DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Off the top of my head, QT is currently the AAA Latinoamericano Champion, and Shida pretty recently held a Stardom title. Willow also just had the brief New Japan reign after Sasha Banks changed the finish due to injury.

Edit:

Poking around on Wiki quickly, Kommander is half of the AAA tag champs as well, and Vikingo is Mega champ.

Shida was half of the International Ribbon Tag champs with Ibuki Hoshi in Ice Ribbon, and she's still the Regina di WAVE champion, although she hasn't defended since March.

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

But Jay White doesn’t factor into the New Japan hierarchy or their booking plans, because Jay White is signed to AEW. I don’t understand this - both Andrade and Jay are AEW guys, so both would have priority in this case.

Shit, either I forgot about that or didn't read about it. Probably the former. 

In either case, Andrade is just coming back and could use a win. Plus, that would be a pretty big win. 

• Like 1

I thought the Workhorsemen acquitted themselves well against FTR and I'd be way in to this match with an extra 5 minutes or so.  Henry wrestles like the best version of an early-2000s indy heavyweight, but with the worst tendencies restrained.  Drake was hitting like a truck and the pop for his fatboy moonsault had to be the biggest of his career.  I'd like to see them on TV more, maybe taking a couple of the job spots that 2.0 has now.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Will either of you just chill eventually? 

Why are you calling me out (again) when you never comment on his crap posts? Maybe it’s time I put my favorite gimmick poster on ignore. Then again I’d miss out on all your brilliant Cody Rhodes related takes that are colder than the opinions Stephen A regurgitates on First Take.

Watched Collision live, catching up on Dynamite & Rampage... 

Jay and Andrade beat the absolute hell out of each other. AEWs production has done an infinitely better job documenting El Idolo's feint kick back elbow thing, it's actually looked killer recently. Loved White needing the ropes for the finish. 

Julia Hart throws great grounded punches and has become appointment viewing. Brody being her backup rules. 

Finally watched the end of Mox/Fenix and what a bummer. Rick Knox has been actively detrimental to matches for so long, cannot stand that fucking guy. 

Max/Joe was okay. I don't love Good Guy MJF. 

Eddie/Claudio ruled. Bryan/Starks ruled. 

• Like 4

I want everyone to know I hate *INSERT WRESTLER A* and I'm gonna tell you for the next 5 years. I just want to make sure any new posters joining the board or those who might have missed me commenting the first 128 times know how much I hate *INSERT WRESTLER A*. After 5 years, I promise I'll quit. 'Cause that would be too much!

EDIT: 4 years not 5. Again, that'd be too much.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Why are you calling me out (again) when you never comment on his crap posts? Maybe it’s time I put my favorite gimmick poster on ignore. Then again I’d miss out on all your brilliant Cody Rhodes related takes that are colder than the opinions Stephen A regurgitates on First Take.

So you’re not going to chill, noted.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Will either of you just chill eventually? 

I haven't said shit in like a week. My kid's here, so I haven't even checked in for a couple days. I am truly sorry for having apparently unleashed this evil upon the world, but there's only so much blame I'm willing to take.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, just drew said:

I haven't said shit in like a week. My kid's here, so I haven't even checked in for a couple days. I am truly sorry for having apparently unleashed this evil upon the world, but there's only so much blame I'm willing to take.

I deem this to be sufficiently chill. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I deem this to be sufficiently chill. Thank you.

Wow two trolls forming an alliance while claiming to be chill. How cool. 

And to stay on topic has anyone improved more than Julia Hart this year? If I were to rank the matches of Wrestle Dream that I’m excited about her match with Statlander would be in the top three for sure. Which considering the only two I’d definitely put ahead of it are Danielson/Sabre Jr and Christian vs Darby 2 out of 3 falls I think that’s high praise.

Edited by LF2

That Collison Cowboy award must have been made of lead. Reminded me of one of Andrade early AEW matches where after kick out of a top rope brain buster someone jobbed to an ipad. Other than that really fun show, loved The Workhorsemen getting a bit of time. Great main event, Nice and violent, usually when WWE does these match they feel "sterile" and safe none of that here, Julia continues to impress

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zendragon said:

That Collison Cowboy award must have been made of lead. Reminded me of one of Andrade early AEW matches where after kick out of a top rope brain buster someone jobbed to an ipad. Other than that really fun show, loved The Workhorsemen getting a bit of time. Great main event, Nice and violent, usually when WWE does these match they feel "sterile" and safe none of that here, Julia continues to impress

The thing I’m curious about is which of the Gunns gets to be the Collision Cowboy of the month for September since we should have a new one next week (unless they keep letting Juice win it monthly). 

I agree with your take on the main event too. I thought they did a better job of making it violent while still seeming to fit on a wrestling show than what Mox does in his matches. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, hobo joe said:

I get it, I’ve just never liked the idea of someone “not needing” the belt to be over. The belt should be on the most over wrestler. That’s what the belt’s for 

been mulling this over in my brain for a bit. And I've come to the conclusion that "over without the belt" is a dated concept. Now its always a plus to an act that can get hot without a title, but back in the day Hogan wasn't defending the title regularly on TV so you had to pay to see him on the A house show loop, but you also needed some who could be "over without the belt" like a Piper or a Dusty to headline the B house show loop, obviously no one is running multiple house show tours concurrently anymore.

4 hours ago, Coletti said:

Julia Hart throws great grounded punches and has become appointment viewing. Brody being her backup rules. 

I thought so too, on both counts. Her and Brody as a little clique-within-a-faction feels right to me. Also was I just not paying attention before or has Hart put on a lot of muscle mass recently? I don't recall her looking quite so cut in the Anna Jay streetfight.

• Like 2

Remember when Skye Blue and Julia were green as grass?  Neither do I.  Their match on Rampage was pretty good.  Both of them are light years better than they used to be.   it is cool to see a pro wrestler evolve and improve right before your eyes.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I misread this as "Chili Club" because I'm tired and thought you defected to another chain restaurant.

This is how I misread it too! I thought it was slang for people who like a certain wrestler i.e. "count me in as a member of the Richard Slinger Club!", but I couldn't think of anyone whose name or catchphrase references Chili. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

This is how I misread it too! I thought it was slang for people who like a certain wrestler i.e. "count me in as a member of the Richard Slinger Club!", but I couldn't think of anyone whose name or catchphrase references Chili. 

The closest I can think of is ECW legend Chilly Willy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1