DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

I put my longer comments on the Vladimir documentary in the WWE Network thread over the weekend but it's a good documentary, especially for being as long as it is (35 minutes). There was a pretty dramatic swing from the first third to the middle to the final third and Vladimir went through a bit during the period of filming this documentary. I don't know if there were any unanswered questions that were any of our business. I don't know if the story of "how can he afford to attend all these cards" would be interesting or if people would believe it if they heard it.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Pulp Fiction would be more fun. Dick Dale is probably cheaper than Axl Rose, too.

Ya know, I was 100% gonna include that thought, but with 'Final Countdown' being so prohibitively expensive and still getting used a few times, I figured a once-a-year GNR expedenture wouldn't break the bank.

But yes I completely agree, that would be a great one too. If not for PPV in general, that one could be saved for special occasions like themed Dynamites (e.g. Grand Slam, Winter is Coming, Thanksgiving Eve), Battle of the Belts, or Dailys Place 'Homecoming' episodes.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Is there a discussion anywhere else on the board about Silver Lake and Abu Dhabi wealth investment fund Mubadala discussing plans with each other for a takeover bid of Endeavor? Would that even affect TKO? I thought they were a separate company now, but if their parent company gets bought…

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just struck me, the reason I say "Miserlou" might be more fun is because I've never seen the "November Rain" videos. And Pulp Fiction, I've only seen the one on the first ECW WWE DVD, which I think was an Easter egg.

Oh, dude. They were *awesome.* And I say that as someone who was too young for a lot of ECW's 'glory days' so by the time I got to them, guys like Shane Douglas were starting to leave, and guys like Taz and the Dudleyz would be gone within a couple years - but they were still hype as hell. Even at the end when Justin Credible was a relatively cold champion, there was still something about the whole conceit of that package that was different from the big two, even though the other best parts of ECW had already been long ripped off, with generational copy of a copy of a copy loss and all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Is there a discussion anywhere else on the board about Silver Lake and Abu Dhabi wealth investment fund Mubadala discussing plans with each other for a takeover bid of Endeavor? Would that even affect TKO? I thought they were a separate company now, but if their parent company gets bought…

I haven't saw any here, but I could have sworn from the article I read TKO would not be affected. I am not sure how that works.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I haven't saw any here, but I could have sworn from the article I read TKO would not be affected. I am not sure how that works.

This may be the same article you saw El Savaje, but this is probably the best/most reputable I could find on it just in case Casey or anyone else wants to have a look:

Notably, Endeavor said it wouldn’t consider unloading its interest in TKO Group Holdings, the newly formed combat sports company that includes Vince McMahon’s WWE and Dana White’s UFC. Endeavor owns 51% of TKO, which began trading on the New York Stock Exchange last month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/25/ari-emanuels-endeavor-says-it-will-explore-strategic-alternatives-stock-pops-11percent.html

• Thanks 1

They put those poor girls through the ringer.

Man, I really need to find the picture of Takako Inoue and her creepy thousand yard stare from her AJW tryout in 1988. I know Cult of Bull Nakano on Twitter/IG has kept de-activating/re-activating his accounts, but I am praying he still has it.

Sidenote: When Takako Inoue (who BTW is having her 35th anniversary show headlined by Giulia vs. Saya Iida on 11/21) went and did a tryout in November 2004 for WWE, Johnny Ace thought she was in her early 20s. Mind you, I think Takako was wrestling in Japan before Johnny Ace was.

Found it!

https://www.tumblr.com/cultofbullnakano/631395396260937728/shots-of-our-favorite-ajw-joshi-as-babies-at-their?source=share

Takako is all the way in the bottom right corner looking like an apprehended serial killer about to show the cops where she put the bodies. Also, Mima Shimoda's picture may be of her about to cry. I am not what's going on with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Mind you, I think Takako was wrestling in Japan before Johnny Ace was.

Apparently it was around the same time. I thought it was more a case where he knew her age, but thought she didn't look anywhere close to it?

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Apparently it was around the same time. I thought it was more a case where he knew her age, but thought she didn't look anywhere close to it?

There are a few versions of the story, but you may be correct based on this blurb (this is for those not in the know):

Takako Inoue is a name that the large majority of WWE fans will never heard of. However, in her native Japan, she was undoubtedly a huge star, having competed for All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling, an organisation which boasted some of the best in-ring product in the world from either male or female wrestlers. This is something which had not gone unnoticed by new Vice President of Talent Relations, John Laurinaitis, who worked for All Japan in the 90s and would have no doubt seen Inoue's work. The Joshi star was offered a WWE tryout at a Raw taping in May 2004. Inoue wrestled Jazz in a dark match which was overseen by women's trainer/road agent Finlay, Laurinaitis and others. One story that came out of the tryout is that Johnny Ace was astonished when Inoue told him that she was 35, with the exec telling her she looked closer to 23 (what a sweetheart). She was understandably nervous about the tryout, posting her uncertainties on her blog and remaining in frequent contact with Laurinaitis. Her plan was to go to Minnesota and train with Brad Rehnigans (Brock Lesnar's trainer) and familiarise herself with the WWE style. Unfortunately for her, it never got that far. Inoue, who was a fifteen year veteran when she had her tryout, was deemed just OK and not offered a contract. Of course 2004 was the year that WWE held its first Diva Search, which tells you everything you need to know about how seriously they took the women's division.

Did she show him her gravure pictures? That would have gotten her the job right then and there.

Seriously though, by the time she had that tryout, she was not the same wrestler she was ten years earlier. In going through Twitter just recently, I found a tweet with HLs of one of her matches with Manami Toyota and they were doing shit men don't do now on that hard ass AJW ring. So by the time she was 35, I could understand why she was no longer physically up to it.

• Like 1