DVDVR Message Board

December 2013 NHL thread

odessasteps

Stuff I learned from watching Center Ice: McDonalds in Canada now serves poutine. That's way better than the Boston Pizza pizza burger. Has Five Guys made it's way to Canada yet, because their fries as poutine would be so awesome as to cause the universe to implode?

The Panthers have been really good lately. They actually look like a legitimately competent team. Even Clemmensen has been really good. I have no idea what could account for this so I'm just going to guess they did Santeria and sacrificed a goat in the dressing room.

What an embarassing performance by the Leafs tonight. Typical Carlyle double standard where he benches Gardiner for a bad giveaway but keeps playing Franson & Phaneuf after multiple just as bad giveaways that luckily didn't lead to goals. This team has major problems.

Jets took a 2-0 lead on Buffalo and stopped trying at that point. What a bunch of shitbums.

How much real noise is there in Winnipeg about Pavelic vs. Montoya, if any?

There's people talking about it. I think Montoya should play more, I think he should get 3 out of every 10 games, instead one or two. There's more noise from the fanbase about firing Coach Noel. Too many people around here have their head in the sand. The Jets are an average team in an above average division, but folks think they should be making the playoffs this season. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

Jets took a 2-0 lead on Buffalo and stopped trying at that point. What a bunch of shitbums.

How much real noise is there in Winnipeg about Pavelic vs. Montoya, if any?

There's people talking about it. I think Montoya should play more, I think he should get 3 out of every 10 games, instead one or two. There's more noise from the fanbase about firing Coach Noel. Too many people around here have their head in the sand. The Jets are an average team in an above average division, but folks think they should be making the playoffs this season. Not going to happen.

Montoya should definitely be playing more. I don't know anyone that doesn't think that. There are gaping holes in Pavelec's game, which is only worsened by the erratic play of the team in front of him.

I still really, really like Noel, but the...I don't know...continued lethargy? of the team is all on the coach.

Schiefele's picked it up, though, so I'm still positive of the future with him and Trouba.

I remember wanting to like the Thrashers (I live about an hour closer to Atlanta than I do Raleigh) but that team was run so horribly for so long. There's just a stink about them now. I figured that moving to Winnipeg would fix that but it didn't.

They should get rid of anyone who played for Atlanta and start over again.

(by the way, the Hurricanes would be glad to take Ladd back).

Jeez. Every fucking night the NHL highlights are just of dirty hits. The one on Schenn was nasty.

They were talking on 590 the other day how theere used to be a suspension every couple weeks and now tou have them evwey day, usualy a 2 or 3 gamer for a head hit or hit from behind.

They should get rid of anyone who played for Atlanta and start over again.

There was a column written about this about a week ago. I posted the link here and our resident Jets fan blew it off as nonsense. Then yesterday I watched the Jets let the Sabres steamroll them with one goal in particular coming when Byfuglien just acted as a pylon in front of his own net.

Apparently Noel's job is safe but that team definitely needs some sort of culture change unless the goal is actually to be a .500 team until the ex-Thrashers retire.

As always, I'm a day behind on commenting since I don't see Wings games live (just replays):

The game against the Ducks Tuesday night was brutal.  1st period was as bad as it gets.  1-0 lead turns into 4-1 deficit and includes Kyle Quincey getting kicked out* (and likely suspended).  2nd goal was total BS though as Teemu Selanne just flat out decked the Wings goalie with no call.  Skated right, knocked him over, 5 seconds later puck is in the net.  Then the typical Wings - Kindl gets a nice feed just inside the blueline, skates into the slot, wide open, no one around.  Does he shoot?  Nope.  He plays for the Red Wings so he skates off to the side and tries an impossible pass that goes across the front of the net completely untouched.  Anaheim recovers the puck, bing, bing, bing, it's in the Wings' net.  So typical.  How I long for a team that doesn't feature a roster full of guys that skate INTO traffic and would rather try an impossible pass over actually shooting when open.  Doesn't help that Detroit had 8 starters out of the lineup and Datsyuk hasn't regained form since getting concussed*.  Ugly game all around.

* - Quincey's hit on Ryan Getlaf was a nasty one and deserves a suspension.  That said, this hit is a perfect example of one you never saw 20 years ago.  Today's players all turn their backs to the play and will stop short 4 feet off the boards because they "can't be hit".  It creates horrible hits like this one.  Don Cherry ranted about this on Coach's Corner on the 14th and he's right - guys make themselves vulnerable and create situations that simply never occurred 20 years ago. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjYloO17js

** - then you've got the elbow that Pavel Datsyuk took from Jared Cowen - an incredibly blatant and dirty elbow and yet it goes without ANY penalty.  None on the play itself (which also featured a crosscheck) and then nothing from the league afterward.  Amazing.  Cowen was suspended right after that for a different shot to the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAh4bU1dnTE

* - Quincey's hit on Ryan Getlaf was a nasty one and deserves a suspension.  That said, this hit is a perfect example of one you never saw 20 years ago.  Today's players all turn their backs to the play and will stop short 4 feet off the boards because they "can't be hit".  It creates horrible hits like this one.  Don Cherry ranted about this on Coach's Corner on the 14th and he's right - guys make themselves vulnerable and create situations that simply never occurred 20 years ago.

Did you see what Phaneuf did to Kevan Miller last week? Exactly the same thing and he got 2 games. There is still no logic to NHL suspensions. Then you see a guy like Tom Wilson come from 100 yards away to throw a vicious hit and he gets nothing as well. I just don't know.

I agree with Cherry's take on guys being too comfortable out there and putting themselves in bad positions. We live in a world now where if you even dare accuse the victim of being responsible for what happened you get looked down upon as some sort of knuckledragger. It's the smart play these days to actually turn your back away from the boards and protect yourself going down so you can draw a penalty. Shouldn't be that way. I think it's only going to get worse now that a lot of kids are coming up through leagues with no bodychecking.

The anti-fighting lobby was apparently a-okay with Orpik's hit on Eriksson.  A legal hit but not a clean hit, if you catch my drift. 

We don't want punches because oh god think of their brains but hey if a guy gets blown up by a guy who could care less about the puck, that's cool because his initial contact wasn't with the head.  These people also love to cite the no-fighting in the NFL, holding it up as some sort of utopia.  The amount of dirty stuff that goes on every Sunday is nuts.  It happens so much that it barely causes a stir anymore.  But hey, at least no one punches each other.

My favourite rant of the weekend was Milbury rolling out "if we had obstruction this wouldn't happen", while rolling out the cross check Getzlaf took. Yes because clearly without obstruction the logical next step is drilling him from behind with your stick into the boards. I dread us going back to the obstruction era. Even as a hardcore hockey fan, that era was so hard to watch, and I don't see much to suggest it was any safer.

A lot of people don't seem to get that sports and games are kind of like a tapestry. You start pulling on the loose strings and you can unravel a whole bunch of things. That's what this whole road we're going down feels like to me, that the game will end up harming itself as much as it helps. It's a very complicated thing without any simple solution.

• Like 1