DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

On 8/9/2023 at 11:22 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Brutus saying Shawn was up Vince's ass sounded like he meant it rather literally, heh heh. And god aren't Bruti and his wife a nasty pair. I imagine them being regulars at swingers conventions and only hooking up with people who remember him from WWF that look just as beat up and gross. 

DID YA SEE THEM RUN FROM THE BOOTY MAN BROTHER?

Lotta rough looking people in this one.

Either Marty either did kill that guy and has been dealing with up processed trauma his whole life or deep down he just likes being the cneter of attention with his nonsense

May be an image of text

• Haha 3

I remember when somebody posted the picture I did above here the first time, someone made the joke that Valentine was Beefcake's middle-aged wife. 

EDIT: Pat Tanaka didn't look super-rough but he SOUNDED super-rough.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2023 at 6:26 AM, hammerva said:

Just playing conspiracy theorist here but do you think the reason why they did the Barber Shop angle on the breakup with the Rockers happened because someone (probably Shawn) knew that before that Shawn threw Marty through a window in a shoot drunken fight and then got his ass kicked.

The video of Marty in India driving a police motorcycle into a damn hotel and hitting people is just insane.  Like there is no way you can do that now without spending years in jail no matter the company or the star.   Also this is clearly the new worst thing he ever did near a hotel waterfall.  

I REALLY want to know who yelled "High spot!" when Jannetty crashes into those guys with the bike and knocks one into the fountain.

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got through these and man, Marty Jannetty is exhausting, isn't he? 

Bash at the Beach 2000 and Magnum TA's stories weren't really grimy enough for this show. BatB is a happy story - no Hogan anymore + Booker T. walked out as champ. 

Though I did get a kick out of Vince Russo being the most likely to tell the truth on this thing. Without WCW, Eric Bischoff would be selling lemons to gullible car shoppers in a small Minnesota town somewhere. 

Its really too bad Booker never jumped to WWF (he gets the AJ push and Stevie gets Mark Henry's spot in The Nation) or got pushed as a single earlier I always kinda think of Booker, Steiner and Jarrett getting death spriral World Champ Runs similar to Rick Martel and Curt Hening being AWA champs at the very end

8 hours ago, colonial said:

1985 AWA featured its ESPN debut, Pro Wrestling USA shows with Crockett, the Remco action figures ... there was some glimmer of hope at the time, but it was fading fast. 

Glimmer of hope is one way of putting it. I mean WrestleRock 86 did reasonably well. However, it is part of the last stand cause 1986 is the last year where you can say a lot of territories are searching for answers but still have a pulse. Mid Atlantic had a really good year. Memphis had its last strong year and their last sellout at the Mid South Coliseum IIRC. Continental and World Class are still hanging in there even if business has fell considerably. Mid South becoming UWF was not exactly a business saver but in terms of actual content, it was very intriguing. Stampede had a lot of great talent. Portland is still around. So is Florida. Puerto Rico is still thriving.

It's just that what the hell were you going to do against Vince and the WWF when the balance of power had shifted so far in his favor? Verne could have went to youth earlier, but only another Hulk Hogan (and competent booking to go along with it) would have staved off extinction.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread after a month, but I figured this was probably more relevant here given the subject matter.

So in my 1994 rewatch, I recently watched the Raw episode from 10/3/1994. It's not a particularly memorable episode other than WWF is really pissy and bitter about the new Fox NFL pregame show absolutely smashing WWF syndicated weekend shows and getting them canceled/moved in several major markets. So you get an awful parody that I don't think anyone remembers. Anyway, on this episode, there is a tag team "match" (I use match only cause to their credit Madusa/Alundra and Bull tried their best to keep it together at the end) between Alundra Blayze and Heidi Lee Morgan against Luna and Bull Nakano. For those who weren't following along at the time, here is a good little footnote from a show recap:

This was Luna’s final televised match during this run as she would get married in a few weeks then fired soon afterwards. According to Luna herself in a shoot interview she did with her husband Gangrel for RF Video, the company sent her to rehab for alcohol abuse and she was fired while there. Luna said she did not try to sue the company as she did not want to jeopardize any chances of her returning.

This footnote is important cause watching this match, it appears that Luna is absolutely fucked up. She is either really, really, really hung over or she is under the influence. Either way, she is in no shape to perform. Moreover, it appears that they edited a good chunk out of the match specifically when she is in there with Heidi Lee Morgan. Morgan has the excuse of being a part timer at best for WWF. Luna had been there for about eighteen months at this point. Not being used a lot in the ring, but still worked fairly enough to where she should not be looking this awful in the ring. Everything she did looked slow and sloppy to the point where Vince on commentary says of a terrible looking clothesline Luna delivers, "...a clothesline of sorts...". She also looks tentative and lost throughout. 

I wonder if there was a debate to even air this match being a taped show cause it's bowling shoe ugly and something that we wouldn't see again with the women until the early 2000s. And again, those women have the excuse of not being trained wrestlers outside folks like Ivory and Lita. Even Terri Poch/Tori, who worked a fair amount in Japan, came from the bodybuilding and fitness world. The only saving grace is Alundra Blayze and Bull did some great work for 90 seconds or so of the match before Alundra german suplexes Luna for the finish. I am guessing those two probably stared at each other from across the ring while they were on the apron, saw what was happening in the ring, saw the women's division probably going down the crapper, and wanted to save it in the little time they had together.

Anyway, people talk about Sting vs. Jeff Hardy, but this wasn't much better in terms of lack of professionalism from the offending party. I know Luna at some point was either suspended or hurt a few months before this incident and taken off the road. I wonder if that is when her demons really started. For her to go to rehab and then get let go, it must have been her not wanting to go being in denial or drugs and alcohol really got ahold of her and WWF probably decided it was best to go separate ways. 

It would have been nice to have this bit of context by using footage from this match on her Dark Side episode.

• Like 6

Can't wait to get to 1999 WCW and see a strung out Evan Karagias wrestle with not only Madusa, but also with the ravages of a ketamine binge, on a random Thunder.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Coincidentally there was a Madusa/Sherri match from 1996 where IIRC Sherri was not in a great condition to perform and then she got dropped hard on a German Suplex

I dunno if Sherri forgot the move was coming or simply wasn't ready to go but it looked like a shoot German suplex. 

But yeah, Sherri stop looking herself by the time Bischoff gets rid of her in 1997.

Ironically, Sherri and Madusa were suppose to work with each other in ECW in 1993 right after Sherri was gone from WWF and Madusa was gone from WCW and right before she came Alundra Blayze. They did a very proto Russo era angle where they get into at Arezzi's fan convention where an semi out of character Sherri Martel surprisingly cuts a good promo on Madusa, who just intimates that Sherri fucked Greg Valentine (apparently standing off in distance) to get into the business only for Sherri to confirm it (lol). Then, they went to other companies the other one just left.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If it's anything like his matches, fucking Greg Valentine must be so tedious.  (insert Monsoon quote about Greg not even getting warmed up until 20 minutes in)

Well, they call him "The Hammer" for a reason.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I don't think it's surprising that Sherri cut a good promo. I think she's a pretty skilled talker.

I am saying it is surprising cause she isn't in character basically. That and sitting down at a fan convention is not exactly an ideal setting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If it's anything like his matches, fucking Greg Valentine must be so tedious.  (insert Monsoon quote about Greg not even getting warmed up until 20 minutes in)

if Garvin/Valentine is any indicator, you don't wanna know the foreplay that the Hammer enjoys

• Haha 2