DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK ONE

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

"This has an asterisk with no Jones and no Kelce" fuck off Tirico, every team has injuries, it doesn't mean a win has an asterisk.

Yeah, we'll ignore Detroit missing a wide receiver and - as always - fighting against the officiating. You know it's bad when Collinsworth is literally laughing at the non-calls. 

• Like 2

Tonight wasn't great for the "Chris Jones is holding out waiting to get paid because of how the Chiefs defense plays without him" strategy since.. well... the Chiefs defense gave up 14 points tonight after a 2022 where they gave up 22 a game.. but I figure the two sides aren't gonna bend after one game

Chiefs lost because they had no playmakers for Mahomes to throw to and a coach who was mortally scared to go for it in short yardage. At least one of those things will likely correct itself before the year is over because the offense is Mahomes to Kelce and every other receiver is just a side condiment that you go to when Kelce isn't a realistic target

Andy has always been a little too conservative and tonight he didn't trust Mahomes to make something of the 7 dwarves that were receivers tonight

So a championship hangover being what it is. The Chiefs will probably win like 12 instead of 15 with a 6-0 record vs the AFC West. As for the Lions.. well, they're slightly better than a Chiefs team that didn't have Kelce.. so that's... a 10-7 team? I don't know. Will Dan Campbell punt in almost every short yardage spot for 17 games?

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Tonight wasn't great for the "Chris Jones is holding out waiting to get paid because of how the Chiefs defense plays without him" strategy since.. well... the Chiefs defense gave up 14 points tonight after a 2022 where they gave up 22 a game.. but I figure the two sides aren't gonna bend after one game

Chiefs lost because they had no playmakers for Mahomes to throw to and a coach who was mortally scared to go for it in short yardage. At least one of those things will likely correct itself before the year is over because the offense is Mahomes to Kelce and every other receiver is just a side condiment that you go to when Kelce isn't a realistic target

Andy has always been a little too conservative and tonight he didn't trust Mahomes to make something of the 7 dwarves that were receivers tonight

So a championship hangover being what it is. The Chiefs will probably win like 12 instead of 15 with a 6-0 record vs the AFC West. As for the Lions.. well, they're slightly better than a Chiefs team that didn't have Kelce.. so that's... a 10-7 team? I don't know. Will Dan Campbell punt in almost every short yardage spot for 17 games?

The two Lions touchdown drives and the one that ended with the find felt like a strong argument to cut Jones a check, but the rest of the game didn't. Kinda a weird vibe on that.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The two Lions touchdown drives and the one that ended with the find felt like a strong argument to cut Jones a check, but the rest of the game didn't. Kinda a weird vibe on that.

Some games, the Chiefs defense has a way of disappearing until the other team reaches the red zone. It's possible some of the Chiefs defensive strength involves other teams offensive flaws in the red zone

The Lions fake punt probably set the expectations too high so where going for a fake punt deep on the wrong side of the field and punting at any other team doesn't make sense. Same sort of thing went on with Andy kicking field goals and then going for it on 4th and 25

Before tonight, the only times the Chiefs lost starting Mahomes in a game where they gave up 21 or less were two games vs the Colts. The Colts weren't good in either of those years (2019 or 2022). Fortunately for the Chiefs, they don't play the Colts this year

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, Toney might want to see if the Lions will give a game check.

As I saw somewhere else - Campbell should give him a game ball. Have to hand it to him though - he'll drop it otherwise. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 7

in a game where there was a reasonable argument to turn down a penalty because you'd prefer giving the Chiefs 4th and 2 instead of 3rd and 17, the Chiefs kicking a field goal on 4th and 2 to go from up 3 to up 6 was pretty darned sad

23 rushes by the Chiefs and i'm guessing most of the 17 non-Mahomes rushes were on first downs. Basically the Chiefs set of downs is... rush first down, pass second down, successful 3rd down conversion despite all logic, and lather rinse repeat

Which can work out pretty well when you have two of the best players on the field with Mahomes and Kelce out there. But it's an offense where your QB can lead the team in rushing because he's also gonna throw for a lot of yards too

It'll be a little difficult to compare the Lions and Jaguars if Kelce plays against the Jags after missing this game but it would surprise me if the Lions were a better team than the Jags this year

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Giants fans sitting at home watching this game with giant erections. I was wondering who the Chiefs fans/media would blame if they lose (Bieniemy being gone? Kelce being hurt? Jones holding out?) but the answer is clearly going to be Toney.

