DVDVR Message Board

Rampage and Battle of the Belts IV - 10/7/2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Blond(e)s got straight squashed. Does Tony Khan have a brother or sister? Does that sibling have a daughter? Cuz they should bring in Tony's Niece.

OH GOD DAMMIT!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was still into it at the end of a four-hour session. I wouldn't say that Gates of Agony are made as stars now, but I feel like they hsve definitely been established at a kind of Faces of Fear level as a big-man team that's a credible threat. I came into the match already a fan, though. Interested to see how others feel.

My DVR actually recorded this and Gates of Agony are fucking GREAT.  Toa Liona is a cross between Stan Hansen and Ahmed Johnson.  It has to completely suck to wrestle him.  I can imagine FTR going to themselves before this match, "How would we wrestle the 1985 Road Warriors?"  Liona has to wrestle Wardlow and Joe in singles matches after the tag team match.  Kaun is your Booker T of the tagteam.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This was the fourth and final Battle of the Belts of the year.

Did any of these feel actually special and like major events?

This was the only live edition as well. 

Did you watch Pac versus Trent?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Konosuke Takeshita was a MOTYC and one of the best matches in AEW history.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Overall thoughts: Watching this morning I got pretty burnt out by the PAC/TRENT? match actually. Did recover. Overall, I'd say maybe not head back to DC for a bit. Jericho had his best night ever on commentary, and not just bringing up Liger and calling out JR for the "pronoun boy" stuff, which now makes sense finally. He was just very much into everything and he's got a good memory for the product (and not just matches he was directly in). I think I would have put one more big babyface win on the show somewhere. Maybe an underdog upset on Rampage or something. In a perfect world, the two hours could have ended with the BCC win but that didn't fit the theme. Wardlow/Joe/FTR standing tall kind of worked instead but not quite the same.

• BCC vs LFI was a lot of fun. I wanted to see RUSH interact with people other than Mox and that didn't really happen but it was nice to see Claudio's strength stuff against Private Party. RUSH is the sort of guy who will interact and interface with what his partners are doing, so that was all good until the dissension hit. It's a shame we're not getting a RUSH/Andrade vs Private Party match. One of many shames. This was a good way to start to get a new finisher over for Yuta too.
  • I hope we don't get Coach Arn with babyface blonds. Pillman, if he gets a last chance, has to be a heel. Any idea when Lee Johnson is coming back? Varsity Athletes is bad. They should have gone with Varsity Beasts?
  • TayJay were very much on throughout the match, from teasing the heart in the opening, which is really something that always seemed to mean more to them than the fans all the way through with the quick kisses and tandem moves and controlling the ring and everything else. Full on sports entertainer mode, except for Tay hits like a truck. Skye ALSO hits like a small car and takes it just as well. Jay is almost in so-bad-its-good territory with her mannerisms but it fits the character so it works. Madison was just there but she more or less kept up. I don't think they timed all of the hope spots and cutoffs well (I feel like Willow did that later in the night) and there really should have been one of those just absolutely outright slugffest moments where Tay and Skye really went at it to get the crowd into things, as that's usually what it takes.
  • I was absolutely thrown by the layout of the trios match. It was face vs face and they went with heat on PAC and Fenix and then on Reynolds and it never totally broke down until the end, which, if you're going to have one match actually break down early, it's this one! It was pretty obvious that they held off on that to protect PAC. Dark Order shouldn't have lost. I do think on some level, 10 is probably just really glad to be in a program, and he'll probably be glad to lose the mask as well, but it's such a tightrope to walk. I get that there's a contingent of AEW fans who are really into the Elite and the Lucha Bros, that sort of look at them as very similar in that first initial wave that drew them to the company, and maybe I underestimate how conflated they all are, but it's just crazy to me not to "make good" after All Out by putting over the feel good Best Friends and then not "make good" here after Andrade couldn't make it by putting over the Dark Order. We know the payoff here isn't going to be Andrade's career or RUSH's insanely valuable hair. It's going to be 10's mask. So..... it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, right? 10 does seem over at times though. I think people deny that.

BOTB:

