DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

To be clear, I am not fundamentally opposed to Stump Beefknob showing up as part of the AEW roster. It's specifically him being used in AEW the way he's currently used in WWE (a part-time who is clearly treated as being better than and more important than every full-time wrestler) that would get me to turn my back on AEW, renounce my AEW fandom, and literally post a video of me burning that hoodie (it's XXL, brother) as my final act as a wrestling fan. I think that would be the final straw for me. (I might still go to local indie shows to hang out and drink, after COVID etc).

On the other hand, I can honestly imagine a few scenarios (like those proposed by @John from Cincinnati) where Blast Thickneck in AEW could be genuinely awesome. Like, supremely entertaining and enjoyable.

And I can also imagine it sucking, hard.

I kinda hope it's Taker, so AEW can give us Taker vs Sting (cinematic style)

Maybe Tony K offered Trunk Slamchest a tryout with the Jags?

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

To be clear, I am not fundamentally opposed to Stump Beefknob showing up as part of the AEW roster. It's specifically him being used in AEW the way he's currently used in WWE (a part-time who is clearly treated as being better than and more important than every full-time wrestler) that would get me to turn my back on AEW, renounce my AEW fandom, and literally post a video of me burning that hoodie as my final act as a wrestling fan. I think that would be the final straw for me. (I might still go to local indie shows to hang out and drink, after COVID etc).

On the other hand, I can honestly imagine a few scenarios (like those proposed by @John from Cincinnati) where Blast Thickneck in AEW could be genuinely awesome. Like, supremely entertaining and enjoyable.

Maybe Tony K offered him a tryout with the Jags.

Stump Beefknob and Blast Thickness.... I'm confused, but i'm in 100% support of this substitution...

• Like 2

Regardless of who shows up, one of the coolest things about AEW gaining momentum and announcing a new dude to the AEW roster is the return of this excitement of who it could be.

I've been texting with a close friend who is just barely less hardcore about wrestling than I am, and we've been going back and forth on who we wish it would be (Punk, Hero or Bryan, but with no chance of it being Bryan) to who we hope it isn't (Angle, Steiner, RVD). We haven't had talks like this since we were in our late teens-early 20's. It's very fun. Just reminds me how awesome it is that there is another brand that is doing well, and that brand is working with OTHER brands. It's really really cool.

• Like 5

At this point, the ONLY negative is that the person they get could be disappointing for some. For me, that would be anyone who can't still go in the ring.

Taker sucks.

Edited by Valcourt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Fuck the casual fans.  Why are we so concerned about whether AEW can draw casuals?  How about we just hope for a good show and let them worry about the business end?  What is more enjoyable:

Waiting on a surprise wrestler and saying, "man, I hope this guy is a draw that can bring in people who barely like wrestling and make TK some money!"

OR

Waiting on a surprise wrestler and saying, "man, I hope this guy is really fucking good at wrestling so I can enjoy this shit even more!"

When did we stop being wrestling fans and instead became fans of business?  When did we trade in Pro Wrestling Illustrated for Pro Balance Sheet Illustrated?

Here's who I hope shows up for either of these roles or both, even though some are impossible due to contracts, because I fucking like wrestling and not TK's bank account or whether people who barely like wrestling will be drawn to this shit:

Chris Hero

Chris Dickinson

Calvin Tankman

Blake Christian

Hoodfoot

Thomas Santell

Mike Bailey

Tom Lawlor

O'Shay Edwards

Lord Crewe

The amazing and resurgent Suge D working his bitter heel gimmick

Anybody being criminally misused in WWE or NXT

Whoever @NoFistsJustFlipsis

I like watching a good wrestling match.  I don't give two good shits whether somebody is a draw and might rope in the casuals.

This is not meant to be a slight of @Bryan  It's meant to be a slight of this bullshit mentality.

I’m not concerned about the business I’m concerned about how the wrestler is perceived.

A surprise is supposed to illicit an excited reaction from the crowd.

Evil Uno and Stu Grayson’s debut fell flat because over half the crowd didn’t know who they were. The Butcher and the Blade had an even more muted reaction with their surprise debut because even less people knew who they were.

I’m familiar with half the names on your list and would be excited by some of them but if I was in the audience and they announced someone named Hoodfoot...I’d be like: “Who..? What a weird name.” Instead of going crazy that someone I didn’t expect to be there showed up.

