DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think the La Llorna film (Crying Woman) is supposed to be pretty good fwiw

I have not seen it, but here's a review a friend of mine wrote of it a few years ago when he did a project watching ever single La Llorna film he could find.

http://jiffypopculture.blogspot.com/2019/02/tears-for-fears-tears-in-witch-house.html?m=1

• Like 1

Went to ye old video store on Saturday and picked up the Arrow release of 2000 Maniacs, Vinegar Sydrome's Evil Laugh and Mutant Hunt, and the American Genre Film Archive release of the GLOW documentary, which includes a bunch of skits and matches.

Already had Mutant Hunt on DVD, but it is a Full Moon release and all their transfers are shit, I'll probably just gift it off to someone now that I have the bluray.

I'd never seen either 2000 Maniacs or Evil Laugh. 2000 Maniacs was a hoot, while I knew it was gory, it was way more gory than I was expecting from a 1964 movie. The first murder was especially uncomfortable and I actually had to stop it for awhile and come back to it. After that I really dug it, was not expecting the supernatural ending.

Evil Laugh was less fun than I was hoping for. Takes way too long to get going, most of the movie occurs in the last 30 minutes. But I enjoyed how meta it was, that slashers had enough tropes that movies were already making fun of them in 1986. Didn't care for the killer reveal, but the last little twist right before the credits was great.

There is a Coffin Joe Box Set coming from Arrow on 11/28/23.

MSRP is $140

Films include:

D1 - At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul

D2 - This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse/The Strange World of Coffin Joe

D3 - The Awakening of the Beast/The End of Man

D4 - When The Gods Fall Asleep/The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures

D5 - Hellish Flesh/Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind

D6 - Embodiment of Evil

Not pumped about the doubling up of titles on one disc, but at this point anything is an improvement over what's currently available.

• Thanks 1

Okay, so this showed up in my FB feed even though I don't subscribe to the channel (The Disc-Connected): 

***ANNOUNCEMENT***

Coming soon on #4K from @severinfilms: #CemeteryMan (1994)!

According to #SeverinFilms at their Super Shock Pop-Up event tonight, they were able to wrestle away the rights, but they are still working on the restoration.

They also played trailers for #ClosedCircuit, #TheSpiderLabyrinth (1988), #TheDevilsExorcist (1975), #CountDracula (1970), and #Exorcismo (2023)- a new Severin documentary on 70s Spanish horror.

They teased a release of #Stir (1980) and revealed that #ChallengeOfTheTiger (1980) is a part of the #ManyClonesOfBruce box set.

• Like 1