DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

Stuart Margolin - best known for playing Angel in Rockford Files - passed away at the age of 82

He also directed A LOT of episodes of TV shows we watched growing up (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Wonder Woman, Touched by an Angel, The Love Boat, Magnum, P.I., Northern Exposure, Quantum Leap)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nicki Aycox - best known for playing Meg Masters in Supernatural - passed away at the age of 47

While cause of death wasn't announced - she had announced last year that she was diagnosed with Leukemia 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Nicki Aycox - best known for playing Meg Masters in Supernatural - passed away at the age of 47

While cause of death wasn't announced - she had announced last year that she was diagnosed with Leukemia 

I forgive you.  You don't hate my previous post.  You can't flip back to earlier pages to check out prior posts.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I forgive you.  You don't hate my previous post.  You can't flip back to earlier pages to check out prior posts.

If you posted it then the board ate your post because I don't see it

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Plus - the Get Carter connection gets diluted now because of the terrible Sly remake

I don't believe that for a minute and I think that most people that think of Flash Gordon because of the connection with Queen haven't the foggiest idea who directed it but I'm not arguing with you, he's known for both. However, there have probably easily been several hundred thousand more words devoted to discussing Get Carter.

Sonya Eddy, best known for her role as Epiphany Johnson on the ABC soap opera “General Hospital,” has died at 55, Variety has confirmed.

“I am heartbroken about the loss of the incredible Sonya Eddy. I truly loved her not only as an actress, but as a friend. The lights in the hub of the nurse’s station will now be a little dimmer, but her spirit and light will live on in both the show and our set. On behalf of the entire GH cast and crew, we send our deepest sympathy to her family, friends and fans. She will be very missed.” Frank Valentini, “General Hospital” executive producer, said in a statement.

Eddy joined the long-running hospital drama in 2006 as the frank, no-nonsense nurse, and played the role for 543 episodes, appearing as recently as this past October. The character served as head nurse, and was the mother to Stan Johnson (played by Kiko Ellsworth) who was killed off from the show in 2007 following a mob hit. In real life, Eddy was also a licensed vocational nurse.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/obituaries-people-news/sonya-eddy-dead-general-hospital-1235466535/?cx_testId=48&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

RIP to the father of the found footage horror genre.  Whether you approve of the content or not, Cannibal Holocaust paved the way for the Blair Witch Projects, [REC]s, Chronicles, and Paranormal Activities.  it is a significant piece of work.

The Washing Machine is also pretty badass.  It is off the charts sleazy and is probably the perfect distillation of years of Deodato getting the formula down to a fine science.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Yeah. Cannibal Holocaust, regardless of taste, is a monumental film. It still can't be touched. His own Jungle Holocaust/Last Cannibal World might be almost as good in a conventional fashion (and is the only other cannibal film you can take seriously), but that one is special. 

Now, the only other Deodato film I've seen is The House by the Edge of the Park and that is the true sleaze.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I have a friend who’s been after me to watch Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man for years. I’ll have to finally give it a shot.

I’ve been curious about a movie Ruggero made in the 80s called Phantom of Death because I adore anything Phantom of the Opera and it appears to be a straight up Phantom ripoff. It just made it onto YouTube in English so I’m going to try to get into that today. 

• Like 1

A few years back, I happened to catch a Deodato film called The Concorde Affair on YouTube. Definitely not a Deodato film like the ones mentioned above -- this was an Italian take on 70s U.S. action/detective fare (essentially a "what if the Italians tackled Quinn Martin productions"). I thought it was decent by TV-movie standards, but there are a few hallmarks of Italian ripoffs to be found (obvious miniatures, American leads looking for a quick buck, etc.). 

• RIPPA locked this topic