DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ram has gotta be in her mid 20s by now you gotta figure. How is she still virtually the same size she was several years ago?

Some Japanese women are just small. I have family in Okinawa and my cousin is 4'8". The family is very tickled when we stand next to each other (I'm six feet tall).

• Like 2

Ice Ribbon's ranks are being bolstered, as Arisa Shinose is looking like she'll be back soon from the collarbone injury she suffered in her debut. She had an exhibition today against Mio Shirai and looked like she was back on form. Also, a surprise announcement at the dojo show today...

Former two-time Infinity champion Hikari Minami, along with Hinata, are coming back on July 17 at Yokohama Radiant Hall! Hinata actually dates back to Emi Sakura's Gatokunyan project and was one of the kids who debuted along with Riho. She retired in 2007 at the age of 13. (Emi had a weird thing going on for a while.) Hikari originally left Ice Ribbon in 2012 and had some random freelance appearances in 2015 and 2016, mostly with Apple Star. They've both been training at the dojo for close to a year now, and there's been some question about if they were doing it for fun or would eventually come back, and that's been answered now.

Dang today was busy. Banny Oikawa is coming back too! She made an appearance at Ganbare's show and announced she'll be starting with them on July 16. She mentioned being both a wrestler and a referee, like she was in Ice Ribbon. I hope for her sake she isn't pressed into referee duty too frequently, since she was really starting to get it together as a wrestler prior to her departure.

Ganbare's schedule fits Banny more as well since she has a full-time job outside of wrestling, so I think this will work out well for her!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ram has gotta be in her mid 20s by now you gotta figure. How is she still virtually the same size she was several years ago?

Tsukushi barely grew, but Kurumi sure did.

Just now, nofuture said:

It must be Punish Poi month because even if she can survive the strap match, Big Hash might German her out of the ring.

The ring? Korakuen Hall more like it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Noah Mark said:

Does anybody here know how I would sign up for the member's only Club Ice Ribbon and Pure J's youtube channel to receive all of the member only videos.

They're super easy! Go to their YouTube channel (I believe you need to do it in browser, the app might not let you do this... I remember there being some issues with the iOS app not allowing people to join channel memberships at one point), and there should be an option for "join". From there, you enter your financial info if you don't already have it into YouTube, et viola, you're good to go.

The good thing about YouTube memberships is that they don't charge on the first of the month like a Japanese subscription service (Wrestle Universe, NJPW World, Stardom World, et cetera), but on the day you sign up. Since I signed up for Club Ice Ribbon on the 16th of the month, I get billed on the 16th of each month.

EDIT: Just checked, and yup, you can't join from the app. You also can't join from the mobile site, so you'd need to either request the desktop site if you're doing so from your phone or do so from a computer. You'd think YouTube would work that out.

Edited by Sparkleface

The 7/17 Yokohoma Ribbon show for Ice Ribbon is starting to fill out, with YuuRI issuing a challenge for Totoro Satsuki's Infinity title today. That match joins Hikari Minami and Hinata's return match being for Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto's International Ribbon Tag Titles, and Arisa Shinose's return match. Still waiting to see how the rest of the card fills out but with those two title matches we're shaping up pretty well.

Also Ice Ribbon posted the SKIP City show from 6/18 on their YouTube subscription service and Ibuki Hoshi against Kaho Matsushita was great. Perfect example of elevating someone in defeat because Kaho was able to survive a bunch of moves that previously put her down for falls.

Quick Stardom Sunshine spoilers:

Spoiler

Mina & Mariah are new tag champs.

QQ won the cage match. Saki Kashima is out of Oedo Tai. AphroditE are back together after Momo gave Saya her bat to hit Utami with.Instead. Saya hit Momo.

Giulia challenged Willow Nightengale for the NJ Strong Joshi belt.

