DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

The first EIGHT Scorpions albums are classics. I haven't gone beyond that but Love At First Sting is probably good too, and that's the one with three of the biggest hits. 

EDIT: Whoops! Nine -- Tokyo Tapes, one of the best live albums ever. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

And THAT is the grating part to me. Scorpions have like, 35 albums, and I'm sure 5-10 of them are pretty good - you can go with something other than Hurricane or No One once in a while.

But hey, that's our friends at iHeart or Clear channel or whatever the fuck it is. It's almost like all of broadcasting being controlled by a handful of the same entities was a poor idea

I'd sooner hear "Alien Nation" or "Hit Between The Eyes" personally

• Thanks 1

TIL there's somebody who's first and last name match my first and middle name and apparently took part in making some women's wrestling hall of fame list. Fuckin WEIRD. 

Granted, not as weird as some creep Googling board members for dirt but 🤷🏻😂

Now I'm looking this guy up and sincerely wonder if other people here thought that was me?! So weird. Consider me shook. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

TIL there's somebody who's first and last name match my first and middle name and apparently took part in making some women's wrestling hall of fame list. Fuckin WEIRD. 

Granted, not as weird as some creep Googling board members for dirt but 🤷🏻😂

So you're not the con artist of the same name from Manchester, NH who took money from my friend then?

My mistake

Full apologies

That guy fucking sucks

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

So you're not the con artist of the same name from Manchester, NH who took money from my friend then?

My mistake

Full apologies

That guy fucking sucks

Your time on this board probably won't be very long so you might want to get all your apologies in.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My last name is Coletti but if you Google Chris Coletti it's a trumpet player with a fabulous head of hair - not entirely unlike myself and very much the opposite of the bald fuck who comes up when I search Christopher Annino. I HAVE lived in Manch which makes things a whole other level of bizarre but I haven't lived in CT or RI like Bald Chris has. I'm a 42yo tattooed ex drummer with three kids and work as a courier and driver for a document management company. I'm twice married and one of my kids has CP. That's my bio. Did I mention my fine head of hair? 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Your time on this board probably won't be very long so you might want to get all your apologies in.

Can we just skip to the end where that time is up? I’m tired boss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Can It really be worse than Dave's HOF*?

*a voter whose choices seemingly never get elected 

Tell Dave to just say your picks won.

(but you didn't get that idea from me)

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. Back in the 00s a buddy of mine who owned a nightclub was good friends with Randy Orton, Batista and a bunch of the WWE crew, so they always did afterparties there after shows. This is one of those nights, in 2007 not long after Santino won the IC title.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if he has ever been on the ballot. Prob not. 

I will keep voting for Bob Armstrong and the Mongolian Stomper as long as I still have my ballot. 

Bob Armstrong is gonna be a tough one. I mean so is the Mongolian Stomper obviously, but I think Bob sits on the fringes. I am guessing a lot of his peers aren't around and the most people around today only saw an older Bob Armstrong when some of his kids were already wrestlers. Based on the Observer criteria, you would really have a make a super strong case that Bob meets all those criteria instead of being a sentimental pick.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Id argue part of it is Dave’s bias against the some of the  Southern territories. And I think Dave is also appears to look disfavorably on most guys who homesteaded a majority of their careers. 

I dunno. Maybe smaller territories. I mean most of the major territories that people care about (probably Dave included since he spent time in Dallas) are the "southern territories". You wouldn't be able to completely avoid putting people in since a vast number of notable wrestlers went through the south unless they only spent time in Shire's territory, LA, Portland, AWA, Calgary, Detroit, etc. themselves. A lot of those places were dead when many of the southern territories were still thriving.

A guy like Bullet Bob unfortunately feels like a guy everyone would want to be in, but probably should not go in.

I would compare it to Arturo Gatti in boxing. It's a real sport with a real hall of fame, but you see some of the similarities therein. The boxing hall of fame for a good while had very clear criteria and most of it filtered out the bubble guys cause most of the voters (who probably are also old timer baseball guys anyway) wouldn't be able to vote for the person they saw on the Friday fights back in the 50s and 60s as a kid. If they did, they would have to prove that guy's resume stood up compared to his contemporaries. Compared to most of the other legit sports hall of fames, they probably had the least WTF type selections. Then, they started to realize they were running out of no brainers from the Golden age of boxing through the early PPV years and everyone expected a certain amount of inductees every year. Once they ran into an Arturo Gatti, who was more popular than great in the ring, it tested their resolve to continue following the criteria. If you're a boxing fan who loves fights, Arturo Gatti would go in a heartbeat. The man absolutely exemplifies what boxing is and probably should be. The nickname "The Ultimate Blood and Guts Warrior" ain't just something Michael Buffer came up with while doing his intros. That's a nickname he certainly earned. It's the reason Gatti sold out Boardwalk Hall even years past his prime. He got a lot of casuals to watch even though he was never a big PPV draw. However, that (pure excitement and drama) ain't the criteria for the boxing hall of fame. Sold out arenas ain't. It may be for pro wrestling hall of fames like Meltzer's but not for boxing. In reality, Arturo Gatti was just a good boxer. Anytime he stepped up in competition against a hall of fame level fighter, he got absolutely destroyed on every occasion (against Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather) and he had losses to journeymen who were tough outs but still journeymen nonetheless like Ivan Robinson twice and a lower level titlist like Angel Manfredy. Moreover, some of his major, amazing come from behind knockout wins that everyone loved were against folks that would never be competitive against real Hall of Famers. Gatti never ever beat a true Hall of Famer or even a slightly elite/great fighter. He is the true sentimental pick cause he is a real throwback to the golden age of boxing back in the middle of the 20th century. If you were only going to make the exception for him, then it would PROBABLY make sense. However, it just opened up the floodgates. Now anybody who boxed in the last quarter century or more and has been retired for at least five years is in the boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY. It's a goddamn shame. You name someone even if you only heard of maybe five boxers who were not like Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson ever in your life is in the boxing hall of fame. Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of those people just like I love Gatti, but they don't have the resumes to get into Canastota. They just don't. Some of them won meaningless trinkets when the WBO or IBF became recognized sanctioning bodies and you had two more alphabet orgs to go along with the WBA and WBC so two more opportunities to win a "world title". Some of them, just like Gatti, had some really exciting fights. However, they ain't fucking Hall of Famers off of that. Who did you beat throughout your career and when did you beat that person? That's the clear criteria to get into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Once voters started to modify it to fit their beliefs, their own personal definitions, and who they grew up watching, it totally ruined it. 

That's what I see going on with a bunch of the wrestlers who are on the cusp of the old generations but newer generation fans may of heard of like Bob Armstrong and Gouldie. If they didn't go in early, they probably won't going in at all. Armstrong for at least on his end, wouldn't fucking go away cause the best storyline/program arguably of 1993/1994 involved his old ass along with Cornette. Problem is it only had what? One decent house if you look at the arenas other Hall of Famers have sold out multiple times? If that's not enough, you have to go back to his prime. How big of a star was he in Alabama/Georgia/the Florida panhandle and the surrounding places he may have popped up in and for how long? I think the only case you can truly make for Bob is pure longevity in wrestling. I don't know if that is enough for Meltzer's Hall of Fame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1