DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Beautiful Pain - 5/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The six-women tag was fairly decent though I disliked no explanation of why Shayna and Nia were allowed to work Smackdown without being tag champs.

I surprisingly don't dislike Bugenhagen as a guitarist hype man for Nakamura.

Looking forward to Usos vs. Profits next week.

The fatal 4-way was solid enough. Good to see Black back though I can't say I love E being his first feud.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I tuned in and heard them talking about Rick Boobs...and I thought OMG THEY HAVE A NEW TITTY MASTER ??

Rattling Rick Boobs.

HIT THE MUSIC~!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Rattling Rick Boobs.

HIT THE MUSIC~!

No, with his guitar he's Riffing Rick Boobs.

Seriously it was so out of left field to see him on Smackdown. I guess this is part of the fresh faces campaign they want to do in the company. It is amusing though that both brands now have a guitar player. The show was pretty good tonight. Heyman as usual was amazing when he got to sing the praises of Roman Reigns.

I love the layers that the Uso's have right now. Jimmy wants to shine and Jay just wants the blessing of his chief. Next week should be a good match with The Profits, but that tribal massacre is coming and Jimmy is going to get put down by his own brother.

The fatal 4way was a good match. The ending came out of nowhere though. Why Allister and Big E? I could understand him and Owens. Well, at least hes back on tv and apparently got tattooed up when he was a kid. Who knew.

I actually watched most of this show. Tapped out with half an hour left because the only match they were hyping was obviously not having a clean finish. Whole lot of talking. Talking, talking talking. And almost all of it was Roman and the Usos. The announcers were marking out for the Guitar playing, but the dude wasn't exactly Maxx Payne out there. He was off key as often as he was on it.

And then some throwaway line about the Brand Exchange Agreement where you can wrestle for the other brand once every quarter, which you'd think would be a pretty big deal with an official announcement or something. 

• Haha 1

Laughed when Heyman did the champion (Roman)/Title holders (everyone else on the ramp) thing.  Lol, it's only painful because it's true.

Roman's on another level right now.  I kind of want to see the Usos reunite as Roman's attack dogs, but, until then, a Jimmy-Jey-Roman feud is intriguing.

The Rollins fashion victim thing is weird.  I assume it's part of his character, but I'm not sure commentary has ever mentioned it on tv, so I dunno what the point would be.  For that matter, what is Rollins' character these days?  They seem to have dropped the "Messiah" character when he came back from paternity leave, but he also doesn't seem to have any motivation right now beyond generic heel.  I'm not even sure why he started feuding with Cesaro.  

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I actually watched most of this show. Tapped out with half an hour left because the only match they were hyping was obviously not having a clean finish. Whole lot of talking. Talking, talking talking. And almost all of it was Roman and the Usos. The announcers were marking out for the Guitar playing, but the dude wasn't exactly Maxx Payne out there. He was off key as often as he was on it.

And then some throwaway line about the Brand Exchange Agreement where you can wrestle for the other brand once every quarter, which you'd think would be a pretty big deal with an official announcement or something. 

I don't think he was so much out of key so much as guitar is a fretted instrument with equal temperament and that means notes are not going to match perfectly with those played by a violin or other fretless instruments where notes from a scale can be played with more precision - in the high register that he was playing, this can be more easily noticed as it can be a few hz out.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

I'm good with a Black/E feud in theory as I think they could have some good matches, but Black hasn't been on tv in over six months and Big E just came out on the losing end of a feud with Crews. Neither of them are really in a position to lose.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The strings bend.

Yeah, but you're asking a lot to expect a guitarist to use string bending to compensate for temperament issues.I'm sure he'll work on it - let's face it, decision was probably made on the day or something.

And to @Eoae, yeah Rick Boogs is Eric Bugenhagen, who most notably appeared in a match in early 2019. He sort of has own cult following on YouTube where he has had a bodybuilding/strength channel for a while. Less than 100 matches deep, so probably still green but has amateur background. He's also a 2 time 24-7 champ as Joseph Average aka 'The Night Panther' - no idea whether or when that will be retconned to Boogs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

So the guitar dude was someone from the performance center?  I just assumed he was some rocker i had never heard of.

Eric Bugenhagen. He has been on NXT tv a couple of times, but that is it. He would air guitar his theme during his entrance. The crowd liked him quite a bit.

19 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'm good with a Black/E feud in theory as I think they could have some good matches, but Black hasn't been on tv in over six months and Big E just came out on the losing end of a feud with Crews. Neither of them are really in a position to lose.

This is why I'm not big on the two feuding. I was kind of hoping Black would go after Owens and get revenge there.

• Thanks 1

In a wrestling world where heels do beat faces clean sometimes, Big E never really lost any matches to Crews, who is basically the Honky Tonk Man at this point, without the Honky obviously.

But I do agree, it will take creative booking and good matches to get both Black and E out of the feud better than when they went in.

What's less clear is what Crews does now....there's only really more Owens, or Cesaro (still feuding with Rollins), or Nakamura (Corbin). They can dust Murphy off maybe, or turn Otis baby, maybe have Montez Ford have a go (I know many of you guys wanted him to come to the main roster solo). But it's pretty thin.

And that's forgetting that Reigns actually has to have opponents. I'm guessing they dust Edge off again for Summerslam but....tbh everybody who's on Roman's jock for being an awesome heel and wanting him to be champ into next year is forgetting that he's not really putting anyone over. Ok, Jey Uso maybe has been elevated but that's as much to do with Daniel Bryan as Reigns, maybe more. And that's the thing....if Smackdown wanted to elevate somebody..all they had to do was put him in the ring with Bryan and have them go toe-to-toe with him. They could have really done with Christian right now in all honesty.

Smackdown is a fun show, and I can enjoy that don't get me wrong. But I think it may start to lose steam until the next draft.

If you aren't a trained musician, you shouldn't be commenting on how someone plays. Like sure, you can say you liked it or not, but it's disrespectful to get into technique, if you've never been on the strings.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

If you aren't a trained musician, you shouldn't be commenting on how someone plays. Like sure, you can say you liked it or not, but it's disrespectful to get into technique, if you've never been on the strings.

I know. It's like saying if you've never been in the ring, you shouldn't critique of a wrestler's technique. It's certainly something that would not be tolerated on this board. ? No offense AxB.?