DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

On 9/19/2018 at 5:48 AM, Belgian_Waffle said:

There was a great section of the old shoot tape George Hines did for Highspots where he describes working with True and says something like "I would never try a spot with Taue. He wanted to go in there, give you his backdrop, give you his big boot, give you his choke slam. Maybe take one bump. Then go back to the locker room and smoke a lot of cigarettes." 

Sometimes I think Taue must be one of the most self aware wrestlers of all time. He knew how to stay special: take it easy for the tour, work like hell in the big title matches/tournament finals. 

The Puro Kevin Nash </flameon>

heard we were praising the genius of Akira Taue and ran here as fast as I could.

his attitude was totally understandable and it's not like he didn't have his share of utterly great tear-ups. guy that big is a spectacle to behold, and as well he just shouldn't be moving as hard as a Misawa. Kawada & Taue were in so many respects the perfect tag team, just the gold standard esp. for Japan.

i like Nash more as the years go by. he had an X factor. he's an interesting mind on him. just wish he had like 6/7 more really good matches.

Zeus  watched old AJPW (80s, Tenryu etc) matches. Zeus said he wants to do Showa era moves, one hand backbreaker, bearhug, scorpion death lock. To destroy Kento's back.

But if he doesn't.. whatever.

Noah news. Sugi retained.

Global League 2018 (30.10. - 25.11.2018: 

Block A: 
- Naomichi Marufuji 
- Akitoshi Saito 
- Quiet Storm 
- Katsuhiko Nakajima 
- Kenou 
- Masa Kitamiya 
- Mitsuya Nagai  
- Kohei Sato  

Block B: 
- Takashi Sugiura 
- Mohammed Yone 
- Go Shiozaki 
- Atsushi Kotoge 
- Kaito Kiyomiya 
- Maybach Taniguchi 
- Cody Hall 
- Kazusada Higuchi  

Based on everyone Sugiura's beaten already and who could conceivably win that thing, my money's on Sato. Anyone else would just be a rematch or a shocking result. Cody Hall is not winning.

They need R3K for the Jr tag thing, why break them up to form another team. They have too much merch to break them up already. Maybe it's Rocky Romero!

Real World Tag League 2018 (13.11.2018 - 11.12.2018): 
- Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (Sieger 2017, AJPW World Tag Team Champions) 
- Jun Akiyama & Daisuke Sekimoto  
- Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu 
- Zeus & The Bodyguard 
- Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi (All Asia Tag Team Champions) 
- Takao Omori & Manabu Soya  (Sieger 2016) 
- Jake Lee & Ryouji Sai 
- Joe Doering & Dylan James 
- TAJIRI & Gianni Valletta 
- Kengo Mashimo  & KAI 
- Parrow & Odison

On 10/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, Oyaji said:

Has Cody Hall progressed at all or is he still a lanky, lumbering oaf? 

I wouldn't even call him that. A lumbering oaf would be more coordinated than Hall is. Watching Hall work is like what I imagine a 7 foot tall 9 year old trying to wrestle would look like. 

• Haha 2

Some NJPW guys have been paying visit to Ireland's OTT promotion recently. NJPW World now has uploaded Ishii vs Cobb and Ishii vs Juice from their events.

And this weekend they'll have Kushida vs Ishii and some other matches involving NJPW talent. So, maybe those will find their way on NJPW World after some time as well.

Maybe next year we'll get Strong Style Evolved: Ireland?

Meltzer wrote in the latest WO that NJ talent is unhappy with new management and wrestlers who previously weren't thinking about leaving are now having to give it serious consideration. Seeming as his sources are pretty well exclusively foreigners, we can assume he's talking about Omega and company. Big Dave suggests it's a combination of contract talks not going well and this Craven guy who Meij brought in as the head of talent relations is talking down to wrestlers and saying stuff he shouldn't about an industry he doesn't understand. Meltzer made the comparison to '89 WCW with Herd at the helm fucking things up and a great product starting to get spoiled. 

Awesome. Great. 

Hope this is another case of "Timebomb is Suzuki" and "Shibata's injury is a work".

Thou one has to wonder what exactly Dave means by product being spoiled. For my tastes it started getting spoiled since Dominion. Does it mean that things will get even worse with more DRAMA and less SPORTS? Or that it is going to revert more to how it was in 2016-2017?

If we assume Meltzer's sources are primarily or exclusively The Elite--and I think we probably should--it could just be that they aren't being uniquely catered to as they feel they ought; it could be that they mostly wanted to leave anyway, and this provides easy cover fire to avoid fan backlash (we were loyal up until they weren't!); it could be that the new regime wants to focus more broadly on the New Japan brand in the United States, and less on Bullet club specifically; and of course it could be that the new regime are making bad decisions and are bound to ruin the company's trajectory.

I really don't feel confident making a guess, but I don't think we can say it's necessarily awful news yet.

16 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Hope this is another case of "Timebomb is Suzuki" and "Shibata's injury is a work".

Thou one has to wonder what exactly Dave means by product being spoiled. For my tastes it started getting spoiled since Dominion. Does it mean that things will get even worse with more DRAMA and less SPORTS? Or that it is going to revert more to how it was in 2016-2017?

I guess spoiled wasn't the right word, more like the advances that should be made on the back of such a strong in-ring product aren't. I'm not a fan of the block quotes of paid content, but that's what I got from Dave's short blurb on it and his few minutes covering it on WOR.

57 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

If we assume Meltzer's sources are primarily or exclusively The Elite--and I think we probably should--it could just be that they aren't being uniquely catered to as they feel they ought; it could be that they mostly wanted to leave anyway, and this provides easy cover fire to avoid fan backlash (we were loyal up until they weren't!); it could be that the new regime wants to focus more broadly on the New Japan brand in the United States, and less on Bullet club specifically; and of course it could be that the new regime are making bad decisions and are bound to ruin the company's trajectory.

I really don't feel confident making a guess, but I don't think we can say it's necessarily awful news yet.

I’m pretty sold on this conspiracy theory going around that the Elite are feeding Meltzer a bogus story so they can go to WWE and get away without massive fan backlash.

Very weird to see considering the Gaijins are the ones being catered to now. Also leave one soon to be overly micro managed fed for another aka WWE? They did try to work fans last time when Harold reportedly "tried" to change the tone.

Assuming this is real, Natives not happy would more likely to leave and start a new fed rather than go to lower paid Feds where they might not even be in the top slot.

Just now, D.Z said:

Very weird to see considering the Gaijins are the ones being catered to now. Also leave one soon to be overly micro managed fed for another aka WWE?

Presumably the reason why many chose NJPW over WWE is because of the fun environment. It was personal enjoyment vs. money. Now that the personal enjoyment doesn’t exist, you may as well go to the one that will pay you more money.

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they left before then I'd make sure and go because you know NJPW is going to go out of their way to try and make up for that. It'd be a historical show, one way or another.

That's true. You raise a good point.