DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/31/2022

The Natural

5 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

JR giving away the ending of the main.....yeesh.

I didn't catch that, but during the PiP, Jim shared a great line about Shida being Americanized - 'And I mean that as a compliment'. I hope somebody out there is collecting all these great JR soundbites.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Haha 1

Mox’s opening promo was one of the best of all-time, IMO he deserves to retain, he’s earned it this year. Punk’s promo was (and I hate using clinical terms that I’m likely using inaccurately) schizophrenic.

Hager is interesting as a wrestler being so tall and gangly but also he kind of sucks.

I was stoked on the Wingmen but what a letdown of a follow up. Why not let them be the jobbers for FTWardlow and give that more time. I haven’t been one to complain about all the new people but (re)debuting W Morrissey on the go-home show before a PPV?

Intrigued by the idea of Andrade paying PresTen Vance to unmask and be part of his group. And I think alMost every single one of us called Page ending up with the Dark Order trio. Alex Reynolds is looking like Martin Starr in Knocked Up when he takes the bet to not shave or cut his hair.

Ok, out with the bad, in with the good.

Women’s tag was great! If we go by the old wrestling saw of the match before the PPV, then it better be Hayter who wins.

Four-way was fun and featured a lot of Dante. I’d like to see a 10-15 minute Dante-Rey Fenix spot fest and a couple of 10-15 minute Dante-Rush matches, one more high flying and one more ground and stiff the shit out of each other.

Main was exactly what we thought it was going to be. I have some quibbles about kicking out of some of those moves (the 450 spike pile driver in particular although it was also slightly botched) but it was action overload and then some. Intrigued by the Omega-Ospreay feud. I get why some people hate Ospreay but I’m just so impressed by what he can do. Aussie Open has moments of greatness and moments of awfulness. We’re going to end up where we always knew it would, Elite vs. Undisputed with Hangman hanging around the edges.

• Like 10

And y'know if the name of the game is anti-wedge, low ground clearance, then you need to have a Battlebox floor that isn't so scuffed-up that every robot is getting hung up on it. I know these are essentially "bonus episodes" that were taped after the main tournament but everybody's been scootin around like fools. WAIT. What are we talking about? AEW? Ok then...

So like Danielson vs. Hager was really really good and I hope it doesn't get overlooked in Great Dynamite Matches discussion cause this was realistic big/little physical shit on a very high level. Hager has, and continues to, possess way more physically charisma than he's been given credit for and I continue to enjoy his role as a special attraction in AEW. There was this moment where I though "wait, Jake is a more-or-less legit MMA man! He knows how to get out of Danielson's subs!" and then he did, and then I realized Danielson had to win with the knee and so he did. I guess it killed the drama for me when it all clicked, but if anything else had happened I prolly woulda derided it for not being logical. Ah. The Smark's Dilemma. If the thing we thought was gonna happen actually happens, it's predictable. If something else happens we are personally offended that we didn't get to feel smart about guessing right.

Other people will talk about the other parts of this show so you can have at it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I didn't catch that, but during the PiP, Jim shared a great line about Shida being Americanized - 'And I mean that as a compliment'. I hope somebody out there is collecting all these great JR soundbites.

I'm hoping for a supercut of Regal being horny for Excalibur.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That Ace promo was tremendous but I really think the way they got to Mox and Punk was convoluted. 

Tony needs to just go ahead and do Ospreay vs. Omega I saw enough tonight that tells me they could have a $ feud.. 

I could legit be tempted to travel for that main event at a PPV.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And y'know if the name of the game is anti-wedge, low ground clearance, then you need to have a Battlebox floor that isn't so scuffed-up that every robot is getting hung up on it. I know these are essentially "bonus episodes" that were taped after the main tournament but everybody's been scootin around like fools. WAIT. What are we talking about?

