DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

That's OK. It reminds me of a better story.

There was a gas station in GA that used to sell gallons of milk, buy one get one.  But the signage was a little hard to read - I didn't immediately grok that the numbers were red and the letters were black, so from a distance, "B1G1F" looked a lot like "BIGIF".  "Oof, I don't know, man, gallons of milk?  At this store?  That's a big if.  Maybe!  Maybe...but, uh, don't go counting on that..."  Eventually I figured it out.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Sigh. Another month and still no Z upgrade.

THE CONFESSION also remains OOP. Costa-Gavras, like Bertrand Tavernier, is a major director who has not been well-served on bluray.

Edited by Control

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Liam said:

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/criterion-offers

I only own 12 Angry Men out of any of these.

What do people recommend as some of the best options here? (I know some of the actual price drops are quite small, but ah well).

What are you in to? Here's a handful.

Le Samourai - Alain Delon as a contract killer. Jean Pierre Melville was in the middle of an absolutely incredible directorial run.  Pretty good price point.

In a Lonely Place - Great great noir film. Humphrey Bogart is nasty. Great Gloria Grahame performance. And of course Nicholas Ray just crushing it. Again, good price point.

Tampopo - This one doesn't get a lot of heat today, but this is a great Japanese comedy about food. Really should be seen by more, and I recommend it all the time.

A Face in The Crowd - Slimey Andy Griffith gets pulled out of prison and turned into a superstar. This one gets pointed at a lot because of certain political figures. Great great movie about manufacturing a cult of personality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

What are you in to? Here's a handful.

Le Samourai - Alain Delon as a contract killer. Jean Pierre Melville was in the middle of an absolutely incredible directorial run.  Pretty good price point.

In a Lonely Place - Great great noir film. Humphrey Bogart is nasty. Great Gloria Grahame performance. And of course Nicholas Ray just crushing it. Again, good price point.

Tampopo - This one doesn't get a lot of heat today, but this is a great Japanese comedy about food. Really should be seen by more, and I recommend it all the time.

A Face in The Crowd - Slimey Andy Griffith gets pulled out of prison and turned into a superstar. This one gets pointed at a lot because of certain political figures. Great great movie about manufacturing a cult of personality.

I'm open to most things tbf. I was initially going to pick some of the stuff up from the Sight and Sound top 100.

Trying to think of the films I've watched so far this year - 'The Earrings of Madame de...' was one; I tend to like an international film or two and am trying to check out some more classic options.

I like Wes Anderson, but that can largely be ignored as I probably wouldn't buy them.

13 hours ago, Liam said:

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/criterion-offers

I only own 12 Angry Men out of any of these.

What do people recommend as some of the best options here? (I know some of the actual price drops are quite small, but ah well).

Things that immediately grab my eye are The Godzilla Showa era box, Tree of Life, and The Essential Jacques Demy.

I didn't see it in the sale, but the Bergman box is the best thing in my collection.

Need help.  I got a $100 Amazon gift card from family to help with some post-surgical recovery.  They insisted I use it for entertainments only.

Do I ...

1) Buy a bunch of inexpensive films;

2) buy a few higher prices releases or collections;

3) hang on until a sale begins that Amazon will match (like the B&N Arrow/Criterion sale)? 

I'd go with Option 3, unless you had a pile of things to pick off.  I'm at the stage of "nothing but Criterions or rarities left to buy".  I think the only "normal" movies I still want to pick up at some point and just haven't are Drive and Midsommar.  Maybe Unforgiven.

Well, scratch that: Midsommar was $5 and I had more than enough points to cover it.

• Thanks 1

There are about 18 different threads this could fit itself into, but since Tampopo was mentioned (and will now be my next Criterion buy whenever that is), here are the Daniels doing a Criterion closet walk and their picks are exactly what you expect out of them. 

• Like 1