Edited by Ace

20 hours ago, matwarz said:

I randomly watched Mei Suruga vs. Miyu Amasaki from 5.29. Note to self, watch more random matches; this was so much pro-wrestling fun with cuteness, silliness and lotsa nifty pin attempts

Was that the 5th anni match? If so think that was Momo Hanazono, Miyu had to pull out

Stardom Sunshine spoilers

Spoiler

Solid show. Even the undercard - Syuri & Xena beat the tar out of each other. Mei Seira is rapid and that unit with Suzu and Maika is coming together nicely. 

Teased a bit of dissension with Tam & Poi - might Kairi challenge for the red belt?

They needed to do something with the tag belts as the New Era reign was just doomed from the moment they won via countout so its a decent switch. Feels like a reward for Mariah's work as much as anything.

Mayu having to literally be dragged into the cage was totally apropos. Hazuki is fucking nuts doing a senton off the cage then just bouncing immediately out like its nothing. WTH girl. Giulia and Mayu with some quality stuff as you'd expect.

Challenging Willow is...interesting. Think it'll be on the 4/5 July shows at Korakuen. Chances of Giulia appearances in America just drastic went up.

Saki being the one to be kicked out is ehhh - I know she's gotten super popular but I think its mainly because she's a great stooge. Can she still do that outside of OT? All the build for QQ potentially splitting or reshuffling being for nothing feels a little flat IMHO. But I guess this is the Utami redemption arc which does feel a little overdue.

5 star blocks were also announced

Red

Ami Sourei

Natsuko Tora

Hazuki

Natsupoi

Starlight Kid

Suzu Suzuki

Syuri

Saya Kamitani

Mayu Iwatani

Tam Nakano

Blue

Utami Hayashishita

Hanan

Mariah May

Mina Shirakawa

AZM

Mirai

Momo Watanabe

Saori Anou

Maika

Giulia

Edited by Mr. Monday Morning

37 minutes ago, Mr. Monday Morning said:

Was that the 5th anni match? If so think that was Momo Hanazono, Miyu had to pull out

Stardom Sunshine spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Solid show. Even the undercard - Syuri & Xena beat the tar out of each other. Mei Seira is rapid and that unit with Suzu and Maika is coming together nicely. 

Teased a bit of dissension with Tam & Poi - might Kairi challenge for the red belt?

They needed to do something with the tag belts as the New Era reign was just doomed from the moment they won via countout so its a decent switch. Feels like a reward for Mariah's work as much as anything.

Mayu having to literally be dragged into the cage was totally apropos. Hazuki is fucking nuts doing a senton off the cage then just bouncing immediately out like its nothing. WTH girl. Giulia and Mayu with some quality stuff as you'd expect.

Challenging Willow is...interesting. Think it'll be on the 4/5 July shows at Korakuen. Chances of Giulia appearances in America just drastic went up.

Saki being the one to be kicked out is ehhh - I know she's gotten super popular but I think its mainly because she's a great stooge. Can she still do that outside of OT? All the build for QQ potentially splitting or reshuffling being for nothing feels a little flat IMHO. But I guess this is the Utami redemption arc which does feel a little overdue.

5 star blocks were also announced

Red

Ami Sourei

Natsuko Tora

Hazuki

Natsupoi

Starlight Kid

Suzu Suzuki

Syuri

Saya Kamitani

Mayu Iwatani

Tam Nakano

Blue

Utami Hayashishita

Hanan

Mariah May

Mina Shirakawa

AZM

Mirai

Momo Watanabe

Saori Anou

Maika

Giulia

Can’t blame that on anything other than not being up on every Indy Joshi worker. Thanks for that, both girls were terrific in that match, they deserve to be correctly identified!

45 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Can’t blame that on anything other than not being up on every Indy Joshi worker. Thanks for that, both girls were terrific in that match, they deserve to be correctly identified!

Ah its no big. I only remember as I was looking forward to seeing Miyu in that environment, be interested to see how she did (or does, if it comes around again)