So like Danielson vs. Hager was really really good and I hope it doesn't get overlooked in Great Dynamite Matches discussion cause this was realistic big/little physical shit on a very high level. Hager has, and continues to, possess way more physically charisma than he's been given credit for and I continue to enjoy his role as a special attraction in AEW. There was this moment where I though "wait, Jake is a more-or-less legit MMA man! He knows how to get out of Danielson's subs!" and then he did, and then I realized Danielson had to win with the knee and so he did. I guess it killed the drama for me when it all clicked, but if anything else had happened I prolly woulda derided it for not being logical. Ah. The Smark's Dilemma. If the thing we thought was gonna happen actually happens, it's predictable. If something else happens we are personally offended that we didn't get to feel smart about guessing right.

Other people will talk about the other parts of this show so you can have at it.

That match is SO Schneider's pick for Monday.

• Like 2

Loved the Ace/Punk promo. Ace made Punk realize he's got to find that Eye of the Tiger!!! Totally sold on the main event being awesome and the match we expected to get originally last week.

Main event was as spectacular as expected. Loved the United Empire version of the Meltzer Driver with Ospreay doing a shooting star for it. 

Fun womens tag and 4 way spotfest sprint. I am sick of stokely being shoehorned in to every other angle, but it was cool to see W. Morrissey back. Assuming Morrissey is All Elite since he got new music. 

All Out's now got 11 matches + 3 on the preshow, looking forward to what should be another stacked epic lineup. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Do we all agree for once that the show was really good? Nia Jax & Nia Jax aka Aussie Open scared me a bunch with how sloppy and inept they are (I thought they were legit going to kill Omega on that hideous double superplex) but they lost so I didn't even mind that much. Other than that I thought everything was pretty damn fun. PPV suddenly back on track, and with four whole days to spare!! 

Stuff that was funny/interesting/cool: 

- I could swear JR said "It's Tuesday night and you know what that means!!" at the beginning, right?

- The two guys standing behind Punk during the end of his promo killed me. The one guy kept stoically nodding like he's Gedo calling plays, the other guy is cheering while wearing the t-shirt of Punk's IRL rival Hangman. 

- Britt Baker doing the clean ol' J.O.B. (even if it possibly means she's winning at the ppv, but maybe not). 

- As much as I agree that the roster is unwieldy at times, I actually thought having Big Cass come out and murder all the Wing Men was an effective way to establish that he's back to stay. Do we think they pulled the trigger on him because they see Hunter snapping up all the available talent?

- On a final and more serious note, I thought Punk was tremendous tonight but if I were one of the ppl backstage pissed off about Cabana being fired I imagine it would just be salt in the wound to see Punk also procuring time on national television for his bro Ace Steel. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That wasn’t in PiP and it was bad.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Main event was as spectacular as expected. Loved the United Empire version of the Meltzer Driver with Ospreay doing a shooting star for it.  

Right so if you do a Spike Piledriver you are utilizing gravity and leaning your weight and momentum into the piledriver. 

The Meltzer Driver, silly though it may be, has the Spiker flipping in the same direction as the Piledriver. Downwards and all that.

If you're doing a Shooting Star Press, you're rotating up. Your body is spinning in the opposite direction of the way you're trying to jam the Piledrivee. The move was totally wack.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Right so if you do a Spike Piledriver you are utilizing gravity and leaning your weight and momentum into the piledriver. 

The Meltzer Driver, silly though it may be, has the Spiker flipping in the same direction as the Piledriver. Downwards and all that.

If you're doing a Shooting Star Press, you're rotating up. Your body is spinning in the opposite direction of the way you're trying to jam the Piledrivee. The move was totally wack.

I was stunned they showed so many replays of it considering it was so dumb looking you couldn't even tell if it was a botch or just a really stupid spot. 

• Like 2

Weird show tonight. Tonight's show did not feel like a go-home Dynamite before a PPV. 

I think Moxley's opening promo was good enough. But I'm just really confused by the Punk/Moxley storyline right now. Not to mention, Moxley is so good and convincing, he had the Chicago crowd turning on Punk and rooting for him tonight.

Also, the crowd tonight was bad. They sounded low energy and half awake in some parts, but dialed in for others, like the main event and when Punk and Steel start screaming.

