DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

one tiny bit of Cornette's timeline was off on Gordy but that'll happen

Gordy worked Night of the Legends in August 1994 vs DWB, and then came back in June 1995 for the stint that Cornette was describing. In fact Gordy was working Smoky when he went to Japan for the IWA tour where he worked Cactus.

Gordy working a July 1994 AJPW tour and never coming back there is probably one of those things that we know why it happened and it's for the best that they don't directly tell us the obvious reason.

Then again, they sorta jumped around from the 1998 RF to 1996 WWF. I don't know if they covered 1996 ECW before or after that.

There's also a Hardy Boyz vs Michael Hayes/Terry Gordy indy match from Tulsa in January 2000 that was probably pretty sad. Hayes with the Hardyz was always a weird dynamic.

Oh good lord, a Jimmy Snuka vs Terry Gordy match from Garden City, Kansas in November 1998 must have been an all-timer for two guys who looked zombified. Who was the person who booked Hector Guerrero/Honky Tonk Man to main event his show in Garden City and how much money did he lose. The next night they booked Hector Guerrero/Jimmy Snuka vs Gordy/HTM. Wrestling was red hot if they actually got 1500 people for that card. Even if there's not exactly a lot of competition in the middle of nowhere Kansas.

• Like 1

You can have your Misawa matches.  You can have your Freebirds matches.  You can have his Mid South matches.   Give me video of Terry fucking Gordy in his prime with Richard Simmons  😂

Hearing the story from Mick Foley about Terry doing an autograph signing and only 2 or 3 people did it makes me seriously wonder what kind of fans or event was this that nobody was interested.   I mean was he charging too much or was the crowd just that young they didn't know any better.  I mean I have done that as well many times but I would hope not with someone on a Terry Gordy level.   

Edited by hammerva

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

So whats the story with the July 94 AJPW tour?

I don’t think there’s a rumored story but more of a “read between the lines” sort of story.

His first match of the tour is July 16th, his final match is July 28th. He doesn’t work a single singles match. Working tags with Dr. Death, Richard Slinger, and a few shots with The Eagle and Kurt Beyer. After that, he never works All-Japan again.

So it feels like they took a look without putting him in singles matches, and decided that it wasn’t gonna work with the talent they had then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

have any WWE employees shown up on DSOTR? is it possible that they would show up on Tales From The Territories because of the Rock but not on Dark Side?

although there were no shortage of family members, plus Jimmy Garvin

On 3/13/2024 at 1:03 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The part about Bagwell's dad handing out coke to Marc and his friends made me jealous for a second. I understand his line of thinking, they're going to do it anyway, might as well get from dad than some shady dealer on the streets. 

A story I've heard so many variations of in the rooms. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wonder why Hayes wasn't on this one, when he had no problem being on two of the Territories episodes prior. Talking about it too hard for him?

He mentioned watching it on twitter earlier:

"So, I just got to watch the Terry Dark Side of the ring episode, I was happy and glad to see how accurate it was…except, I NEVER knew that WWF/WWE ever hired Terry, much less to be the Executioner, I was as surprised as anyone, I had nothing to do with that???"
  • Like 1

Now this is interesting. 

1. We still don't know why he didn't do the episode, because there's no way he wasn't approached. 

2. How you could sneak Terry past Dok Hendrix in the back and in the front is beyond me. He had to have been on as much narcotics as Terry for that to happen.

• Like 3

Just saw the latest episode while working at home.

Suffice to say, the Dark Side/Vice folks intentionally put the episodes the way they did so they can work their way into the more depressing shit.

I brought this up before, but in 1995-97, the WWF was hiring A LOT of people who needed the work and the WWF braintrust being made up of basically all ex territory guys brought in a bunch of guys who were good hands as well. If that was 1998, they were not hiring brain fried Terry Gordy. However, then, that roster was lacking in depth to say the least and you could easily slide guys in. So of course, Terry being available and being so respected, they thought "well...shit, it can't be that bad." Then, it was. 

Terry Gordy’s WWF stint was at the end of 1996. It might have seemed later from the documentary since they aired the RF Shoot from 98 first.

In the scheme of things, it would have made more sense for a guy named Doctor Death to try feuding with the Undertaker as a monster of the month, but I’m guessing that’s not what JR would have wanted to do with Steve Williams even if Doc was in ECW around the end of 96.

Is Gordy the guy Foley mentioned in his first autobiography, where he said they'd hired an unnamed legend who was totally washed up, and he asked Funk why, and Funk told him that it was just Vince being nice, or something?

35 minutes ago, jm29195 said:

Is Gordy the guy Foley mentioned in his first autobiography, where he said they'd hired an unnamed legend who was totally washed up, and he asked Funk why, and Funk told him that it was just Vince being nice, or something?

I don't think that Terry Funk's early 1997 WWF cameo overlapped with the Terry Gordy Executioner run. Also, the Mick story about Terry Gordy in IWA was pretty much from his book so switching from noting how Terry was limited to shielding his identity later would have been a surprise

I don't really remember that part of the book though or if it would have happened in 97 or 98

A bit that always struck me as poignant from Foley's book was an anecdote from just before he and Gordy went out for their Kawasaki Dream match, when Gordy said something to the effect of 'please don't let me look bad out there', essentially acknowledging that he was painfully cognisant of his own deterioration from his pre-overdose abilities.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

A bit that always struck me as poignant from Foley's book was an anecdote from just before he and Gordy went out for their Kawasaki Dream match, when Gordy said something to the effect of 'please don't let me look bad out there', essentially acknowledging that he was painfully cognisant of his own deterioration from his pre-overdose abilities.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

"Just help me out there, bro." 😞 He also said "They didn't tell me nothin' about no thumbtacks."

Yeah, I still remember that. Such a sad admission.

This morning, I saw a post on Instagram with clips from a British Bulldogs/Gordy and Hanson match. It struck me just how great EVERYTHING Gordy did looked. There's a simple vertical suplex in there that just looks beautiful. I think Gordy is up there with Steamboat and Dustin and Barry Windham as far as guys who just seem like they were born to move around a wrestling ring.

• Like 3