DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

The only good thing I remember about Wrestlemania on NES was being able to constantly do Bam Bam cartwheel attack.  Good stuff.

When I got a SNES I was allowed to pick two games and because I was an idiot I got Super Wrestlemania as one of them.  Everyone had the exact same moves I was so goddamned mad.  

The other game I got was Populous, which was a much better choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm so old, WWF Wrestlemania on NES was my first wrestling game. It wasn't good, I have no positives to report.

That game didn't even come out until 1989! SIR, I DISPUTE YOUR RIGHT TO THE TITLE "Old".

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I'm so old, Bop N' Wrestle on the C64 was my first wrestling game.

Bop N' Wrestle was awesome. I can still hear the music.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

That game didn't even come out until 1989! SIR, I DISPUTE YOUR RIGHT TO THE TITLE "Old".

Same!  It was fine for the time but you could win every single match it a gorilla press (lock up, away, toward) and flying splash.

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Same!  It was fine for the time but you could win every single match it a gorilla press (lock up, away, toward) and flying splash.

Yeah, and think how much better modern indy wrestling would be if that were still true. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm so old, WWF Wrestlemania on NES was my first wrestling game. It wasn't good, I have no positives to report.

Mine was probably the WCW Nintendo game. 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:11 PM, SirSmUgly said:

Which one? Hardcore Revolution or Anarchy Rulz?

Warzone was bad, and so was Attitude, but I spent a lot of time with them, especially because Warzone was such a leap from the LJN WWF games that Acclaim was putting out.

I remember playing a lot of WWF Raw on Genesis as a kid which was good for me at the time and getting the GamePro with the special moves was pretty fun. I remember Doink having a crazy move. In Your House was fun for the time as well (rented it from Blockbuster a few times) but the AI got super tough. Warzone was a game changer for someone who didn't have a N64 for the AKI games and WCW vs. The World was never in stock around me. I had tons and tons of hours into that game and remember saving up money to buy Attitude from the mall when it came out. But yeah looking back, those were awful games.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:04 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I never got that far, but the tutorial stages are all the same quest ("do X Y times and then win") but the dialogue between them is entirely different; it's all about putting over the Junior division as unique and dynamic. Champion Road Beyond, meanwhile, is completely differenr--it was written by Suda51 as a sequel to the infamous Fire Pro 3 story where Ric Fl...I mean Dick Slender kills your tag partner and your hero commits suicide after winning the belt. It doesn't have the stat management, etc that the NJPW modes do, just a straight shot thru a series of matches with a story that isn't even Suda-level crazy.

The final match in the junior mode is Omega and I had a moment where he just went crazy spamming V triggers and snap dragon suplexes where I almost lost and I got a pin on a springboard moonsault because I got worried. 

the Suda story is pretty good but yeah it's not super crazy or anything. 

As far as 2k24, I had to open a service ticket with 2K to get my Gunther card since they swapped out the rewards but I got some extra VC from them because of it so that was fine. The Live Event you need the card for is a 6 man battle royale which is full of nonsense since you need to beat it 4 times to get every reward but it took me about an hour. I like MyFaction because it forces me to get familiar with other wrestlers that I normally wouldn't use and get an appreciation for their movesets. Like I love using Blair Davenport now because of the mode since she was my only good woman's card for the first 3 weeks until I beat the Showcase mode and got a Becky card from one of the weekly events.

Also, the voice actor for the men's My Player mode is awful. Who thought it was a good idea to keep that audio?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WrestleMania: The Arcade Game is a legit good game. I have the Sega Saturn version. Fun times, and the commentary is excellent. Vinnie Jr. doing the Tim Kitzrow style BOOMSHAKALAKA is super entertaining.

Boy, was I bummed at the considerably worse character modeling and choppy gameplay in In Your House. 

Edited by SirSmUgly

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Mine was probably the WCW Nintendo game. 

Oh lord, that game.  Every character had the same body and wore long tights and no shirt, regardless of how they looked IRL.  The only difference was the heads.  What I did like, though, was how you could choose your moveset before starting.

wcw-world-championship-wrestling-nintend

Possibly Michael Hayes vs Mike Rotunda.  Could also be Big John Studd vs TAKA Michinoku.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Important update! I turned to Google to listen to said music again, and learned that the DOS version's sound was COMPLETELY ASS.

The C-64 ruled, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

I remember playing a lot of WWF Raw on Genesis as a kid which was good for me at the time and getting the GamePro with the special moves was pretty fun. I remember Doink having a crazy move. In Your House was fun for the time as well (rented it from Blockbuster a few times) but the AI got super tough. Warzone was a game changer for someone who didn't have a N64 for the AKI games and WCW vs. The World was never in stock around me. I had tons and tons of hours into that game and remember saving up money to buy Attitude from the mall when it came out. But yeah looking back, those were awful games.

