DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I was thinking Naito might be Darby and Sting's third man??

I think you are probably right. They said something about it being someone Jericho had issues with in the past. He had that feud with Naito in NJPW a few years back. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Suzuki doing the Le Sex Gods pose with Jericho was the best. Fun trios match. Enjoyed the Cole/MJF segment and the set up for Battle Bowl! The Lethal Lottery.

LE SUZUKI GODS~!

• Like 6

Yuta has turned into an AWESOME stooging heel out of nowhere. He was tremendous bursting into flames for both AD's and Okada's finishers.

Dig the pop for Ishii as the mystery partner, but something tells me he gets incapacitated and sets the stage for Ibushi as the actual guy. We shall see what we shall see.

I lost my shit for Shibata/OC doing the baby kicks on Garcia. Was NOT expecting Shibata to eat that fall.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Between this and Forbidden Door and all the TV matches lately, it's clear Tony's decided to work him to death in a futile attempt to get the belt off of him before the Bidding War of 2024. Scumbag promotor stuff, really taking advantage of the generosity of the Salt of the Earth. 

I figured MJF realized that he hadn't hit his contractually mandated 6 matches in the first half of the year and is scrambling to catch up to keep a bonus.

It's going to be fun watching every week just to see how they shoot around the Elite and Punk not being able to be in the same building.  This week, we got a "backstage" segment and then the Bucks and Omega "left the building."  How long until they're hiring indy guys for Shemp work?

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

So fucking pissed I missed out on going to this Dynamite. Could have seen a stellar show and two of my all time favorites in Shibata and Okada.

LET’S GO RAINMAKER!

I even said to my wife "this crowd is getting to see so many huge Japanese stars wrestle before the PPV, they are so lucky."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's going to be fun watching every week just to see how they shoot around the Elite and Punk not being able to be in the same building.  This week, we got a "backstage" segment and then the Bucks and Omega "left the building."  How long until they're hiring indy guys for Shemp work?

I dig the smoke and mirrors. There's all sorts of tricks they can gin up to keep the facade going until they inevitably share a ring again... and they would be fools not to mine that vein of gold eventually.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Log said:

I think you are probably right. They said something about it being someone Jericho had issues with in the past. He had that feud with Naito in NJPW a few years back. 

Hoping it's Tetsuya Naito. One of the biggest absentees last year's show with Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega. Remember how Naito mockingly said Jericho san to Jericho.

• Like 1

I was watching on delay and lost 15 minutes starting in the PiP of the trios due to storms (which brought some sweet, if temporary relief for this heatwave). It came back with Adam Cole in the ring, and then MJF, so my FFWD button got a good workout although I did stop to watch the bits with Schiavone which was pretty funny, and I will give props to the continuity of Cole remembering all the shit Tony used to talk about him.

Opener was pretty rough, but it was good for The Gunns to go over at this point in time. Jeff is washed, Matt is a shell but at least capable in ring. The post-match was decent fun and the crowd was molten for FTR and Punk. Good job setting up a match for Collision and also establishing that it's not a true "brand split."

It's funny that both Gordlow and I started as vocal odd men out on Jarrett in AEW, then I actually warmed up to his booking and matches, but hated the last two weeks while Gord finally enjoyed him. That was some tepid, contrived shit that didn't really deserve the term "brawl" until the latter half when it was back in the ring. Satnam was awesome.

Like I said, I missed most of the trios but I did like Darius stooging for Suzuki's chops and I popped for MiSu hitting the pose with Jericho. I taped the west coast feed so I'll catch the rest tonight.

OC-Shibata vs. Garcia-ZSJ was easy match of the night, loved it and another fantastic chapter in the ongoing saga of our beloved, beleaguered slacker Orange Cassidy doing battle with all comers. Some great tandem work from OC and Shibata, and I popped hard for the OOOH kicks. The mat stuff involving ZSJ with both OC and Shibata was great. ZSJ has a little bit of Regal prickishness to him, and he should lean into that even more. Not crazy about the 4-way, but maybe it's a way to finally put a cap on this epic run. Maybe ZSJ gets the belt and Garcia-Shibata for the Pure title at the ROH PPV?

Stat and Taya started rough and then picked up after PiP. I just don't know about Taya, she is a perfectly good wrestler but I am getting a lot more enjoyment out of younger talent getting elevated. I do like that sliding rope german suplex, and I appreciate that she ate the clean pin and how impressive Stat looks hitting those power moves on a larger woman.

Hey, that was technically our main event! Only 5 matches!

I actually liked this closing segment, I wouldn't want something like this all the time (if I did I could watch that other show) but it was a fun, well-booked and mostly well-executed change of pace.

Considering that just the concept of Forbidden Door practically sold itself, and the two announced dream matches really don't need any promotion, they really sold Danielson-Okada and all the amazing undercard matches they've added.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Dig the pop for Ishii as the mystery partner, but something tells me he gets incapacitated and sets the stage for Ibushi as the actual guy. We shall see what we shall see.

Surely the move is Ibushi to even the odds against whatever security Callis has offered Ospreay? 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I dig the smoke and mirrors. There's all sorts of tricks they can gin up to keep the facade going until they inevitably share a ring again... and they would be fools not to mine that vein of gold eventually.

"Four on one? I like those odds. Four on four? It's your funeral." 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"Four on one? I like those odds. Four on four? It's your funeral." 

Punk acting like he is a legitimate badass outside of the ring is just as unbelievable as Adam Cole's offense in the ring when he's against someone bigger than him. (I think Cole is absolutely awesome overall though)

• Haha 1

Love the WrestlePurists shot. It's so different from the usual hardcam stare down where they look at each other then at the crowd. This shot is more organic, and makes the crowd more part of it, you can feel the excitement. (and the angle of the shot reminds me of almost Fire Pro Wrestling in a way.. it's Different then what WWE would do)

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 5

Can we PLEASE find some different synonyms for the word “coward”?  Holy shit, EIGHT times in a 2-hour show. It was bad when WWE started this trend a couple of years ago and it sucks that AEW has picked it up and not just ran with it but apparently are sprinting with it. 

Pretty sure the word stopped being offensive at the age of 10-12.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Peck said:

Can we PLEASE find some different synonyms for the word “coward”?  Holy shit, EIGHT times in a 2-hour show. It was bad when WWE started this trend a couple of years ago and it sucks that AEW has picked it up and not just ran with it but apparently are sprinting with it. 

Pretty sure the word stopped being offensive at the age of 10-12.

Well, the most common one I can think of wouldn't/shouldn't pass. In the words of Naughty by Nature: It's sort of like another way to call a cat a kitten, there's 5 little letters that are missin'

• Like 3
  • Haha 4