsequent easy prey for the opposing side, or that there's a big spot early in the match that plays a part in the finish. I even miss me some overconfident heel team adding their manager into the mix and the weakest link being the one to surrender. Subsequently, they all feel homogenised and as if they're giving us a match in spite of the gimmick.

A traditional Survivor Series matchup could have still worked here if booked completely at odds with the Wargames matches, especially when you consider LA Knight goes from main eventing against Roman to not even making the card. Something surely could have been done with him, KO, Waller/Theory, New Day, Street Profits/Lashley, etc.

I’m not entirely sure if there’s any kayfabe reason why kendo sticks are under the ring. But hey. Almost everything else, sure. (Edit: maybe not the bullrope but perhaps Cody has the family power to make bullropes appear out of nowhere)

Maybe the gap looks larger on TV than reality but it looked like someone on the outside could fit multiple foreign objects into the cage through that gap.

Anyways, maybe a little too much Royal Rumble in how they present the countdowns to new entrants. I mean we don’t really need to be given that many updates on how long it is to a new entrant.

Also if they’re gonna do pinfalls, maybe designate a captain who pinfalls count on. But I’m not expecting WWE to steal a match concept from Lucha.

But as I noted, it’s WWE WarGames. It’s probably beating a dead horse to note the ways they do it differently.

Edited by Cobra Commander

33 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Really hate the WWE booking of War Games in that nothing that happened before the final entrant matters, and that everything must lead to a stare-down of both sides from opposing rings.

This was actually the first time in a while this didn't happen in either match.

Kudos to the kittens around here on only wrestling each other around here during the opening WarGames match. Although one of them showed up during the main event for a few minutes.

Also it feels like the WWE could tinker a little with the door and where it’s located before they do this match next year. Basically the only scenarios to enter the cage involved either having the other team try to keep you out, going for plunder, or somehow making it in like a normal match. It just looks weird to have the stairs be where they are when the door faces the hard cam.

Wonder how much of a schmozz the WWE WarGames would be if they tried putting 10 people on one ring instead of giving them an extra ring to nap in while the main fight goes on in the other ring.

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It didn't happen in the women's match either.

https://i.ibb.co/VYYkgfb/Screenshot-2023-11-26-195225.png

I mean, granted its not the West Side Story face off before they awkwardly try to navigate the ropes to attack each other that they've done in most years, my point re: it feeling like everything leading up to getting the shot of each team in an opposing ring feels meaningless, and that its all lead up to giving us this image.

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

https://i.ibb.co/VYYkgfb/Screenshot-2023-11-26-195225.png

I mean, granted its not the West Side Story face off before they awkwardly try to navigate the ropes to attack each other that they've done in most years, my point re: it feeling like everything leading up to getting the shot of each team in an opposing ring feels meaningless, and that its all lead up to giving us this image.

This feels a bit like grasping as the West Side Story face off is exactly what people are talking about having an issue with generally speaking. That shot was just showing off Damage Ctrl in control. It was neat and kind of minor compared to the usual

In the sense that all other 7 in the ring were down after the trash can spot, and then only the heels got up when Asuka came in, to set it up, it felt forced. Also annoyed that when the four heels have weapons, their opponents on the ground motionless and they somehow manage to slip on a banana peel and lose, it made them look weak.

Wasn't a fan of the finish - felt a bigger, new and improved Damage CTRL laying waste to four big names, and then you lead to them eliminating the weakest link that was holding them back previously in Bayley seems a bigger deal (and if you happen to get to Bianca/Charlotte in amongst it, bonus) rather than all four looking like losers to a team that didn't need the win, leading to losers taking out their frustrations of losing on the biggest loser. 

Agree with the earlier suggestions of removing the cage door position - maybe in favour of what they did with the Elim Chamber earlier in the year (and the ropes in the middle of the two rings)