The final match in the junior mode is Omega and I had a moment where he just went crazy spamming V triggers and snap dragon suplexes where I almost lost and I got a pin on a springboard moonsault because I got worried. 

the Suda story is pretty good but yeah it's not super crazy or anything. 

As far as 2k24, I had to open a service ticket with 2K to get my Gunther card since they swapped out the rewards but I got some extra VC from them because of it so that was fine. The Live Event you need the card for is a 6 man battle royale which is full of nonsense since you need to beat it 4 times to get every reward but it took me about an hour. 

I need to do a ticket too, I'm in the same boat. 

I'm envying the shit out of your Waller and Davenport cards; I know I mentioned it before, but green Tyler Bate has only a 52 technical submission rating and you have to get 5 tapouts to get him to blue. Even using the Gordian Knot boost to his skills, I have only gotten 2 and that was by playing against Silence the mime and using the Move Thief Payback to do his LeBell Lock (and you'd better beat on him for a WHILE since you only get one shot.) Right now my main cards are Land of the Giants (boss faction) Undertaker, Showcase Steamboat, Hollywood Batista (picked up from the women's story) and Next Gen (boss Faction) Cody for the men, and Showcase Charlotte, Bianca and Asuka with Controlled Bliss (boss faction) Iyo to round it out. 

Speaking of the women's story, it is very silly but mostly fun. After the "welcome to the big leagues" stuff, you are given FULL CREATIVE CONTROL and get 3 single chapter stories: you can help Liv out by taking her booking on a thinly-disguised Hot Ones goof involving smelly cheese in hopes of raising your Hollywood profile, learn the path of cruelty and terror from Rhea, or unleash supernatural evil with Alexa's help. All 3 have the same number of side quests, and follow the same pattern--get an introduction from your mentor, surpass them, do a couple of side stories and then come back to them for a blow-off, after which a Face of Foley offers you a one-chance bonus match. I have done the first 2, am about halfway thru the Alexa chapter, and I think after this it's gonna ask me which persona I want to take into the final chapter. So far my favorite parts have been in the Hollywood path: toward the end, you get so exhausted juggling wrestling and outside gigs that Chelsea Green successfully

Spoiler

begs her way into being your personal assistant. She is incompetent and easily bored, so she hires Tiffany Stratton to be HER assistant and demands that you call Tiffany to ask her to call Chelsea to add things to your schedule. So you beat both their asses.

Like I said, dumb as hell but with kind of a goofy charm. After i finish this, I'm probably going back to Infinite Wealth before doing the men's story, but I will probably continue to do my Universe (went with the classic mode and decided to wait a bit on doing a superstar mode game) and Faction matches some.

Pretty sure Bop 'n' Wrestle (or Rock 'n' Wrestle as it was known, here in the UK) on the C64 was my first exposure to wrestling in any form, unless I'd already seen some random Saturday afternoon World of Sport. I don't remember the music at all, but I do seem to recall really garbled, crunchy 'speech' effects during moves.

• Like 1

The first wrestling game I played was this:

Wrestle War (video game) - Wikipedia

It's not very good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxB said:

The first wrestling game I played was this:

Wrestle War (video game) - Wikipedia

It's not very good.

I remember playing this in a convenience store.  Checking Wikipedia, it wasn't released for Genesis in the US; so starved for wrestling games was I, I would have probably bought it.  I do remember emulating it a long time ago, can't remember if it was the arcade version on MAME or a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator, but the ROM wasn't the best and you could only play maybe one or two matches before it got janky.  Looking on the ROM site I use nowadays, I don't see it listed for Genesis. 

You know what was a kick in the ass?  Really loving Power Move Pro wrestling (US port of NJPW Toukon Retsuden 1), getting my PS1 modded to play TR2 & 3,  a few years later hearing that the same developer is going to make WWE games, and then the Smackdown game is released with a greatly dumbed-down controls and it's nothing like TR.

• Like 1

It was basically, every wrestler wrestled identically except for their finishing move. Same moveset, same CPU logic. Punch, Bodyslam, Irish Whip, Clothesline, repeat.

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oh lord, that game.  Every character had the same body and wore long tights and no shirt, regardless of how they looked IRL.  The only difference was the heads.  What I did like, though, was how you could choose your moveset before starting.

wcw-world-championship-wrestling-nintend

Possibly Michael Hayes vs Mike Rotunda.  Could also be Big John Studd vs TAKA Michinoku.

This was also my first wrestling game on the NES.  In Japan, this was Super Star Pro Wrestling, and had a nice lineup of folks.  It also explains why some finishers for the WCW guys made no sense.

The Famicom version had Abby, Maeda, Andre (NPC), Road Warriors, Inoki, Brody, Tenryu, Baba, Jumbo, Choshu, Hansen and Vader

55 minutes ago, paragon11 said:

This was also my first wrestling game on the NES.  In Japan, this was Super Star Pro Wrestling, and had a nice lineup of folks.  It also explains why some finishers for the WCW guys made no sense.

