DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, dokdoyle said:

I made a locker room's collective head explode when I suggested not using Hard Rock/Heavy Metal as the music before the show. I said "How much Death Metal do you think is being played in the mini van heading to the show tonight?" We were in rural New Brunswick so I put together a playlist of stuff that was popular on Radio/streaming, high energy. 

When it came time to pick a theme for myself, I choose a pop style hip hop song, and the boss asked me why and gave me a bunch of Butt Rock songs I should use. Why would I want the same style that everyone else on the show has, I want to be different.

Waves and Curls use I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston, and it tends to make them immediately over before they even get in the ring. Once, Jaelyn was injured so Traevon had to wrestle a singles match, so to mix it up, he used this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j40YC5d6RzA

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Have they debuted Pillman Jr. Outside of Vignettes? 

On the last NXT

That facial hair... oofta. On the Discord I commented that it looks like a photo of 1998 Mid-Life Crisis Bret Michaels or Vince Neil or somebody. The hair even looks like a wig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The old long hair plus Bandana look that the hair metal guys had, it was smart that they started that when they were young. As they aged, the bandana could gradually expand and completely obfuscate the balding process.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Log said:

I have a vague idea for an Indy wrestling character who’s a huge hipster and changes his entrance music every show to be ahead of the latest music trends. 

I had an idea for a fighter to use a different song every night for the town they are in, London Calling for London, Atlantic City for Atlantic City ect. Chilly Willy with music

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The old long hair plus Bandana look that the hair metal guys had, it was smart that they started that when they were young. As they aged, the bandana could gradually expand and completely obfuscate the balding process.

Have you ever seen Brett Micheals sans Cowboy hat and bandana?

Edited by zendragon

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Have you ever seen Brett Micheals sans Cowboy hat and bandana?

Since the 80s? Nope. Has he been photographed without them recently?

Looking at CageMatch, the only times that Piper and Valentine were in the same match after the December 1983 loop of dog collar matches on JCP house shows was in battle royals. Even with how long they were both in the WWF with Piper as a face and Valentine as a heel. But there's a few other WWF heels that never faced Piper. I don't think Honky Tonk Man vs Roddy Piper would have been good but it probably would have been amusing bullshit

They did 8 different Dog Collar Matches (that are on CageMatch) post-Starrcade, which seems like an insane thing to do multiple times in a month, much less 5 times in 6 days (December 25th-30th, 1983)

So it was probably a perfect pairing to get the matches we got.

• Like 2

On the subject of WWE and them using currently popular music back in the day.. I’m still shocked that NXT used Billie Eilish right around the same time she was blowing up in popularity. I know they used Poppy too, but it was cool when they changed things up and went with music that wasn’t your usual heavy metal fair that Triple H seems to enjoy.

• Like 2

Just now, zendragon said:

do you think Vince knows Bon Scott is no longer alive?

Oh please can we let this silly stereotype of Vince being so out of touch go? Bon Scott died in 1980. Vince's pop culture knowledge is up to 1990 at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I finally watched the Cody Rhodes documentary. It is one of the best documentaries they've done on the Network. It also makes Cody not winning the title look like the wrong decision even more in hindsight. WWE have always been great at spinning the narrative in their favor but it's really no way around it. Thankfully Cody is still just as over as he was when he walked in to Wrestlemania vs Roman. I believe even in losing next week LA Knight will still be as over going in to his match with Roman as he will when it's over. I enjoy Roman as a heel and I'm enjoying his title run in general but I do believe alot of what the Bloodline has been doing since Mania didn't need for him to be champ. Even outside of Cody finishing the story, he is legitimately a draw and a reason the houses are trending up now. They don't need the main champion to be a draw at all anymore obviously. Roman is working Crown Jewel and not SS just a few weeks later as an example that they can afford to have Roman off of one of the big 4 PLEs and still draw the same house. I know it's completely possible that Roman will still be Champ past Mania which more likely would be the thing to hurt Cody if he does get a rematch and lose again.

It doesn't happen as much now and when it does it's probably because of copyright issues, but when the UFC rejected fighter choices for walkout music, the go-to replacement would be stuff like the RHCP's cover of Higher Ground. It's always something that's a good song, but doesn't fit the fighter at all. It's akin to Ric Flair and Easy Lover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I finally watched the Cody Rhodes documentary. It is one of the best documentaries they've done on the Network. It also makes Cody not winning the title look like the wrong decision even more in hindsight. WWE have always been great at spinning the narrative in their favor but it's really no way around it. Thankfully Cody is still just as over as he was when he walked in to Wrestlemania vs Roman. I believe even in losing next week LA Knight will still be as over going in to his match with Roman as he will when it's over. I enjoy Roman as a heel and I'm enjoying his title run in general but I do believe alot of what the Bloodline has been doing since Mania didn't need for him to be champ. Even outside of Cody finishing the story, he is legitimately a draw and a reason the houses are trending up now. They don't need the main champion to be a draw at all anymore obviously. Roman is working Crown Jewel and not SS just a few weeks later as an example that they can afford to have Roman off of one of the big 4 PLEs and still draw the same house. I know it's completely possible that Roman will still be Champ past Mania which more likely would be the thing to hurt Cody if he does get a rematch and lose again.

honestly Cody as champion would get me to watch WWE again on a weekly basis. Which is weird for me to say, as someone who isn’t that interested in WWE and hated Cody in AEW (but I always felt his presentation there was better suited for WWE).

That, and if Punk actually shows up at Survivor Series. But at this point I expect to see that dude in TNA or something. Which I wouldn’t hate, actually.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

That, and if Punk actually shows up at Survivor Series. But at this point I expect to see that dude in TNA or something. Which I wouldn’t hate, actually.

If TNA was on a better network than Axs that would be the only way I see Punk coming to TNA. He doesn't need the money but I doubt they could afford him even though he'd probably fit in vest with that roster and it would be interesting how much the viewership would grow if he came in Plus being as though Ace Steel works there I'm sure he'd be showing up backstage alot.

9 hours ago, Brandon-E said:

Why isn't Tony Garea in the WWE Hall of Fame? You'd think he'd already be in because of how long he lasted there.

You’d think he would have been inducted in some year before he left the company in 2014. Especially during one of the years in the 1990s when the WWF was inducting their notable road agents into the HOF.