DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Shingo and Ishii never have nights off and are straight ahead, no nonsense brawlers of the highest order with Ishii being a top 5 wrestler in the world for what 5 years now and Shingo is probably in that top 15-20 range.

And they got main event on that 8/8 show. Feels like this could be a real passing of the torch match. Shingo isn't young either, but he is still 6-7 years younger than Ishii and they got rather similar style.

• Like 1

EVIL is the next Ishii, I feel like. It seems like Gedo knows what he has with Shingo and therefore Takagi has a higher ceiling than Ishii due to his popularity in DG, age, and "better look," but who knows. I could see Shingo winning the IC title within the next year and who knows from there. I doubt he'll ever win the IWGP heavyweight but he should get a sniff or two.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Yano kept both the DVD and the cash because he's a jerk. I hope Moxley eats him alive with all his dumb upbeat shenanigans.

I have a big silly grin on my face just imaging all the wacky hijinks to come out of this tomorrow. Yano pinning two former IWGP champions AND a former WWE champion in as many weeks would be the cherry on his ridiculous sundae of a G1.

• Like 2

He hit a nice version of it against Shingo. No theatrics or anything but Shingo shoved him off and he hit the bottom or middle rope and came back with a lariat to a seated Takagi.

• Like 1

He hit it one other time against someone where he rebounded off the ropes, faked like he was gonna walk away and then nailed the clothesline.  Damned if I could remember who it was against though but it looked great.

I'm talking full on, heels over head WWE version of the movie for the Yano match. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

EA1GujyUwAAhXvZ.jpg:large

Bring 5000 Yen!

Here is the official star rating for the match: ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************3/4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is the only match so far my wife asked that I watch with her.  Otherwise I'd just catch it now since it's a slow work day.  But man am I looking forward to watching it.

While I have been caught up with everything up 'til yesterday's show it's starting to dawn on me how there's so many matches.  The early ones feel like ages ago and while a lot of them were memorable I find a need to re-watch certain ones once everything's done.  But while I'm not fully caught up yet I would like to see Moxley and KENTA in the finals.  I know KENTA has lost a couple but don't believe he's super far behind and the idea of them mixing up their styles sounds very intriguing.  It would also be a tale of two ex-WWE wrestlers who were so dissatisfied with how things were they set out to blaze their own trail in New Japan.  Now if some don't feel it's worthy of a finals match then I at least hope they have a match somehow anyway.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

This was fun show in a literal sense since I feel like 3 of the matches had some comedy to them, obviously Juice/Naito and Taichi/White had less of it than Yano/Moxley, but I still found myself laughing thru them.

Surprising thing to me was that Fukuoka crowd had pretty good reaction to Moxley. I remember The Elite and even Jericho struggling to get anything out of them, but Mox did great I thought. Like, it wasn't amazing or anything like that, but miles better when it was dead-dead during The Elite matches/segments. Omega had to almost murder Hangman for them to start reacting, while Yano and Mox had them with simple tricks.

54 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Here is the official star rating for the match: ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************3/4

Just couldn't go the full 244 stars, could you? Jerk!

• Haha 1

I’m not searching these opinions out, but I’m gonna guess there’s a sizable contingent of Mox fans who followed him from WWE and aren’t as familiar with NJPW booking who are LIVID at that Yano result.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m not searching these opinions out, but I’m gonna guess there’s a sizable contingent of Mox fans who followed him from WWE and aren’t as familiar with NJPW booking who are LIVID at that Yano result.

Oh jeez- who's the crazy Mox/Ambrose chick (I know- chick, singular) on Tumblr? She may start cutting herself.

I especially love Rocky on color rooting AGAINST his stablemate Yano because a Mox win would've eliminated Jay White from contention.

• Like 1

Oh no, not traditional NJPW booking of Yano like they've done for the past like ten of these G-1s. However will Mox recover? He's totally a jobber now in the eyes of the New Japan native fans. His career is over!

27 minutes ago, EVA said:

I'm a fan of Moxley and have become a bigger fan when he left WWE.  But Yano is one of my favorite acts and while I haven't seen it I'm beyond thrilled that he got a win over him.  And fuck it, I'd give him a title shot in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm a fan of Moxley and have become a bigger fan when he left WWE.  But Yano is one of my favorite acts and while I haven't seen it I'm beyond thrilled that he got a win over him.  And fuck it, I'd give him a title shot in a heartbeat.

I give you the pencil!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Losing to Mox doesn't diminish Shingo or Naito and gives them a reason to want revenge, winning or losing for Mox or Yano means absolutely nothing in their match, so it doesn't really matter.

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I give you the pencil!

He only gave you the pencil, not the book! You'll have to write on unsold photos of Captain New Japan they have stacked up in the office.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Fuck 'em.

• Like 4