The Punk segment was terrible. Punk sounded absolutely lost and confused out there. Ace Steel comes out and starts screaming. If Punk is that injured he came back too early and that's the reason he lot, what different is a few more days going to make? Because he's in Chicago? Also, Punk's sudden change in attitude, when the fans were practically done with him all because Ace Steel starts screaming was weak. Steel screaming was all the motivation Punk needed? None of this makes sense. It feels like they stuffed several weeks worth of storytelling all into one segment.

And all that just to get us back to Punk vs. Moxley 2 at the PPV because why? Why is that the match? Why is no one else rushing to grab the open contract? Either way, Punk's sudden term and going for cheap pops didn't feel earned. Nor does this rematch feel earned either. 

Why would Moxley even come out again after Punk had already gone? All of that felt messy. Not to mention the announcers overselling every second of these promo interactions, which felt like the worst canned commentary by Michael Cole and JBL ever.

With WWE, it was the invisible camera man for years, decades even. In AEW, it's the promo interruptions. Sometimes the promo interruptions make sense. But far too often we have promos or interview segments just to interrupt them. That's the status quo, and it's something AEW goes to the well far too often for. So now we have a match for Hangman, when the dude has been absolutely floundering ever since losing to Punk. Not to mention, you have Punk actually coming out on TV and calling him a coward, and Hangman doesn't even acknowledge it or follow up on it any way? Dumb. Bad. 

Vince McMahon being an utter incompetent idiot surrounded by yes men was Tony Khan's safety net for the last three years. It's gone now. Tonight's show felt more like a 2020s Vince McMahon WWE show than any AEW show ever.

The honeymoon is officially over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

The Punk segment was terrible. Punk sounded absolutely lost and confused out there. Ace Steel comes out and starts screaming. If Punk is that injured he came back too early and that's the reason he lot, what different is a few more days going to make? Because he's in Chicago? Also, Punk's sudden change in attitude, when the fans were practically done with him all because Ace Steel starts screaming was weak. Steel screaming was all the motivation Punk needed? None of this makes sense. It feels like they stuffed several weeks worth of storytelling all into one segment.

Ever played sports? Or even seen a sports movie?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Weird show tonight. Tonight's show did not feel like a go-home Dynamite before a PPV. 

I think Moxley's opening promo was good enough. But I'm just really confused by the Punk/Moxley storyline right now. Not to mention, Moxley is so good and convincing, he had the Chicago crowd turning on Punk and rooting for him tonight.

Also, the crowd tonight was bad. They sounded low energy and half awake in some parts, but dialed in for others, like the main event and when Punk and Steel start screaming.

And all that just to get us back to Punk vs. Moxley 2 at the PPV because why? Why is that the match? Why is no one else rushing to grab the open contract? Either way, Punk's sudden term and going for cheap pops didn't feel earned. Nor does this rematch feel earned either. 

Why would Moxley even come out again after Punk had already gone? All of that felt messy. Not to mention the announcers overselling every second of these promo interactions, which felt like the worst canned commentary by Michael Cole and JBL ever.

With WWE, it was the invisible camera man for years, decades even. In AEW, it's the promo interruptions. Sometimes the promo interruptions make sense. But far too often we have promos or interview segments just to interrupt them. That's the status quo, and it's something AEW goes to the well far too often for. So now we have a match for Hangman, when the dude has been absolutely floundering ever since losing to Punk. Not to mention, you have Punk actually coming out on TV and calling him a coward, and Hangman doesn't even acknowledge it or follow up on it any way? Dumb. Bad. 

Vince McMahon being an utter incompetent idiot surrounded by yes men was Tony Khan's safety net for the last three years. It's gone now. Tonight's show felt more like a 2020s Vince McMahon WWE show than any AEW show ever.

The honeymoon is officially over.

Options for this one:

1. Bring back the "confused" react.

2. Gimmick poster status confirmed.

3. You forgot to mention ROH.

Vote for your favorite!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Does this mean a normal Shooting Star Press doesn't actually hurt because the person delivering it is rotating up and not, like, landing on someone, because of gravity?

• Like 3