• PAC vs TRENT? looked good, but I was kind of half paying attention. Little bit weird booking. Why would they have the matches back to back if you're a fair promoter. You're already making the guy wrestle twice. It felt like the match that the crowd needed and they got into it between the fight forever chants and aew chants and being hot for the finishing stretch. I really liked the Strong Zero countered into the Brutalizer. That was clever stuff. Finish coming two matches in a row means that Cassidy REALLY needs to go over next week. I would have liked to see Cassidy somehow make his own twist to the idea of being a fiery and angry run in but I don't know what that would look like.
  • Willow vs Jade had a couple of rough moments, but was still good. Chinlock heavy but the crowd's into Willow so they got into the comeback attempts and it worked. Jade's strength spots were maybe not controlled enough which defeats the purpose a little bit? Willow, while enthusiastic and driven to get the title, needed to let her comebacks and big spots breathe just a little more because the fans desperately want to get into them. The Cazadora attempt leading to the stairs crunch on the outside was an impressive spot but what the hell was Willow going to do with it? An arm drag on the outside? A roll up? That just made absolutely no sense.
  • FTR vs Gates had a super layout, really made Kaun and Toa look good while FTR managed to overcome them. Toa's good at recoiling at shots but he maybe did it a little too early in the match all things considered. I loved the finish where they really had to work for the big rig. Honestly, biggest problem with this match is that they worked the Six Man Title match the way that they did. If that had been more of an outright spotfest, it would have made the heat here resonate and matter a bit more. On the post-match, I really think the Embassy needs one more guy. When it ends up 4 on 3+Nana, even if the 3 guys are big, it just seems a bit off.

Wrestling was good but some booking/layout/organizational things I didn't love, and I think they needed just a bit more happiness all around. It should be noted that the Dark taping DID have Emi vs Storm, so that was a big win for a babyface champ, I'm sure.

Jericho's big announcement for Danielson being that he's going to be Lionheart is such a whiff. Didn't he come into the PPV like that? Him doing Painmaker and going as far away from the code of honor as possible would have been more interesting. It was good to hear from Claudio here but i don't think Danielson's said a word about the ROH title on screen, which feels very weird coming into this. Storm/Shida vs Britt/Hayter feels more exciting now than the first time they tried to run it. They also didn't announce a lot for the Thursday Rampage, right? Which is lower on sales and on a weird night. I assume we get Matt vs Ethan Page in Canada, but I really liked him taking the All Atlantic Title from PAC at that show. Ah well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This one and the last one were better than 1 + 2.

• Like 1

Trent is so awesome. Really the sleeper glue guy of AEW for years now.

On the flip side, and I hate to pile on the guy, but Pillman, woof. He’s the least talented guy on this roster, right? Maybe besides Brock Anderson. He’s been through hell and seems like a great guy, but he just doesn’t have it. Not yet anyway.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, porksweats said:

This one and the last one were better than 1 + 2.

The first one (right?) had the awesome Britt/Riho match, which I contend is Britt's best straight up wrestling match to date by quite some bit and only behind the lights out match overall. The rest of that one wasn't very intriguing though. 

• Like 1

Blackpool Combat Club of course are going to have a fun opener. The Privates looked as good as ever here - too bad their great flurry was during the PiP. Incredible 450 from Quen to the ramp. Please get these guys on a Japanese tour already. Rush continues to heat up his act regardless of losses. Woods and Nese continue to impress. Nice short work of the Blonds and just when they couldn’t be buried anymore Sterling’s genius strips them of their name. Great to see Arn looking on. Let’s get the sons of the Horsemen going already. And not forget about the potential of an upstart team featuring Griff and Lee Johnson. I like that when the Acclaimed make an appearance Max is ready to rap. So great to see a young team get so hot! On the cold side, Madison Rayne seems to find ways to embarrass the company worse than a ‘WWE reject’ with a slap/kick miss ready to highlight the next Botchamania. I like to believe she’s doing a great job backstage, on camera has clearly been a different story. Tho, no reason to dwell in the shit with stars as bright as Tay Jay! Those ladies are the true SUPER STARS! Death Triangle v Dark Order met my Dark Main Event expectations and then some. I wish they’d had Pac grab a mic and tell Barretta he’s ready for his next match. They failed to really capitalize on how special it was to have Pac wrestle and win two matches in a row. I especially needed a salty live promo after that Barretta win. Goddamn Trent Barretta always delivers. Fun stuff. Pac and OC isn’t necessarily a rematch I need on TV, but I’m ticked to take it in live. Also, great to see Willow and Jade step up and have a heckuva little bout there. Willow’s the real deal, and Jade is clearly getting better and better. Odd little Ethan Page-Heavy Foot Hardy contract tampering promo. Hoping this leads to a big homecoming win for Page here in Toronto. Yeah, he's from Hamilton, but half of Hamilton is now property buying ex-Torontonians. That said, Page may wanna double down on the differences between our neighbouring cities and continue to relish the heel heat - I'm a big fan, I'll applaud him how he likes. @Gordlow style meaty main event provided the goods. I’m not as sure as Gordie on Toa Liona, but we’ll just have to celebrate our differences along with the big guy’s birthday! Wish I were in Japan, tho stoked to be in Toronto for AEW next week. I love great FTR bouts with great teams like the Briscoes, but I also love FTR bouts with guys whom they make look like great teams. It reminds me how much I miss seeing them on Dark. Their enhancement bouts during that low period were fantastic. Predictable run ins at the end, but I’m game for all the potential bouts. I really like this Wardlow-FTR friendship. I would’ve liked to see a bit more chicanery from the wonderfully attired Asses, but I guess it’s good strategy to ‘leave them wanting more’. AEFackinW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Probably gonna be a low voter on this one; my favorite match was the first one. The Bicep Slicer is an interesting new submission for Yuta. I dig his music a lot with the sword sound as his own "breaking glass". Speaking of music I LOVED Willow's, it was straight out of an '80s/'90s late-nite talk show, I expected them to pan to Paul Shaffer playing keyboards or Arsenio to walk out. This was a very "angle advancement" show and heels dominated everything for the most part. Meh. I wanted DO to get a gold watch at least. Can't say PAC/Trent or the main weren't hard hitting though. Keep the belt, Nyla! 

