DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXVI - 8/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Detroit Style pizza is far and away, the most underrated version of pizza out there.  I will not be taking any questions on this factually correct opinion.  

It's (gonna be) August!   That means it's SUMMERSLAM!  

THE CARD~!  (Updated as announced.)

TRIBAL COMBAT~ FOR THE UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP AND  TRIBAL CHIEFTAINSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Jey Uso

FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Seth F. Rollins (c) vs. Finn Balor

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Asuka (c) vs. Bianca Bel Air vs. Charlotte Flair

FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - GUNTHER (C) vs. Drew McIntyre

THE SUMMERSLAM BATTLE ROYALE

MMA RULES - Ronda Rousey vs. Shayna Baszler

Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar

Logan Paul vs. Ricochet

--

Alright, technically nothing's official, but Meltzer says those matches are all but set.  Gotta find something for Seth (Finn?), Les Habs (Pretty Deadly, Judgment Day?), and ...  I guess LA Knight also.  Oh, hey, Austin Theory's not set on anything yet...  hmm.

Becky/Trish appears to be off along with the Women's World Title match. 

• Like 1

If I wasn't sure his knees would crumble to dust, I'd say do LA Knight vs. Austin Theory with Kevin Nash as referee

Nash has been calling out Knight on his podcast for being too much like The Rock, and I think Nash helping Knight win in his hometown would be a cool way to turn Knight face

Or do the same thing, but with Kid Rock as referee

Edited by Dolphman 3000

BTW, apparently the original plan for the tag titles was Les Ours du Canada vs. 

Spoiler

#DIY

But.... Gargano still hasn't been cleared.  So they're going "another direction".

• Like 1

This feels like what they are building to though I can see either of the women's titles matches ending up on the Smackdown before or Raw after instead of Summerslam. Even more so if they have Sami and Owens defend the belts or Knight/Theory for the US title. Guessing Judgement Day and Pretty Deadly won't be on the show beyond helping out their respective friends. 

Edited by Eivion

Dave says the US title match is probably happening on Smackdown, not the PLE.   I'm hoping Austin wins and then re-enacts this on the show:

YEAH?

I have no idea what you do with Jey Uso.   It would be nice if he won the title but I would say the chances are less than 5% and maybe I am being generous.   The going opinion is that Jimmy returns and turns on Jey which kind of sucks and feels like another Roman Reigns time killer.     Also don't know what you do with Roman while waiting for WM next year.   They shouldn't go with Solo for a while.  He has basically gone through the entire roster like melted butter except maybe Bobby Lashley

We have waited years for Roman vs Jey Uso and now that it is here nobody is sure what will be done with it because they are so dependent on Reigns breaking Hulk and maybe Bruno's record.

22 hours ago, hammerva said:

I have no idea what you do with Jey Uso.   It would be nice if he won the title but I would say the chances are less than 5% and maybe I am being generous.   The going opinion is that Jimmy returns and turns on Jey which kind of sucks and feels like another Roman Reigns time killer.     Also don't know what you do with Roman while waiting for WM next year.   They shouldn't go with Solo for a while.  He has basically gone through the entire roster like melted butter except maybe Bobby Lashley

We have waited years for Roman vs Jey Uso and now that it is here nobody is sure what will be done with it because they are so dependent on Reigns breaking Hulk and maybe Bruno's record.

My prediction - Jimmy will return and accidently hit Jey when aiming for Roman or Solo, costing him the match. But Jey will forgive him and they all move on.

• Like 1

I know "ironic" isn't the term for it, but it is a funny coincidence that Seth Rollins and Finn Balor are again facing each other at SummerSlam for a recently created "top" title because previous two were unified (not so) recently. I hope they both get through this one without serious injuries, though!

• Like 2

I’m probably more intrigued about tonight than I have been anything with WWE since Mania.

When Sami didn’t beat Roman, the excuse was “But Cody.”

When Cody didn’t win, the excuse was “But Jey.”

Going to be very interesting to see what the next “But” is if Jey loses.

It certainly doesn’t feel like Jey has been built up to win. But I think the emergence of Lashley & SP as a unit potentially points to an interesting direction where Jey wins, Roman goes away for a while, the New Hurt Business destroys the Usos and Lashley wins the belt, leading to Roman coming back as a babyface to save his family.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Pretty big rumor here so I’ll double tag it

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

KAIRI has re-signed apparently

Kind of baffling to me, but whatever I guess. Get that bag.

Spoiler

Makes sense if she wants to move her family to the US.  Kairi never really felt like she was really part of Stardom, just guest appearing.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Pretty big rumor here so I’ll double tag it

Hide contents
  Hide contents

KAIRI has re-signed apparently

Kind of baffling to me, but whatever I guess. Get that bag.

Spoiler

Probably bullshit. She and her husband own a business in Japan. She also didn't exactly love living in the US. I wouldn't be shocked if she appeared again in WWE, but I would be surprised if she ever returned full time.

On a similar note, I wonder if 

Spoiler

Kana is making an exit strategy. Her YouTube channel lately has been all about her starting some kind of arcade shop in Japan, including designing the building with architects.