DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

I need to figure out who is this Tiger Mask.

Anyway for current AJPW and BJW,  try Yoku and Rutube. Or Japanese YouTube, of course it won't be under AJPW on YouTube. Watch Zeus and Kento singles, or whole shows.

Can't fucking wait. I do think it'll be hard to find a better opponent for Taichi than Naito though. They are perfect foils for each other. Okada maybe? They've only met once (ten years ago) and Taichi won in under 10 minutes. Time to get his win back, brother.

Could just do a match against Evil/Sanada/Shingo, would they click as well with Taichi as Naito did? Who knows, but it might be enough to sell out Korakuen. Besides, LiJ have been involved in last couple of their shows so it probably would be fitting if it was another LiJ guy against Taichi.

But sure, Okada getting his win back would work as well.

I like Callis, but I'm a touch concerned his attacking Omega will probably bleed over, and I just don't need to see the IWGP champ feuding with an announcer. (I know, I know complaining about the "sports entertainment-ization" of New Japan is a really common talking point, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.)

• Like 1

Question going back to the FMW/IWA/W*ING days... I know when the character first debuted in W*ING, Crypt Keeper was played by Jose Estrada Jr. Did he keep doing it even in IWA and FMW, or had other people taken it over by then? Same question for whenever Freddy would pop up on an IWA or FMW show after Doug Gilbert burned his bridges with W*ING

Have you never heard the story of Doug and Eddie Gilbert quitting W*ING during a match? It's online in video I imagine, but basically both were working monster gimmicks (Doug was Freddy and Eddie was Boogie Man/Michael Myers). They were on opposite sides of a tag match, and real quickly one pinned the other. They then took off their masks and cut a shoot promo trashing the promoters, etc. Much to the confusion of the japanese fans I imagine. 

• Haha 1

Do you guys think NJPW should go back to the Yokohama Arena? I know they did in 2014 and it flopped massively only drawing 7,500 in a 17,000 seat arena but they are exponentially more popular now than they were then. I think a big show there could definitely sell out. They already have sold out Osaka-Jo Hall and Budokan Hall with ease. May as well give it another shot, right?

They still wouldn't sell it out or fill it completely without more papering. 12000 sold or 13000 probably. Plus the buildings costs and lack of profits probably wouldn't be up to consideration. NJPW would need new better time slot to start matching the attendances of the 90's for bigger buildings. Which isn't likely to happen unless the national network they're on sees them fully sell out the dome.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

They still wouldn't sell it out or fill it completely without more papering. 12000 sold or 13000 probably. Plus the buildings costs and lack of profits probably wouldn't be up to consideration. NJPW would need new better time slot to start matching the attendances of the 90's for bigger buildings. Which isn't likely to happen unless the national network they're on sees them fully sell out the dome.

They sold out Osaka-Jo Hall and Budokan Hall immediately this year and they aren’t that much smaller. I really think if they held a show like Dominion or G1 Finals at Yokohama, it would sell out. Unless Yokohama is a bad wrestling market?