Toney being terrible warms my cold dark heart

• Like 3

7 hours ago, waffle said:

Some brutal drops tonight for KC. Toney was on another planet all game. 

My father said that when he gets to practice next week, that Reid and Mahomes are going to give him a Code Red and dump superglue on his hands while the rest of the team takes turns punching him in the arms for five minutes. 

• Haha 2

I didn’t really pick up on hangover vibes or complacent vibes that game. I think the Lions beat that ass and that’s all there is to it. Looking at the Chiefs after the game, they had a desperate look of a team that just got that ass kicked. It wasn’t the same as their postSB loss look where they were more mad because they knew they’d blew it by assuming they’d win. 

The Lions caught some breaks with the drops and the Chiefs not capitalizing on their early mistakes. I’m not taking anything away from them, but I’ll just add that nothing’s for sure yet. I think the Lions won’t always be that lucky and that the Chiefs won’t always be that shook. Neither team will be out of it before other teams will so they’ll both keep playing hard.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t stand the announcers good gosh. They’re 1 hair from turning Mahomes heel with their mouths alone.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I didn’t really pick up on hangover vibes or complacent vibes that game. I think the Lions beat that ass and that’s all there is to it. Looking at the Chiefs after the game, they had a desperate look of a team that just got that ass kicked. It wasn’t the same as their postSB loss look where they were more mad because they knew they’d blew it by assuming they’d win. 

The Lions caught some breaks with the drops and the Chiefs not capitalizing on their early mistakes. I’m not taking anything away from them, but I’ll just add that nothing’s for sure yet. I think the Lions won’t always be that lucky and that the Chiefs won’t always be that shook. Neither team will be out of it before other teams will so they’ll both keep playing hard.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t stand the announcers good gosh. They’re 1 hair from turning Mahomes heel with their mouths alone.

The announcers were awful - no clue what has happened to Tirico but Collinsworth has always been awful - but Collinsworth saying the one KC OL guy was "lined up at slot receiver" was hilarious.  Both guys, like nearly every announce crew does, acted like the superstar QB (Mahomes in this case) absolutely never makes any mistakes.  Mahomes had plenty of throws that were just airballs up into the middle of coverage downfield that could've easily been turned into picks but those got ignored.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

That hair has long since been shaved.  Just as they slurped Favre, then they slurped Brady, now they slurp Mahomes.

And there's no respite for us, because anyone who knocks them off the pedestal starts getting slurped in their stead.

This is the marketing strategy and has been for decades.  They think this HELPS.

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

The announcers were awful - no clue what has happened to Tirico but Collinsworth has always been awful - but Collinsworth saying the one KC OL guy was "lined up at slot receiver" was hilarious.  Both guys, like nearly every announce crew does, acted like the superstar QB (Mahomes in this case) absolutely never makes any mistakes.  Mahomes had plenty of throws that were just airballs up into the middle of coverage downfield that could've easily been turned into picks but those got ignored.

Collinsworth once again screaming like Bobby Heenan insisting that the body slam we just saw on national television was merely a hip toss.

That last night beat all IMO and I sat through postprime Brady, Favre, and I’ll even throw one in that’s been forgotten but it also happened…postprime Joe (Chiefs). I mean I’ve heard all the butt suckin that they do, and that yesterday was the worst. We haven’t even named all the examples from yesterday yet. Remember this part? SUPERMAN CAPE IS ON!