Rampage kinda sucked eggs due to bad booking and some sloppy matches outside of the BCC opener. Battle of the Belts tried, but we didn't really need 50 minutes of Pac and Jade getting a clean win.

Edited by JLowe

I'm pretty much with @Matt D, they really needed to give us some kind of babyface wins here.

Lucha Brothers don't need belts at this point, and the Dark Order needs one big moment before you break them up for good, and THIS was that one big moment and they fucked it up. Have Pac go for the hammer, someone stop him, and he eats a pin, new champs and the crowd loses it. Then, in the AA-title, he gets the hammer with no one stop him and wins by Systematic Cheating Sports Entertainment.

Likewise, Willow-Jade. You're telling a story that Willow has improved tremendously while Jade is taking her for granted. And yet The Baddies only get involved to be a base for Willow's tope. The story here should be Jade being pushed to the limit because of her arrogance and having to rely on Systematic Cheating Sports Entertainment.

At least FTR-Gates of Agony had a good story and finish and built GoA as a monster threat.

They advertised an Austin show in December, and last night didn't sell me on the $150 in tickets, parking, and merch/food/beer expenses.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I'm pretty much with @Matt D, they really needed to give us some kind of babyface wins here.

Lucha Brothers don't need belts at this point, and the Dark Order needs one big moment before you break them up for good, and THIS was that one big moment and they fucked it up. Have Pac go for the hammer, someone stop him, and he eats a pin, new champs and the crowd loses it. Then, in the AA-title, he gets the hammer with no one stop him and wins by Systematic Cheating Sports Entertainment.

Likewise, Willow-Jade. You're telling a story that Willow has improved tremendously while Jade is taking her for granted. And yet The Baddies only get involved to be a base for Willow's tope. The story here should be Jade being pushed to the limit because of her arrogance and having to rely on Systematic Cheating Sports Entertainment.

At least FTR-Gates of Agony had a good story and finish and built GoA as a monster threat.

They advertised an Austin show in December, and last night didn't sell me on the $150 in tickets, parking, and merch/food/beer expenses.

Babyfaces went over in the first bout and the main event. I don't see the problem. I'm with the booking as is and Dark Order getting nothing more than the participation ribbon. I like them, but I don't see any of the three positioned as champions right now. I want those trios titles hot for some players with upward mobility especially if they're named Kenny, Matt and Nick. I like your idea for the Jade bout, but you've got two inexperienced ladies in there. They almost lost control as was. It's best to keep the plan as simple as possible - which is what I think they did. Willow's doing just fine skipping along her 'getting experience in losing' run. I'm of the belief that the wins and titles will surely come when the time is right. Keeping Jade mostly unstoppable seems like a plan that's working well enough. Let them sell you on that show closer to the date - your wallet will thank you! I waited on the Rampage here in Toronto, and tickets were as low as $8 yesterday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No, not really. They all may have had some great matches, but great matches are not a substitute for good booking in my opinion. Riho vs Britt on the first one had a decent build, but the rest have pretty much just felt like thrown-together matches.

I've praised AEW before for managing to make Dynamite feel important while making the PPVs feel more important, and I think that's still true in 2022, even if their booking overall hasn't been as good as the last two years. So it's baffling that they've whiffed so badly on making the Battles of the Belts feel special.

• Like 3

If they have one hour specials, they should find some other gimmick for them. I'm not sure what you can really do in one hour. 8 person Lethal Lottery. two tag matches, a 4 way to finish for a Cup or a title shot later?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

If they have one hour specials, they should find some other gimmick for them. I'm not sure what you can really do in one hour. 8 person Lethal Lottery. two tag matches, a 4 way to finish for a Cup or a title shot later?

TORNEO CIBERNETICO

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

The first one (right?) had the awesome Britt/Riho match, which I contend is Britt's best straight up wrestling match to date by quite some bit and only behind the lights out match overall. The rest of that one wasn't very intriguing though. 

Oh Britt/Riho rocked, I was addressing on a whole card basis though. But Britt/Riho might've been the best non Claudio/Takeshita BOTB match.

• Like 1