DVDVR Message Board

December 2013 NHL thread

odessasteps

After getting off the OT snide the other night against Calgary, Detroit wins a shootout (after 11 straight losses) tonight over Toronto.  Fun game with lots of offense and lots of great saves.  Terrible missed call late that cost Detroit a penalty shot as the Leafs goalie threw his stick at Andrew Miller as he broke in for a shot attempt. 

The only bright side to Detroit's injury woes this season - 6 of top 9 forwards were out of lineup tonight plus Jimmy Howard - is that some young guys from Grand Rapids have come up and actually contributed.  Unlike years past where the young guys had zero skill and contributed nothing, these guys - Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco - have skill and scoring goals and actually doing stuff.  Daniel Alfredsson has also been pretty good.  He's the one guy on the Wings roster that seems to understand that it really is OK to shoot the puck instead of constantly passing into triple coverage.

Another upside for tonight's game?  The return of Danny Dekeyser.  He's been missed big-time, just like he was last year in the playoffs.  He's easily Detroit's #2 defenseman - and he's only played 33 games in the NHL.

Kick them while they are down, I say...

Coilers.jpg

Bieksa for Hall is still on the table.

Tabe, Dekeyser as your guys' #2 says more about Detroit than it does about him, right? He was pretty good from what I saw at the tail end of last year but shouldn't he be a depth guy ideally for the time being? Also, what do you think about that Ericsson extension from a while back? That guy has never impressed me and I know the majority of Wings fans deplore him. 

The Wings are extra bland, though.  They had to try to force the guys to have a fake talk about Datsyuk. 

I know there are at least a couple funny guys on the Canucks.  Bieksa's constantly messing with teammates, David Booth is a jesus freak animal hunter, Luongo and Lack go on man dates together, Kesler's a miserable bastard, etc.

When Sidney Crosby shows the most personality on the show, it's saying something.

Kevin Bieksa as Ryan Kesler does not get old. THE GUZZLER.

But, yes, hockey players are dreadful. Bunch of farm boys from the Prairies. Jonathan Toews reminds me of the dude that is so serious he snaps and kills somebody for looking at him sideways. "I TRY REALLY HARD, PRACTICE AND I WIN TWO CUPS. YOU DO NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN, THAT IS WHY YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO LIVE," as he throttles some ignorant ass Canucks fan to death.

Hockey's complete opposition to people having personality is pretty frustrating sometimes. The backlash against young guys like Yakupov and Hertl displaying some actual emotion makes me shake my head.

BTW Hertl's knee injury might be nasty. Initially expected to be out "at least a month", now there's whispers it could be as bad as "rest of the season".

Tabe, Dekeyser as your guys' #2 says more about Detroit than it does about him, right? He was pretty good from what I saw at the tail end of last year but shouldn't he be a depth guy ideally for the time being? Also, what do you think about that Ericsson extension from a while back? That guy has never impressed me and I know the majority of Wings fans deplore him.

DeKeyser is a stud. Not just saying that because he went to my alma mater, either. He's a legit #2 at this point.

Ericsson has actually improved a lot. I thought he would be great five years ago and then he just never improved. Now he has. Is he great? No. But he's a solid #3 being paid #3 money. A lot of Wings fans dislike him but that's because they think he's still the guy from two years ago.

I hate shootouts. Give me a 10 minute 4-on-4 overtime and leave it at that. Ties aren't the worst thing in the world.

Ties blow.  Especially when teams were getting into the high teens or over 20 ties in a season.  Should be a better way to eliminate ties but you dont want the fans to see how much better 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 hockey would be.

Who isn't bland in hockey? You say that like that are any teams that aren't super white middle class rich kids coached from the age of 13 to be as white as possible.

Mike Modano, today:

"NHL should fine teams for celebratory high 5s down the bench. Line back up at center like you've been there before"

You can't even make this shit up.

• Like 1

I think he signaled fair catch there, should not count as a goal. :)

Jets completed the Grand Slam of Shit tonight. They have now lost to the Sabres, Panthers, Flames and Oilers. They couldn't even start a line brawl correctly. Throw punches, not spears.

Who isn't bland in hockey? You say that like that are any teams that aren't super white middle class rich kids coached from the age of 13 to be as white as possible.

Mike Modano, today:

"NHL should fine teams for celebratory high 5s down the bench. Line back up at center like you've been there before"

My buddy Jay, immediately after the Jets scored the tying 2-2 goal. "Jesus Christ you guys, you just scored a goal in the NHL, maybe show a little enthusiasm?"

Somehow I feel that this comment applies as a response to both FSW's original point and Dewar's post about how abysmal the Jets are.

Mike Modano, today:

God forbid they let hockey look like any sort of fun to play...

What a curmudgeon.