DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

While I agree I wonder how often they could run with out burning out the fans on the formula

Definitely a valid concern. It would be a tough thing to plan out (as opposed to having unfold organically) but maybe a little bit of 'style drift' could be in play - for example, by the last year of ECW, a lot of the undercard looked more like a proto-ROH than it did a deathmatch show. Maybe you hook the people initially with the Bloodsport stuff, and slowly introduce other elements over time...

...but at the same time, then you risk losing what makes it so unique to begin with (again, I'll use ECW as the example - it's hard not to say they lost a bit of their identity when the WWF starts doing 'Attitude' - if Bloodsport starts doing whatever ROH or NJPW is, it's the same risk in reverse). 

There's of course nothing to say you couldn't do an hour of, idk, lucha matches or something on the undercard, and then just air only the Bloodsport stuff - might go a long way in keeping the live crowd on their toes.

But for an episodic thing like LU, it's such a different animal... I think doing a four hour taping to air a weekly one hour show 4x a month isn't a super tall ask for a live audience. Is the TV audience going to go for that? That, I have no idea.

59 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Definitely a valid concern. It would be a tough thing to plan out (as opposed to having unfold organically) but maybe a little bit of 'style drift' could be in play - for example, by the last year of ECW, a lot of the undercard looked more like a proto-ROH than it did a deathmatch show. Maybe you hook the people initially with the Bloodsport stuff, and slowly introduce other elements over time...

...but at the same time, then you risk losing what makes it so unique to begin with (again, I'll use ECW as the example - it's hard not to say they lost a bit of their identity when the WWF starts doing 'Attitude' - if Bloodsport starts doing whatever ROH or NJPW is, it's the same risk in reverse). 

There's of course nothing to say you couldn't do an hour of, idk, lucha matches or something on the undercard, and then just air only the Bloodsport stuff - might go a long way in keeping the live crowd on their toes.

But for an episodic thing like LU, it's such a different animal... I think doing a four hour taping to air a weekly one hour show 4x a month isn't a super tall ask for a live audience. Is the TV audience going to go for that? That, I have no idea.

Paradigm Pro does a lot of shoot-style, UWFi, Bloodsport-type stuff. Sometimes its a full card of matches like that, and sometimes they're mixed with other stuff. When it's mixed, it's a little jarring to see a match end on a backdrop driver knockout in the UWF-style bout, but then a dude take way worse stuff and continue in a "regular" match.

When it's a full card of that style, I really dig it. But, it kind of needs to be its own self-contained world to really work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

now if you showed up at bloodsport in a full bodysuit and tried to get heat off of not bleeding

Imma need MMA Jeff Jarrett to accept a bloodsport match only to attempt nothing but Memphis tomfoolery and stalling

Ive like the bloodsport stuff I’ve seen (Kylie Rae and Mercedes did a non Bloodsport no ropes submission match) and it would be cool for them to do a monthly show maybe put it up on honor club but at the same time it could be like those three hell in a cell matches on one card or those all death match cards where it vares into hat on hat territory 

• Like 2