DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Dustin said "So I guess all French Canadians are assholes" to her, Uno walked by and Dustin said the same thing to him and Uno said "I'm French Canadian" haha

What gets me is she says she spent 40 seconds total in the match where other people called her spots for her and they decided to judge her on that. 

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dustin said "So I guess all French Canadians are assholes" to her, Uno walked by and Dustin said the same thing to him and Uno said "I'm French Canadian" haha

What gets me is she says she spent 40 seconds total in the match where other people called her spots for her and they decided to judge her on that. 

We're hearing only one side of the story. 

A lot of this just sounds like some catty bullshit. We might be missing some key details. Also, if someone offers you a job especially in a role like that, part of it inherently is helping with some of the disorganization. Agents/coaches tend to wear multiple hats. Keep in mind, TV days usually aren't banner days for shit to go right. People are super busy. In addition, if you have pre-existing drama with some of the people you might be training/coaching, and it sounds like that's the case, I dunno if you want to take that job to begin with. It sounds like some things went unresolved, Lufisto got booked cause TK probably saw that it would be only right to show deference to someone who was a pioneer, and some people were unhappy with that. 

Welcome to pro wrestling. 

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, a big point here: If you're dry snitching like this I dunno if you're suitable material to be working backstage in any capacity. They don't need more leaks backstage.

We're almost 5 years into the company and there haven't been any tell-all shoots

I'm assuming part of Tony keeping everyone on endless contracts is to prevent that

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, a big point here: If you're dry snitching like this I dunno if you're suitable material to be working backstage in any capacity. They don't need more leaks backstage.

When the owner and the EVPs talk to Dave, they all probably figure  "I can talk too." 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When the owner and the EVPs talk to Dave, they all probably figure  "I can talk too." 

Well, here's the thing, someone has to show restraint. I don't care if see someone shooting up heroin in a bathroom, you don't go up to them and ask for a needle too. 

Also, you cannot believe that everyone will be judged the same. This is a case specifically is of someone who (1) an outsider and (2) for all their career accomplishments and no slight to her, hasn't worked regularly in a place on this level where you're expected to go on the road and do fairly large events on a consistent basis even if it ain't the olden days where you're working everyday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Do you have a stance on this, one way or the other? If the EVP's do it, is it fair game for the rest of the people, or no?

Well, @Elsalvajeloco made a clear stance, just now...

Edited by Shartnado
A stance given

11 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

We're almost 5 years into the company and there haven't been any tell-all shoots

I'm assuming part of Tony keeping everyone on endless contracts is to prevent that

Or or or people aren't stupid and don't want to get hands put on them when folks catch them in the streets.

Four or five years ain't the same as I worked in World Class back 30 years ago so let me tell you about the Von Erichs cause all but one aren't around anymore to defend themselves. If you're still working and would like to continue working, you don't do shit like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I do think treating the women’s division as an afterthought and then blaming low rating is a very self fulfilling prophecy 

Considering they have a wonderful level of talent in that division at this point, it is a very stupid strategy!

• Like 2

There's plenty of stories of wrestlers who are absolutely lovely to fans at the merch table, and are subsequently revealed to be massive arseholes later on.

In terms of disgruntled ex-employees, the full list of AEW contracted wrestlers who are out of the company isn't that long, is it?

• Shanna
  • Jimmy Havoc
  • Joey Janela
  • Marko Stunt
  • Frankie Kazarian
  • Cody Rhodes
  • Fuego Del Sol

And no doubt a few others I'm forgetting

Edited by AxB
I forgot Fuego Del Sol. And Fuego Dos, too

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I do think treating the women’s division as an afterthought and then blaming low rating is a very self fulfilling prophecy 

9 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Considering they have a wonderful level of talent in that division at this point, it is a very stupid strategy!

I dunno if it's an afterthought considering it took WWE what? Fifteen years or more to figure how to book women even halfway decent? Granted, we have more stuff to look at hindsight and mistakes to avoid, but we're still in the trial and error phase. There's still stuff on the male side to figure out as well. It ain't exactly pristine itself.

If you listen to some critics (not me, in this case), they think TK only has a women's division because in 2023, you have to have one, lest you be targeted as sexist or what have you, and better to have one, albeit an (underperforming/underwhelming/poorly booked) one. 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you listen to some critics (not me, in this case), they think TK only has a women's division because in 2023, you have to have one, lest you be targeted as sexist or what have you, and better to have one, albeit an (underperforming/underwhelming/poorly booked) one. 

Isn't that every company though? I mean NWA has an TV title for the women. I think if anything promoters do, and rightly so depending on your viewpoints, promoters are overcompensating just because there IS that vast talent pool out there. Problem is having the prerequisite knowledge of actually doing it. WWE, like for pretty much everything from production and how run live events, got a 30 or 40 year jump on everyone. Remember these motherfuckers use to have the Jumping Bomb Angels wrestle Leilani Kai and Judy Martin like 970 times. No diss to the Glamour Girls but come on, man.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if it's an afterthought considering it took WWE what? Fifteen years or more to figure how to book women even halfway decent? Granted, we have more stuff to look at hindsight and mistakes to avoid, but we're still in the trial and error phase. There's still stuff on the male side to figure out as well. It ain't exactly pristine itself.

Tony should probably give the booking of woman's division to a couple of veterans, one of whom is a woman and then give a certain percentage of time per program to those peoples' stories!

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Isn't that every company though? I mean NWA has an TV title for the women. I think if anything promoters do, and rightly so depending on your viewpoints, promoters are overcompensating just because there IS that vast talent pool out there. Problem is having the prerequisite knowledge of actually doing it. WWE, like for pretty much everything from production and how run live events, got a 30 or 40 year jump on everyone. Remember these motherfuckers use to have the Jumping Bomb Angels wrestle Leilani Kai and Judy Martin like 970 times. No diss to the Glamour Girls but come on, man.

For much of wrestling history, women's matches were considered attractions on the card, in the same category as [little people]. And both had their own booking offices, with Moolah (or Billy Wolfe/Mildred Burke) and Lord Littlebrook running them, respectively. 

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

For much of wrestling history, women's matches were considered attractions on the card, in the same category as [little people]. And both had their own booking offices, with Moolah (or Billy Wolfe/Mildred Burke) and Lord Littlebrook running them, respectively. 

Following the CMLL division a little with Lluvia, Jarochita, Vaquer, etc it looks they still do it in Mexico at least.

But yeah, once WWE decided we can have more than 5 contracted female talent on a roster, that was the end of that.

And there should be no reason for AEW to do so (especially as a company that seems to want to brand itself as younger and forward thinking) one women’s match per show that usually goes on before the main event especially if it’s a one minute squash tells your audience “this ain’t all that important “

• Like 1