DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

as someone who didn't pay enough attention to names or dates, I thought Indi Hartwell was tweeting that picture in response to this Billie Starkz tweet:

apparently i'm the prime demographic for "we can't have multiple wrestlers with the same first name, pal" based off of my occasional tripups in regards to Zoey Stark and Billie Starkz.

• Like 5

A take I have been dying to discuss for years, as copy+pasted from Abraham Josephine Riesman, author of (the upcoming? available now?) Ringmaster: Vince McMahon and the Unmaking of America's Reddit AMA -

" Long story short: due to his totalitarian control over creative for decades, he has been the closest thing wrestling has had to an auteur. And if his canvas was the wrestling mat, his paint was his own psychosexual longings and revulsions. Hope you read the book!"

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A take I have been dying to discuss for years, as copy+pasted from Abraham Josephine Riesman, author of (the upcoming? available now?) Ringmaster: Vince McMahon and the Unmaking of America's Reddit AMA -

Vince McMahon is to WWE as Lorne Michaels is to SNL - sure you could continue either franchise without those man, but it wouldn't be authentic

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

So excited to read this. Still waiting for it to arrive at my local bookstore so I can pick up my order. None of that instant gratification with Amazon's one-click ordering for me, thank you!

A public service for everyone who plans on visiting Rob Black's restaurant in Rochester: DO NOT ORDER THE CLEVELAND STEAMER.

(Seriously, just trust me on this.)

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

FsbGyH_aMAAxBu_?format=jpg&name=small

Biggest shock ever in all my years watching wrestling, Brock Lesnar defeating The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXX but it's up there in my time viewing different sports as well. The Streak ending at WrestleMania XXX. 21-1. Daniel Bryan overcoming the Authority to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship defeating Randy Orton and Batista got the crowd back. I don't think anyone else would.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

A public service for everyone who plans on visiting Rob Black's restaurant in Rochester: DO NOT ORDER THE CLEVELAND STEAMER.

(Seriously, just trust me on this.)

Who the hell would visit Rob Black's restaurant? The thought of Rob Black owning a restaurant makes my skin crawl.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

On this day in 1998, Chris Jericho treated us to the 1,004 holds promo:

Jericho: "Thank you. Thank you very much. You know, since I took care of Mr. Jannetty so quickly, I came prepared. Malenko, you claim to be the man of a thousand holds. But I counted and you know about sixty. But I know 1004 and I wrote them all down, here we go:

Hold 1: Armdrag
Hold 2: Armbar
Hold 3: The Moss Covered Three Handled Family Gredunza
Number 4: Armbar
Number 5: The Saskatchewan Spinning Nerve Hold
Number 8: Armbar
Number 9: The Shooting Star Staple Superpress
Number 10: Right Handed...

**Commercial Break**

Hold Number 712: Armbar
Hold Number 713: The Hisridhdsih
Hold Number 714: The Canadian...
Hold Number 723... whoa, I'm starting to get blown up here… The Jericho Screwdriver!

**Prince Iaukea comes to the ring**

Hold Number 725: The Super Blizzard

**Iaukea chases Jericho out of the ring, who picks up his roll of paper and leaves**

While Jericho walks towards the entrance: I still got 200 more!"

Happy Anniversary to Jericho's 1004 holds promo. 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Can someone help me track down a match? It is a DVDVR favorite // Freebirds and Bad Street versus Dustin/Scott Armstrong/Tracy Somersault from WXW Worldwide 9/15/91. Any ideas? 

1. Are you a fed?

2. I'm not sure that match exists, but here's the 6/15 one. You don't mean the Bash match, do you? That's 7/14.

It's probably going to get taken down before long though.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

1. Are you a fed?

2. I'm not sure that match exists, but here's the 6/15 one. You don't mean the Bash match, do you? That's 7/14.

The one from Dustin of the Day.

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

1. Are you a fed?

“It’s not what you think! It’s not what you think!”

2 hours ago, Ace said:

To the surprise of nobody, Mox found a way to bleed at Bloodsport tonight.

I feel like everybody who doesn't find a way to bleed at a show called Bloodsport should be invited to the front of the building to read the marquee.  This isn't a Mox thing,  it's an everybody who didn't bleed thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2