DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NCAA BASKETBALL

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Colgate and Montana State win their conference tourneys. The next autobids come on Saturday when 13 conference tournament finals are played

Gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed Lafayette didn't win and get in at 12-22.

LIES!!!!

…. Is what I have to say because my brother, wife, and dad are alums.

The preseason no. 1 has never not made the Big Dance, but UNC deserves to be the first.  Underachieved all season and a terrible record against quad 1 teams.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 3/9/2023 at 4:19 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed Lafayette didn't win and get in at 12-22.

All the talk about them or NAU being the worst teams ever to make the tournament cracks me up when you read into Bradley's 1955 squad. They finished 7-19, but got an at-large bid to the tournament because they had the best record of the independent schools in their region (this was when they'd left the Valley in solidarity with Drake over the horrid Johnny Bright incident). Even better, they won TWO tournament games and made the Elite Eight before losing to Colorado. Still cracks me up.

Championship Saturday lineup:

• UMass Lowell at Vermont - American East (Burlington, VT) - 10am Central, ESPN2
  • Howard vs Norfolk State - MEAC (Norfolk, VA) - Noon CDT, ESPN2
  • Texas Southern vs Grambling State - SWAC (Birmingham, AL) - 4:30 CDT, ESPNU
  • San Diego State vs Utah State - Mountain West (Las Vegas, NV) - 5pm CDT, CBS
  • Kansas vs Texas - Big 12 (Kansas City, MO) - 5pm CDT, ESPN
  • Marquette vs Xavier - Big East (MSG) - 5:30 CDT, FOX
  • Toledo vs Kent State - MAC (Cleveland, OH) - 6:30 CDT, ESPN2
  • Iona vs Marist - MAAC (Atlantic City, NJ) - 6:30 CDT, ESPNU
  • Duke vs Virginia - ACC (Greensboro, NC) - 7:30 CDT, ESPN
  • Florida Atlantic vs UAB - C-USA (Frisco, TX) - 7:30 CDT, CBS Sports Network
  • Cal State Fullerton vs UC Santa Barbara - Big West (Henderson, NV) - 8:30 CDT, ESPN2
  • UCLA vs Arizona - Pac-12 (Las Vegas, NV) - 9:30 CDT, ESPN
  • Grand Canyon vs Southern Utah - WAC (Las Vegas, NV) - 10:30 CDT, ESPN2

UMass Lowell and Grambling State are playing for their first tourney bids ever.

Howard is playing for their first tourney bid since 1992. Marist is playing for their first bid since 1987. Toledo is playing for their first bid since 1980.

On one hand, Norfolk State is playing for the autobid in Norfolk. On the other hand, 1pm Saturday local tip after playing on a Friday Night.

The Sunday title games are Ivy League, SEC, A10, AAC, and Big Ten.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Vermont and Howard are in.

The Ivy League Conference title game is Yale vs Princeton at Princeton's gym so prepare to pick Princeton to beat some 5/6 seed in the tournament.

Two bits of drama in the semifinal games being played today: Fordham angling for their first bid in 30+ years, facing Dayton right now and if they win, they play VCU tomorrow. Also Vandy probably has to win their tourney to make it unless you think a 20-14 or 21-14 SEC team is being picked as an at-large. Vandy just has to beat A&M and Alabama on back to back days.

Sunday conference title games shaping up right now..

Penn State vs Purdue in a chaotic Big 10 tournament

Alabama vs Texas A&M in the SEC

VCU vs Dayton in the A10

and Houston plays the winner of Tulane/Memphis

So it's time to decide 11 autobids in the next 8 hours or so.

I saw a Howard home game a few weeks ago and I liked how the place looked, mostly for how it had a distinctive look for a D1 arena, although i'm sure no shortage of smaller colleges have similar setups for their arenas (for example, Rockhurst University in KCMO has a similar layout). I don't know if they could fit a Hockey Rink into Howard's gym but the seating would make it easier to pull off.

1024px-BurrGymnasium2.jpg

• Like 2

other teams getting autobids today: SDSU, Texas, Marquette, Kent State, Iona, Duke, Florida Atlantic, UC Santa Barbara, and Arizona.

Grand Canyon leads Southern Utah by 16 with 4 minutes left.

Surprisingly, Southern Utah has made the Tournament in the past (they won the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament in 2001, beating Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, and Valpo in a tournament held in Fort Wayne, before losing to Boston College in the tourney). Yes, Southern Utah was in a midwestern-centric conference for 15 years, and then they spent 10 years in the Big Sky Conference before joining the WAC last year.

After seeing all the entitled Badger fans bitching about how embarrassing it is to be in the NIT, I really hope we wipe them out tomorrow night. That should've been our home game to begin with... disinterested school playing an "inferior opponent" vs motivated school shooting for a P5 scalp on their home court shouldn't be that hard a decision to make.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 5:46 PM, Pete said:

Congratulations @Marcel! Plus any other Bison on the board. 😁

Thanks, Pete!  Our game against Kansas can only have one result, but I'm thrilled that we've made it this far.

• Like 1

This is the first time I paid attention to stats and odd/records when doing my bracket.  It feels like the picks are too safe but I got Bama taking it over Houston.

Now I also know nothing about college hoops so I have a feeling my bracket would be mocked and busted immediately.  But for a thing at work why the hell not.

EDIT:  I hope most Bama fans know better than to wear the shirts posted above.  Otherwise even if my pick wins I won't feel good about it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore