DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I made it, like, a day before getting hit with TLOU2 plot spoilers.  Good luck to anyone trying to make it another month and a half.

Without getting into spoilers, I’ll just say that Naughty Dog definitely made some bold choices, and I’m very sad for them (and players, really) that many people won’t get to experience them while PLAYING THE GAME, as intended.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EVA said:

I made it, like, a day before getting hit with TLOU2 plot spoilers.  Good luck to anyone trying to make it another month and a half.

Without getting into spoilers, I’ll just say that Naughty Dog definitely made some bold choices, and I’m very sad for them (and players, really) that many people won’t get to experience them while PLAYING THE GAME, as intended.

I don't really get the "can't avoid them" sentiment.  I follow a fair number of game designers, employees, podcast hosts, etc. because I used to live in California and know a lot of these people personally.  I haven't seen a word of spoilery material in my Twitter feed.  Also been on Youtube and the odds that I'm going to see a spoiler video seem really small.  Based on prior experience with leaks, I feel fairly confident that I'll have to go out of my way to see spoilers.

Not that I'd care.  Spoilers don't bother me in the least.  Besides, if I don't want to wait until June to play TLoU 2, I'll just walk outside.

I am bugged by Ghost being delayed a month.  Not a big deal normally, but who knows what the world will be like by mid-July or if there will even be a world.  I want a physical copy, not a digital download, so at least one brick and mortar games store needs to survive for the next 10-11 weeks.

It's hard to avoid getting spoilered.  You have to do almost as much research to know which outlets to avoid as you need to do to know where to get your information.

Most early game spoilers don't bother me because just about every game demo usually centers around an entry mission or the first hour of gameplay.  However I really don't need to know any in depth plot information because that just ruins the story.

• Like 2

the difference with spoilers here is that a very loud contingent of people are upset with the delays and the way Naughty Dog has supposedly treated their employees, so on top of that is this leaked information that they really don't like. The circumstances have bred a whole legion of trolls who are going to post spoilers anywhere and everywhere they can, just to be a little petulant fucks about it. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

People are going to seek out spoilers just cause they rather know going in (see, the Star Wars and Marvel movie release threads).  In this case, it's blowback from Naughty Dog, standard issue Gamer screaming, and standard issue fan's not getting what they think they "should" be getting that fueling all this.  

• Like 1

The next Assassins' Creed game will indeed be the Viking one everyone was hoping for

Though I legit don't think I have ever seen a more boring live stream

8 hours just watching someone do graphic design work sure is something

Anyway - it is officially called Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and there will be a trailer released tomorrow

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

What was souls-style about Odyssey? That shit was straight up Witcher 4.

Are you having to choose between someone who is the equivalent to Yennefer or Triss in AC Odyssey?

Based on what you described, you're making me want to skip Assassin's Creed III on PS3 Platinum (and all the other ACs) and jump straight to Odyssey.

If you like constant inventory upgrading and Block/Roll attack combat with getting swamped by stuff with massively inflated HP as a substitute for "difficulty", go for it. 

Got exposed to the last of us spoilers, and the apparent reason why they got released. If the why is true, I don’t really wanna buy the game regardless. As for the story, I will say what I read would have lowered my expectations for the game no matter what, but maybe it plays better then it reads. But I will be sitting it out if the talk about how poorly treated (even by gaming standards) the employees were regardless.

The problem is the majority of the anti-ND majority on the internet are the cesspit of human beings. The type who wanted BioWare to fail for social reasons, who don’t give a shit about the worker conditions. And the other end are the ND diehards who are ignoring them as well just talking about how the studio earned everyone’s trust with past games. Which, you know, BioWare at one point did too, but that’s beside the point.

• Like 1

I know we are getting Ghost of Tsushima so I should shut the fuck up but how is an assassin series doing vikings before ninjas? How does that even make sense? The last two iterations are in my pile of shame but did they ditch the Templar stuff in those games? 

• Like 1

The whole thing with the Origins/Odyssey arcs is they get into the formations of the powers proper (Assassin's stemming out of the Greek Mercenaries and Egyptian Medjah, while the Templars aren't a thing yet (the opposite are more Precursor worshiping Cults)). The Assassin/Templar feud is still going on in the "modern" sections, but they're far less invasive than they were previously.  Since this round of games seems to be setting up the origins of things prior to Altair's era, we're probably getting the formation of the Templars proper since this looks to be Vikings vs. William the Conqueror and it's about the right time the real Knight Templar showed up (if off by 50ish years, but when has that stopped a video game before).  

• Like 2

How about we just get a complete reboot where there is no Altair or genetic memories and what not?

And go full bore into "alternate history" shit:  You're a former slave who escaped from a plantation and were eventually recruited into the Assassins.  Now you must sneak into famous Civil War battlefields and assassinate Robert E. Lee, Jeb Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, etc.  And in the final mission, you must sneak into heavily fortified Richmond and kill Jefferson Davis.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

How about we just get a complete reboot where there is no Altair or genetic memories and what not?

And go full bore into "alternate history" shit:  You're a former slave who escaped from a plantation and were eventually recruited into the Assassins.  Now you must sneak into famous Civil War battlefields and assassinate Robert E. Lee, Jeb Stuart, Nathan Bedford Forrest, etc.  And in the final mission, you must sneak into heavily fortified Richmond and kill Jefferson Davis.

Hey, here's $50m, can you just go ahead and produce this game for me? Thanks. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 6

A few more Valhalla notes

- Will come out for both XBOX and Playstation (Both current gen and the about to release next gen consoles). It will be PC exclusive on the Epic Game Store. (It will also be on Stadia for the 2 of you who use that)

- Eivor (the main character) can be male or female

There is a bunch more on the history and what not here - https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/21lHIAhPRlLCgNGJUaGxq1/assassins-creed-valhalla-the-history-behind-the-viking-legend