DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

See my thing with AEW right now is that if the passion is gone from the viewer, it’s because a large chunk of the soul is missing from the show. Yeah this G1 is going to produce a dozen matches that slap, but to me it’s like The Owen. I just really, really have no reason to care and it feels inorganic. I think this is one big one where myself and DVDVR brethren Coach TK disagree as fans - tournaments for the sake of tournaments absolutely sucks as a pro wrestling construct. Tony can’t get enough of it, but I’m out. It just sucks.

AEW at its best is Best Friends having wacky blowoff matches, Orange Cassidy doing character stuff moreso than five star classics, Danhausen cursing dudes, HoB being spooky, all the good shit.

AEW’s trajectory with my buy in kind of follows Kris Statlander’s character arc, actually. Late 2023 AEW needs less generic hoss, more alien. 

Embrace your alien, Tony.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

But is guaranteed money from NBCU/The Cock better than fluctuating PPV revenues? If I were a business, I'd think so. 

Depends what you mean by fluctuating. I would consider UFC's PPV business prior to the ESPN deal as fluctuating. I would imagine as is, WWE's big four PPV would be at a certain level with Mania as the outlier, and the rest would fall in line with each other. UFC did take the guaranteed money from ESPN because their year could wildly swing based on the availability of folks like McGregor or a Jon Jones or some superfight that hadn't been made yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I mean if his idea of "entertainment" is QTV...

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

See my thing with AEW right now is that if the passion is gone from the viewer, it’s because a large chunk of the soul is missing from the show. Yeah this G1 is going to produce a dozen matches that slap, but to me it’s like The Owen. I just really, really have no reason to care and it feels inorganic. I think this is one big one where myself and DVDVR brethren Coach TK disagree as fans - tournaments for the sake of tournaments absolutely sucks as a pro wrestling construct. Tony can’t get enough of it, but I’m out. It just sucks.

AEW at its best is Best Friends having wacky blowoff matches, Orange Cassidy doing character stuff moreso than five star classics, Danhausen cursing dudes, HoB being spooky, all the good shit.

AEW’s trajectory with my buy in kind of follows Kris Statlander’s character arc, actually. Late 2023 AEW needs less generic hoss, more alien. 

I agree with your second paragraph and have felt that AEW could do more storytelling and less Super-Indy, however I do like tournaments as they give wrestling a real sports feel

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I mean if his idea of "entertainment" is QTV...

I just think it’s funny that some people are taking his departure as a sign of how far AEW’s gotten from its original spirit or whatever, when for all we know it’s people with philosophies like his giving us all the brochachos and Neck-Strong stuff and the devil mask deal. 

• Like 4

leaving the company because you don't think you're getting enough TV time is actually remarkably direct compared to some of the passive aggressive stuff that can go on with promotions and people who just hang around instead of leaving

wonder how many of QT's entertainment ideas involved things other than "get QT on TV more often"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tony may have had a committee to decide on Punks future because he was directly involved in the incident and didn’t want to leave Punk any room for suing for it being a retaliation firing cause we know CM Punk can be a litigious fucker. This gives AEW security, even if Tony was going to fire him anyway

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

imagining an early 90s WWF wrestler who is a mix of Repo Man and IRS whose gimmick involves issuing fines on babyfaces while letting the heels get away with murder..

"I've fined you $100 for excessive doubleteaming"

"But our opponents did it too"

"Didn't see that"

Commissioner I.R.S instead of Sgt Slaughter in 97, that'd be something

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

imagining an early 90s WWF wrestler who is a mix of Repo Man and IRS whose gimmick involves issuing fines on babyfaces while letting the heels get away with murder..

"I've fined you $100 for excessive doubleteaming"

"But our opponents did it too"

"Didn't see that"

Funny you should bring up Darsow because that's basically a play on Bill Watts. Between Foley's story of Watts fining people for being five minutes early to a meeting and then shutting the door well before it was suppose to start and Shane Douglas' story about Bill blindsiding Erik Watts and punching him in the ribs cause Erik didn't sell a punch to Bill's liking, why couldn't we have had this obsessive Marv Marinovich type uptight asshole authority figure who is the fly in the ointment for everything including his son's career? This goes especially seeing as a bunch of people who either worked with Watts or wrestled for him were on the WWF roster/personnel side in short order (Jake, DiBiase, Koko, Butch Reed, JYD, Terry Taylor, Bruce Prichard, Duggan, Shawn Michaels, Darsow, etc.). 

• Like 1

An aside but... Summer 1999 David Flair was actually one of the most fun takeoffs on the whole "promoter pushes his son" concept it's just that David Flair actually did suck in the ring and he really wanted to be a Highway Patrolman instead of a wrestler. Also it was 1999 WCW and basically everything they did was doomed to suck.

Bruce Prichard being a rules stickler calling himself "The Cowboy" would easily be better than the weekend he spent as Reo Rodgers before everybody decided "let's not do this anymore" because it's possible to be too shitty for the 1993 WWF.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Thanks for bringing up The Owen.  Owen was one of my all-time favorites, loved KOTR back in the day, should have been right up my alley.  And yet I didn't care about either tournament because they didn't do anything to make me care.  Slapping Owen's name on an underwhelming tournament isn't enough.

And likewise, Tony had that "put your money where your mouth is" comment about the CC tourny, like "this is what you guys want, I'm booking this for you, don't make me regret it!" in a totally self-defeating way IMO.  I'm not really into this tournament yet for a lot of reasons, a big one being that it's just getting thrown out there at a time where wins and losses have seemed to matter less than at any time in the company and there's already too many belts for me to keep track of.  Too much product as well.  If this is the start of a shift, great!  But you can't expect everyone who's been down on the product to just be magically 100% on board again because you threw a G1 style tournament at them

• Like 2

Bruce returned to WWF right in the middle of Watts WCW regime. That would have been even sweeter if he did it right as Bill got fired. Speaking of impressions, I will take Bruce's 50/50 at best impression game if it meant they make fun of Bill Watts ultimately being his own undoing.

Hell, I would have taken it after Watt's two month run there in late 95. Imagine The Cowboy managing Tekno Team 2000 to the WWF tag team titles.

As far as QT goes, I always liked him as a mid-card heel.  Good wrestler, good talker, pretty entertaining in the right role.  My first thought was he's probably going to WWE but we shall see.

If he left because he thought AEW needed to be more "entertainment" than "New Japan", c ya!  It's already been going in that direction and it sucks.  I've said it before but there's a level of silliness and comedy and goofiness that I love in wrestling that AEW has managed to pull off really well at times, but I'm not a fan of the sports entertainment WWE/TNA stuff that, based on QTV, he is

If he left because he wanted a bigger push, again, don't see him any higher than midcard in AEW. 

I think WWE is probably a better place for him anyway, he'd be a great midcard heel there and probably a better fit without the baggage he already has in AEW where a lot of fans just don't want to see him at all

• Like 4

Bryan Danielson working under a mask as The Executioner to make a return would have layers to it. Overall, TK hasn't figured out the shower knobs to accomplish the "Vince loved me, but creative doomed me" dynamic that's in the WWE.

So if we're getting this much drama out of QT Marshall leaving, that means if the Butcher and Blade actually leave, we're getting more drama out of that because yeah sure.

11 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I wonder who else is on that committee?

Reveal hidden contents

PLEASE BE THE PROFESSIONAL PETER AVALON

The committee as originally comprised was three members: Danielson, AEW’s general counsel, and an outside attorney. No idea if they’ve maintained that composition, I think Danielson’s the only one reported as currently being on it. And let’s be honest, we all only care because it’s Danielson. 

• Like 4