Maybe Hoodfoot is amazing. But I’ve never heard that name until today (and I’m sure I’m not alone) so if he were the final participant both he and AEW would be be better served with a video package or a series of video packages hyping him up.

Then people would be anticipating seeing him debut and so would get a much better reaction than the bafflement other indie guys have received in AEW when they made their surprise debuts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

Regardless of who shows up, one of the coolest things about AEW gaining momentum and announcing a new dude to the AEW roster is the return of this excitement of who it could be.

I've been texting with a close friend who is just barely less hardcore about wrestling than I am, and we've been going back and forth on who we wish it would be (Punk, Hero or Bryan, but with no chance of it being Bryan) to who we hope it isn't (Angle, Steiner, RVD). We haven't had talks like this since we were in our late teens-early 20's. It's very fun. Just reminds me how awesome it is that there is another brand that is doing well, and that brand is working with OTHER brands. It's really really cool.

Yeah, it is cool to talk about wrestling and come up with crazy theories. My friend had an insane theory about it being Ryback the hall of fame caliber talk was meant to set him up as a top heel. Which I think is less crazy than the Undertaker but it’s all fun.

• Like 1

I have two friends who are aware of wrestling, but by no means know anyone who kills it on the indies.

They said they thought it was cool to see Big Show on Wednesday, STANG! and Jericho. They even said when I complained about too many older dudes after Big Shows announcement that the people they know is what would make them watch... I'm into AEW and want them to get bigger and bigger, so i'll suck it up and accept some of the legends need to be there as well.

On another note, these two casual fans are probably ordering the PPV based on some of the names but also because the barb wire death match. Hopefully they get it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

AEW's locker room morale, with its complete lack of stabbings, drugs, and bigots, would give Taker a coronary.

I like The Undertaker but he came across as a right tit with those locker room remarks harking back to the good ole days.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Alright if we're gonna throw out random-ass names I go with Lance Storm.  By no means would I call him a HOFer but he said he can still go and is friends with Jericho.  Hmm... I gotta admit that wild speculation actually felt kind of nice.

But for real it feels good to have that excitement and feel that whoever they announce will be somebody that's worth bringing in.  There's a buzz to the show that they mainly find a way to generate and is also one of the reasons I'm glad I'll be seeing the show live.  Heck, my friends are always down for a PPV but for them to reach out saying "Dude, I hope you're having it because of who might be there." is a pretty cool thing to be approached with.

• Like 3

I'll call my shot and predict that Coach Tony K does the ol' okie doke where Christian debuts as the last guy in the ladder match, fans/announcers react as if he's Show's big surprise to throw everyone off the scent, and then at the end of the show, the real surprise debuts after the main event is over. I'll predict Angle, though I'm fascinated by the idea of Brock Lesnar in AEW.

Just to temper some of yalls expectations lol... they pulled Brock's merch months ago when his deal expired. The same was true with Sting, once his contract ended WWE pulled his merch because they no longer had legal standing to sell it. Just because those two facts are true, doesn't mean that someone's merch being pulled means they are definitely going somewhere else. Case in point, plenty of Big Show merch still available on WWE Shop right now. Don't work yourself into a shoot over t-shirts brother. ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

FYI Sting's merchandise was pulled from wwe.com before he joined AEW. BORK LASER confirmed!!!

Lesnar’s merch was wiped last spring/summer. And his items in the various WWE mobile games were removed/OOP pretty much immediately - which they rarely do (not even Jericho, Ambrose, FTR, Gallows/Anderson, Matt Hardy...)

39 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just to temper some of yalls expectations lol... they pulled Brock's merch months ago when his deal expired. The same was true with Sting, once his contract ended WWE pulled his merch because they no longer had legal standing to sell it. Just because those two facts are true, doesn't mean that someone's merch being pulled means they are definitely going somewhere else. Case in point, plenty of Big Show merch still available on WWE Shop right now. Don't work yourself into a shoot over t-shirts brother. ?

But does Nikki Bella still have merch? 

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

But does Nikki Bella still have merch? 

Tons. WWE is also one of the production companies on Total Bellas and (for whatever this is worth...?) Nikki and Brie are both listed as "ambassadors" on the WWE personnel Wikipedia. 

I definitely considered throwing her name in when I was talking shit earlier about Ronda and Trish. Probably for the best they're off the board. I imagine the hypohetical reaction to the Garcia-Colace twins in AEW would slant towards toxic. 

Baseless speculation is FUN!

Edited by John from Cincinnati