The Famicom version had Abby, Maeda, Andre (NPC), Road Warriors, Inoki, Brody, Tenryu, Baba, Jumbo, Choshu, Hansen and Vader

Yeah, Andre was a NPC in the WCW game, too.  He was the WCW Master, the boss of the game.  They put him in a Giant Machine type mask.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Playing Fire Pro World...I thought I hated tag matches where the game controls your partner.  Turns out I just hate games where your partner's AI is braindead.

Thankfully Fire Pro has the best AI you can adjust in video games.

• Like 1

2k24 patched today. A few bug fixes, some QOL stuff like being able to pick a ring announcer other than the default, and they added the wrestlers from the 40 Years DLC (the arena isn't coming til after the show, obviously). They also have a community survey running, and I told them that (a) the more aggressive monetization has really turned me off of Faction and (b) I am not kidding when I say I want the choice of not getting the Supercharger token installed if I buy the Deluxe Edition.

I grabbed the 40 year pack but I haven't done anything with them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I need to do a ticket too, I'm in the same boat. 

I'm envying the shit out of your Waller and Davenport cards; I know I mentioned it before, but green Tyler Bate has only a 52 technical submission rating and you have to get 5 tapouts to get him to blue. Even using the Gordian Knot boost to his skills, I have only gotten 2 and that was by playing against Silence the mime and using the Move Thief Payback to do his LeBell Lock (and you'd better beat on him for a WHILE since you only get one shot.) Right now my main cards are Land of the Giants (boss faction) Undertaker, Showcase Steamboat, Hollywood Batista (picked up from the women's story) and Next Gen (boss Faction) Cody for the men, and Showcase Charlotte, Bianca and Asuka with Controlled Bliss (boss faction) Iyo to round it out. 

Speaking of the women's story, it is very silly but mostly fun. After the "welcome to the big leagues" stuff, you are given FULL CREATIVE CONTROL and get 3 single chapter stories: you can help Liv out by taking her booking on a thinly-disguised Hot Ones goof involving smelly cheese in hopes of raising your Hollywood profile, learn the path of cruelty and terror from Rhea, or unleash supernatural evil with Alexa's help. All 3 have the same number of side quests, and follow the same pattern--get an introduction from your mentor, surpass them, do a couple of side stories and then come back to them for a blow-off, after which a Face of Foley offers you a one-chance bonus match. I have done the first 2, am about halfway thru the Alexa chapter, and I think after this it's gonna ask me which persona I want to take into the final chapter. So far my favorite parts have been in the Hollywood path: toward the end, you get so exhausted juggling wrestling and outside gigs that Chelsea Green successfully

Hide contents

begs her way into being your personal assistant. She is incompetent and easily bored, so she hires Tiffany Stratton to be HER assistant and demands that you call Tiffany to ask her to call Chelsea to add things to your schedule. So you beat both their asses.

Like I said, dumb as hell but with kind of a goofy charm. After i finish this, I'm probably going back to Infinite Wealth before doing the men's story, but I will probably continue to do my Universe (went with the classic mode and decided to wait a bit on doing a superstar mode game) and Faction matches some.

The Andre the Giant boss card you can get from Faction Wars is crazy good (high vitality, doles out tons of damage, oddly high power submission rating, and a bonus skill that fills up the stun meter fast and another one that reduces your recovery time so you don't stay down as long). I also hit on the ruby Dom from the Heat pack so that's a nice bonus. Also the Emerald Indi you can buy from the Token market is sneaky good because her speed is like 88.

I'm running the Faction Boss Andre, HBK '94 from the Showcase rewards, my Ruby evo Waller, and the Ruby Dom from the Heat pack for the men and Ruby evo Blair, a ruby Becky from a Live Event (any stats that aren't the same are one point higher with the live Becky versus the showcase Becky, but the badges are different) and Ruby Bianca and Rhea from Showcase mode. I do have a the Ruby Savage from the Live event you need the Gunther card for, and a Ruby Finn from a live event. Other women's cards are a Ruby Trish from the Heat pack (lucky me) and a Sapphire Charlotte from a live event.

Also I see they released the 40 Years of WrestleMania DLC today so I got more cards but they're all Golds so meh.

After actually figuring out how to play, I started Showcase mode again and this time I'm making progress.  I like the way it's presented, and I laughed at some of Hogan's Hoganing the Andre and Savage match (but he didn't do anything for Warrior).  I'm up to Bret/Austin.  Haven't rolled back into Universe or Rise mode as Superstar Universe mode is kinda repetitive and I HATE that Rise mode sticks you with "shit you have to do" in matches.

Kinda annoyed that they didn't do anything for Warrior/Savage in Showcase mode, and only put Savage from that in and not Warrior (his Mania 6 gear was probably his best gear).

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

This Pokemon shit hurts my head.

Seriously.  I read the post above yours and had no idea what any of it means.  🤣.   As long as the next GTA has no extra special virtual trading cards, I’m good.

Edited by Technico Support