DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There are a few versions of the story, but you may be correct based on this blurb (this is for not in the know):

Did she show him her gravure pictures? That would have gotten her the job right then and there.

Seriously though, by the time she had that tryout, she was not the same wrestler she was ten years earlier. In going through Twitter just recently, I found a tweet with HLs of one of her matches with Manami Toyota and they were doing shit men don't do now on that hard ass AJW ring. So by the time she was 35, I could understand why she was no longer physically up to it.

To be fair at the time Inoue would have probably still been the best woman in WWE without question even if she had fallen of a good bit from where was. It was always such a weird and random thing because it was clear the division wasn't taken seriously at the time.

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

To be fair at the time Inoue would have probably still been the best woman in WWE without question even if she had fallen of a good bit from where was. It was always such a weird and random thing because it was clear the division wasn't taken seriously at the time.

Based on how bad and amateurish some of those matches were at the time, I could see some folks speaking up about the quality of the matches and feeling they needed some more actual wrestlers. Trish and Lita had improved a lot and you also had Victoria who was very solid despite also not starting off as a wrestler. Ivory was still around but basically on her way out. You also had Jazz and Molly. However, by the mid 2000s, the non wrestlers were starting to far outnumber anyone with actual wrestling acumen.

I mean for the longest the talking point especially from 1993 on until the modern era is/was the female talent just didn't exist, which was totally wrong. They just didn't bother looking outside of Moolah's stable or bothering cultivating any until years later.

• Like 2

Listening to Werner Herzog giving his thoughts on Wrestlemania/WWE was not what I expected on Conan O'Brien's podcast!!!

Even better is Werner referring to Linda Mcmahon as Vince's "Alleged Wife" and the commenting on "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo"!!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 6

Didn't I tell fuckface, who eventually got banned, MULTIPLE TIMES that the Fox ratings were decent but that's not taking into account what shows do on primetime TV across the big four networks?

"We were not hitting the advertising numbers due to the audience of the WWE for our return on investment to be above the levels that we would accept," Murdoch said. "But also, we didn’t attribute enough significant retransmission revenue to the WWE either." 

"So, it made sense for us to move on," he continued. "They've been a great partner for many years but just quite simply, we're very disciplined and the ROI didn't meet our pretty disciplined parameters. So, we wish them luck and we've moved on from them." 

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/fox-ceo-explains-why-wwe-smackdown-tv-rights-deal-wasnt-renewed

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

It's bad that I was like "there are a lot of people who meet that definition, and I legitimately can't remember which fuckface this is", isn't it?

You're right. It was BOTH A_K and Dolphman 3000 I had to tell that to. Neither are currently among us anymore, which I totally support.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

New gimmick idea just dropped for a wrestler who won’t have conventional entrance music but will play a trumpet to announce his/her arrival.

If you collated all of your imagination's wanderings in book form, I'd buy it.

Fun fact: My brother told me he lives in the same vicinity as one Cowboy Bill Watts in Oklahoma. 

I am going to visit my brother for Thanksgiving. God if I run into Bill Watts I am going to ask him if his restaurant policies have changed in 30 years.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's probably for the best that Bill Watts doesn't tweet or podcast, especially over the last few years.. we already know that Bill's a libertarian that may or may not know what libertarian means

Is he a "free speech means freedom to discriminate" libertarian or an "age of consent laws are tyranny" libertarian?

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fun fact: My brother told me he lives in the same vicinity as one Cowboy Bill Watts in Oklahoma. 

I am going to visit my brother for Thanksgiving. God if I run into Bill Watts I am going to ask him if his restaurant policies have changed in 30 years.

"I just think it's a restaurant's right to make their own policies" is right up there with "the Civil War was about states' rights!"

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's probably for the best that Bill Watts doesn't tweet or podcast, especially over the last few years.. we already know that Bill's a libertarian that may or may not know what libertarian means

There are old libertarians?  I thought libertarians were just young republicans who still want to be invited to the cool parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Ron Paul’s older than Bill Watts. I think old Libertarians also love Gold, and Watts was recommending Krugerrand investment to his wrestlers in the 80s

I just this second got the Archer Vice joke where Krieger names his cryptocurrency "Kriegerrands". 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b2e0f191-d479-45b4-b197-8f8390a914af

...and I think we've run the Libertarian stuff into the ground.  Take it to the Discord plz.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Ron Paul’s older than Bill Watts. I think old Libertarians also love Gold, and Watts was recommending Krugerrand investment to his wrestlers in the 80s

I always laugh at those carny-ass gold commercials.  Like, if the economy collapses and gold will be the only currency the mutants of the wasteland accept, wouldn't the guy who owns the gold company, and all the gold, want to keep it all?

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I always laugh at those carny-ass gold commercials.  Like, if the economy collapses and gold will be the only currency the mutants of the wasteland accept, wouldn't the guy who owns the gold company, and all the gold, want to keep it all?

I can’t remember where I heard this but it seems spot on, in the past 200ish years the worth of an ounce of gold is the equivalent of the price of an “expensive” men’s suit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

I can’t remember where I heard this but it seems spot on, in the past 200ish years the worth of an ounce of gold is the equivalent of the price of an “expensive” men’s suit.

Even the apocalypse shouldn’t keep one from looking just dapper as fuck

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

They kept the "throwing your opponent over the top rope" thing up until WCW in 98 did they ever really enforce the jumping off the top rope thing? I recall Flair doing double axe handles and cross bodies from there

Watts made a big deal of not coming off the top rope during his reign. I remember before the Muta/Barry NWA World title match at Superbrawl 3 they explained the rules because WCW and the NWA had different rules and they noted in WCW you can not come off the top rope but in the NWA you can.

• Like 1