DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 8/19/2020

John from Cincinnati

• Adam Cole and Pat McAfee "face to face"
  • Finn Balor vs Veleveteen Dream (NA ladder match qualifier)
  • Johnny Gargano vs Ridge Holland (NA ladder match qualifier)
  • Rhea Ripley and Shotzi Blackheart vs The Robert Stone Brand (Mercedes Martinez and Aliyah) w/Robert Stone
  • Legado del Fantasma (Santos Escobar, Joaquin Wilde, and Raul Mendoza) vs Isaiah "Swerve" Scott and Breezango (Fandango and Tyler Breeze)
Edited by Andy in Kansas

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The one day I might want to watch this live and they have possibly two matches I'd like to watch and no Thatcher or Lorcan. Fuckers.

The one day where I could watch it live if I wanted to and they have a Velveteen Dream match.  Nope, not doing it.

• Like 3

So I'm torn on McAfee.

- I'm from West Virginia and a WVU guy so I want to like Pat(that's where he played college football and was basically a cult hero in Morgantown)

- But Goddamn is he grating and annoying.

- But he cut a REALLY good promo on Cole tonight.

- But Goddamn is he grating and annoying.

In conclusion, I really don't know how to handle this feud.

Are El Legado using Razor Ramon's old music or am I just hearing things?

For as much shit as McAfee talked about Cole's size, he didn't look that much bigger.

Even though 4/5 matches at Takeover sound good on paper I can't be bothered to care about NXT that much lately. It went from being my favorite thing in wrestling to just in kind of a holding pattern for the past year or so.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

they have possibly two matches I'd like to watch

1. Was eating during the six man

2. Women's tag looked great. The powerbomb coming off this time was great because I thought there was plexiglass on that side and -- whoops! -- no there wasn't! Then they show the replay from the other angle and it looks like Mercedes vanishes off the side of a building, haha. Was the manager dude wearing some kind of open-toed dress shoes?! 

24 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

For as much shit as McAfee talked about Cole's size, he didn't look that much bigger.

This was exactly what I thought as well and gave me a chuckle. 

I skipped around the Pat/Cole face toface. What I heard sounded generally good, but both guys kind of annoy me to the point where I can't really be bothered with their feud.

I enjoyed Holland/Gargano until that powerslam slam botch. That was fucking brutal and I'm glad Gargano came out of it ok.

Legado del Fantasma vs. Breezango/Swerve was good.

Kai/Kamea was a nice little showcase for Jessie. Loved the aftermath with Raquel's return to murder Io.

Rhea/Shotzi vs. Mercedes/Aliyah was good stuff as expected and probably the highlight of the night for me.

Credit due, I think Pat McAfee did a good job as the wrestling heel. If they are going to do a celebrity crossover, at least they brought in a guy who clearly likes wrestling, has some actual charisma, and is capable of cutting a decent promo.

3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

True thankfully Johnny didn't leave a bloody imprint on the landing like Necro did. 

That Samoa Joe/Necro Butcher match was such a spectacle with nasty bumps by Necro. The powerslam on Necro's forehead, the attempted exploder from the ring apron to the floor and a powerbomb on a guardrail. I'll have to rewatch it. Haven't seen it in ages.

Edited by The Natural

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

I skip Matt Riddle and I'll be doing the same with the Velveteen Dream.

This is coming from someone who liked both, especially Matt Riddle. Can't watch either since the Speaking Out movement. Likely avoid Will Ospreay as well.

• Like 1