DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

5 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I've become something of an obsessive collector of physical media versions of the orignal Friday the 13th films (ie before New Line got the rights to Jason). In the last couple of weeks I've managed to snag the steelbook blu-ray collection of the whole series and the original Friday the 13th on 4K. And now I've snagged the classic "From Cystal Lake to Manhatten" DVD collection, which I only got for the alternate cover art. I've already promised my wife that the only other purchase I plan on making (see? I'm giving myself an out!) will be a 4K of the sequel, should it ever come to pass. 

I suspect we'll eventually get the first 4 all on 4K, because they did 4K scans of all of them for the Scream Factory box a couple years ago. (Which, FWIW, is an incredible set and significantly better than the metal box version...)

When the first three films got their own steelbook blu-ray releases to coincide with their 40th Anniversary, with the updated 4K scan, I assumed they'd do that for every film that Paramount owns. But then they rushed out a Final Chapter Steelbook without the Anniversary gimmick. So now I'm not so sure. I don't see them depriving the fanbase of a Jason Lives 4K or steelbook. But, I can see why they wouldn't want to go through the trouble and costs of getting new scans, when none of them are exactly anyone's favorite.

15 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

When the first three films got their own steelbook blu-ray releases to coincide with their 40th Anniversary, with the updated 4K scan, I assumed they'd do that for every film that Paramount owns. But then they rushed out a Final Chapter Steelbook without the Anniversary gimmick. So now I'm not so sure. I don't see them depriving the fanbase of a Jason Lives 4K or steelbook. But, I can see why they wouldn't want to go through the trouble and costs of getting new scans, when none of them are exactly anyone's favorite.

I don't think they currently have a 4K scan of anything past 4. At the very least, 5-8 didn't have new scans in the Scream Box (The first two New Line movies both had new 2K scans iirc, but that's not really here or there.)

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that the majority of Criterion's recent release strategy is to simply reissue previous releases on UHD.  However, I also plan to get Freaks for the upgrade but to the greater extent for the work out in by David J Skal, horror film historian and an amazing dude acc to social media.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:31 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Man, Freaks is a TRIP so if you haven't seen it... beware. 

I really want to know what the other two movies are like. Never even heard of em. 

The Unknown is absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 10:31 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Man, Freaks is a TRIP so if you haven't seen it... beware. 

I really want to know what the other two movies are like. Never even heard of em. 

The Unknown is a must own for Lon Chaney collectors. 

It will mess you up. It's a heavy story. 

Edited by Travis Sheldon
Auto correct made me look dumb (er). I don't need the help.
  • Like 1

There’s a 4K steelbook of Friday the 13th coming out this October. I’m taking a pass on it, since the only thing that’s different from the 4K that I already own is the artwork on the slipcover. Granted, it’s sick artwork and if it was the actual coverart I’d snag it in a heartbeat.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw some story The Mouse is going to stop making physical media like DVDs and Bku Rays. 

Yeah, I saw that too.  Apparently it will start with overseas countries.  The article I read was very "doom and gloom" w/r/t this practice happening in the States.  I kind of doubt DVD/Blus will be entirely phased out, even if Disney does make this move.  There are still a lot of movie companies & studios out there, and, honestly, I think such a practice would likely contribute to the bursting of the streaming bubble.

The article I read:

https://www.disneydining.com/disney-saying-goodbye-dvds-and-blu-rays-sw1/?fbclid=IwAR3uFKRYsayuCcoBAz4yIJhpEVVFf1n9RsYhTGwQbnZ65OTqSNNIE6gcTmo

Edited by nate

I've only seen Mod Fuck Explosion, but it fucking ruled. It was literally all I thought about for a solid week after seeing it. Very easy buy for me, even just for the remastered version of MFE

E: I'm really interested in Terminal USA, because it was aired on PBS after he won a grant from them to make it

Edited by elizium