DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NCAA BASKETBALL

Dolfan in NYC

Drake Bulldogs (24-6, T-1 15-4 MVC). YOOOUUUURRRR BRADLEY BRAVES (22-8, T-1 15-4 MVC). It's Missouri Valley Kumite this Sunday in Peoria on ESPN2 for all the conference marbles.

I may have peed a little when I saw these. 😍

• Like 3

13 hours ago, EVA said:

I certainly understand that you can read a lot into certain details of this situation, but Tuscaloosa PD has investigated the hell out of this case, and they have (among other things) Miller’s phone records and multiple videos of the shooting, including footage from Miller’s dash cam. If there was anything suggesting Miller was more than a witness to this event, his ass would be up on charges. This is not drug possession or disorderly conduct or any other kind of penny-ante charge that regularly gets swept up for college athletes. It’s not even an assault or a DUI. We’re talking about a capital murder jacket here. No police is turning a blind eye to that so a dude can play basketball. (Alabama doesn’t even care that much about basketball!)

If he hasn’t been charged at this point, it’s because his story has checked out and there’s nothing to charge him with.

BTW, Miller’s side of the story came out this afternoon via his lawyer, and he claims that his car was parked first, was not blocking the road, and the victims’ Jeep actually pulled up behind his vehicle. Again, the police have multiple videos of this, so it would seemingly be pretty easy to disprove that if it wasn’t true!

That explanation, if accurate, certainly puts an entirely new light on things regarding the parking. 

That is just the first two tweets of a longer thread. It should be noted later on the NCAA says this ruling shouldn't be taken as precedent which is always entertaining and very on-brand for the NCAA

On 2/24/2023 at 9:44 AM, RIPPA said:

That is just the first two tweets of a longer thread. It should be noted later on the NCAA says this ruling shouldn't be taken as precedent which is always entertaining and very on-brand for the NCAA

Ruiz was asked about the violations and basically said he didn't care and he can sign whoever he wants - the NCAA can pound sand.  And promised to sue them if they tried to sanction him in any way.

So, putting aside whether or not Brandon Miller should be playing, I think we can all agree him having a teammate pat him down like he's looking for a gun during the player introductions is a bad look.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, putting aside whether or not Brandon Miller should be playing, I think we can all agree him having a teammate pat him down like he's looking for a gun during the player introductions is a bad look.

Now I will say that, apparently, they have been doing that all season but... yeah....

I also enjoy that of course the Bama SID keeps telling the media to only ask questions about the game

That goes about as well as you expect

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Now I will say that, apparently, they have been doing that all season but... yeah....

Which just goes back to the Alabama staff being a bunch of clueless yutzes.  Probably shouldn't have been doing it all year but definitely should have had a staff member tell him to knock it off before this game.  Not a good look at all.

• Like 1

With their tough win over St. Mary's last night, Gonzaga clinched a share of the WCC league championship for the 11th straight year.  This is also their 16th consecutive season with 25 or more wins.  That's pretty freaking amazing.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - I love St. Mary's.  Randy Bennett gets more out of his players than anybody.  He's averaged over 26 wins a year the last 16 seasons, playing in a league with Gonzaga.  That's incredible.  

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am a little confused but I saw something this afternoon that for some reason St Mary's will be the #1 seed and not Gonzaga in the conference tournament

Since they both finished 14-2 in the conference, it boils down to tiebreakers:

1) Head-to-head.  Gonzaga and St. Mary's split, so on to #2.

2) Who did you lose to?  Gonzaga and St. Mary's have the exact same losses - each other and then Loyola Marymount.

3) Who is higher in the NCAA NET rankings?  St. Mary's is ranked higher, so they get the higher WCC seed.

I'm not quite sure how St. Mary's ended up higher in the NET rankings.  They were almost tied going into last night's game, which Gonzaga won.

In the article posted by the WCC announcing the seedings, they listed the conference standings - and put Gonzaga at #1.

Edited by Tabe

I should note, that the ladies at Columbia have been more than pulling their weight this season.  If they win on Saturday, they will clinch Columbia women's first Ivy League regular season championship ever.   

Also, at 22-4, they've won 10 more games than all 4 years I went to school there.  

Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis missed a buzzer beating three that would've tied Pete Maravich's NCAA all-time scoring record. They lost by five and their season is over, so that was his last chance at it.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis missed a buzzer beating three that would've tied Pete Maravich's NCAA all-time scoring record. They lost by five and their season is over, so that was his last chance at it.

Except apparently if they accept an invite into the CBI (if given one) since points in any tournament counts. 

31 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Except apparently if they accept an invite into the CBI (if given one) since points in any tournament counts. 

Is the CBI hard enough up for teams to invite a 14-19 squad?

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is the CBI hard enough up for teams to invite a 14-19 squad?

Probably, as teams have to pay to get in and it will give the tournament some eyeballs to watch him break the record. Although to be honest I don't know their criteria or how they select schools, I just read it was a possibility they could play in it.

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Probably, as teams have to pay to get in and it will give the tournament some eyeballs to watch him break the record. Although to be honest I don't know their criteria or how they select schools, I just read it was a possibility they could play in it.

Seems really cynical for the school to pay $50,000 just to the coach's son can set a scoring record. And don't forget, Davis is on his fifth season... Maravich did it in three seasons WITHOUT a three-point line. But whatever... not my money.

Also, this.

• Haha 4

On 3/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, Pete said:

Seems really cynical for the school to pay $50,000 just to the coach's son can set a scoring record. And don't forget, Davis is on his fifth season... Maravich did it in three seasons WITHOUT a three-point line. But whatever... not my money.

Also, this.

Oh there's no question this isn't the same thing as what Pistol Pete did. He averaged 44 points a game, Davis around 25.

Kinda like when Melvin Gordon almost got to Barry's single season rushing yards record awhile back. He got within 41 yards. But Barry did his when you only played 11 games and bowls didn't get count in statistics, while Gordon had 12 regular season games, the B1G title game, and a bowl game.