DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

The stories saying Punk was aggressive and demanding that Nemeth say it to his face describe the vibe as strange and off-putting. Not scary or potentially violent.

Was it both Nemeth brothers who are strong NCAA wrestlers, or just Dolph?

Punk is the ultimate "fake it till you make it" guy - average skills, but talks a huge game

Tried to fight Teddy Hart - got his ass kicked

Tried to be a UFC fighter - got his ass kicked

In an environment where no one's going to step forward and kick his ass, of course he's going to run his mouth

I could absolutely see Rush and Andrade not dealing with his shit, so Punk specifically requesting them for Collision might come back to bite him

Edited by Dolphman 3000

God! When's TK going to pull his head out of his ass and do something about Samoa Joe! Clearly, him turning a blind eye to Joe using someone else's phone to order food on their dime for the whole locker room is a sign that Khan has NO CONTROL over his locker room! And forcing someone in a lower spot on the roster to do that many pushups!!!! Don't even get me started! Maybe if he wasn't stretched so thin trying to book three shows and ROH on top of that, he'd be able to do something!

I always knew Samoa Joe was like this. He thinks because he's big and he's on some big-time Amazon Prime show, he can push people around! What a jerk! I won't be watching Collision anymore as long as he's on there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, AxB said:

The stories saying Punk was aggressive and demanding that Nemeth say it to his face describe the vibe as strange and off-putting. Not scary or potentially violent. 

Was it both Nemeth brothers who are strong NCAA wrestlers, or just Dolph?

So what if Nemeth was a strong NCAA wrestler? Punk is a trained MMA..... sorry I can't finish that without laughing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

If I can be serious for a moment...

Amateur wrestling ain't like riding a bicycle. If you're not in a wrestling room every day, you lose it. Maybe high level wrestlers like Henry Cejudo, Daniel Cormier, or Ben Askren (who briefly trained with Punk at Roufusport in Milwaukee) were still decent after not wrestling for years, but every person who tried to go back into real amateur wrestling after significant time off got their doors blown off in international competition. That's why whathisface in WWE still wants to wrestle competitively.

Dolph Ziggler hasn't had a real amateur wrestling match in what? 20 years?

Ryan Nemeth, on the other hand, I don't recall him being linked to amateur wrestling.

Didn't Angle want to try to go back to the Olympics after he was in the wwf?

IIRC, Yatsu came close to making Japanese Olympic team after being a pro. 

Edit: Yatsu qualified for 1988 Olympics but was ruled a professional athlete and deemed ineligible. 

Edited by odessasteps

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Anyone know the details about the latest Punk/Jungle Boy news? JB hasn’t been on Collision, so is this something that would have happened at either the most recent Chicago Dynamite or Forbidden Door? 

Supposedly some wrestlers snubbed punk at forbidden door like jb, Britt and (I think) Matt Hardy. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, Yatsu came close to making Japanese Olympic team after being a pro. 

Angle also competed in a strong era of collegiate wrestling as well as a time where the heavier divisions were loaded internationally. He could have went back for a little while.

A lot of the guys you find now in pro wrestling (and MMA to be fair) were D2/D3/JUCO champions or were lower level D1. Dolph was decent IIRC but he wasn't like a Brock, who still won a D1 title even if it was a weak division at the time.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

He took a break from TNA to train for the 2012 Olympics, but he said he realized he had no upper body strength left after his numerous injuries and stopped after a couple months

Edited by Dolphman 3000

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

He took a break from TNA to train for the 2012 Olympics, but he said he realized he had no upper body strength left after his numerous injuries and stopped after a couple months

If it was for 2000 for the Sydney games/cycle, he may have had a chance. By 2012, he had so many injuries and substance issues. He wouldn't have even made it to the U.S. trials.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I know they're using him in ROH but it is a crime that Big Stoke isn't on my teevee every week.

this is a petition to bring Stoke back to AEW tv and send QT and his crew to ROH.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Alternate reality where the Cole/MJF team doesn't happen. Instead it's Jungle Boy and MJF. JB turns heel with Max. Max converts him to Judaism. Holds a late Bar Mitzvah for him.

"Today I am a Jungle Man!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh I’m aware of the many failed attempts to get a new Fletch movie off the ground. Probably not a great sign for my desire for sequels that you don’t know that I’m talking about Confess, Fletch (2022), starring Jon Hamm as Fletch. 😞 

How was this? I've actually been curious for a while since I like Jon Hamm and Roy Wood jr.

31 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sorry, the news is moving fast, I meant the fresh news about people apparently asking Punk to step in and tell JB not to fuck around with real glass for a spot. 

This is the quote I found, not sure what news site it's from:

According to those on the side of Punk, Perry wanted to use real glass for a backstage segment. Punk was of the belief that he did this so he didn’t need to come to work the next week, which he sees as a big problem in the company.

Per Punk’s side of things, Perry was going against production, doctors and Tony Schiavone advising him not to do it and them telling him that smashing real glass was a safety hazard, and Perry wasn’t happy with that. Shortly after, there were guidelines put in place and forwarded to talent of things that required clearance

Edited by Dolphman 3000

If you’re siding with Jungle Boy on this one, then you might be as dumb as he is for wanting to use real glass instead of sugar glass. Even Mox isn’t dumb enough to use the real stuff.

And Meltzer is out here heavily implying Punk was at fault for Hangman’s promo being moved off-site, another “reliable journalist” in the dirtsheets says different, and nobody will bat an eye because it’s Meltzer (lying again) and everyone has Punk Derangement Syndrome right now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

This is the quote I found, not sure what news site it's from:

According to those on the side of Punk, Perry wanted to use real glass for a backstage segment. Punk was of the belief that he did this so he didn’t need to come to work the next week, which he sees as a big problem in the company.

Landlord Phil Brooks, friend of David Zaslav, absolutely hates workers-rights

Motherfucker, they don't have a union to begin with. What are you talking about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How was this? I've actually been curious for a while since I like Jon Hamm and Roy Wood jr.

I’ve been preaching the gospel of Confess, Fletch whenever there’s an opportunity, think it’s a great time. Maybe about as well deployed as Hamm has been in a movie (not sure what would even be second place, maybe Baby Driver?). Some fun, brief interplay with John Slattery in there too that should definitely scratch an itch if you’re  a Mad Men fan.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Motherfucker, they don't have a union to begin with. What are you talking about?

Maybe he was trying to self-harm, and instead of handling that properly, Punk just called him lazy and made self-harming illegal

Shame the "we support mental health" crew sides with the bully in that situation