DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

They a) used Bryan to heat up Orton for the title unification in December, b) wanted to transfer the Yes chants onto Big Show to heat up Hunter and c) wanted to use Bryan to heat up Bray for Cena. Bryan had to get Vince's number after his injury because he didn't have it. It wasn't the plan.

Anyone who thinks that Bryan winning at Mania was the plan as early as Summerslam or even the Rumble is extraordinarily wrong. Wildly wrong. They couldn't be wronger. 

I don't think he was intended for the title match. But I think him vs HHH was a long term plan and maybe Orton/Batista for the title, that way you have two marquee matches. Then fans turned on Batista so brutally you merge plans. 

Now you might say "What about Punk?' and there is not a good answer to that. I would say they had to know they were on bad terms with Punk. I can believe Kana vs Bryan could have been at Mania to build to a HHH match later, but vs Sheamus just sounds ridiculous. 

Show was clearly a pawn in the bigger story to keep Bryan/Orton fresh. The Yes chants were used to give Show some heat to do one PPV until they could shift to the unifications. 

Last year WWE refused to push a 6ft10 300 pound ripped giant as a face in spite of big fan support. But they changed their mind for Bryan Danielson? I mean we know how this company does business. 

3 hours ago, Zartan said:

Similarly Bautista blamed the failure of this run on wrestling fans all being comic book nerds and now he’s been such a big comic book nerd his whole life he couldn’t bring himself to read the infinity wars script. 

Coolest poser ever and I mean that. 

A true comic book nerd would know comic book nerds HATE other comic book nerds. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Victator said:

A true comic book nerd would know comic book nerds HATE other comic book nerds. 

I don't know comic books, but I know true wrestling fans know wrestling fans hate other wrestling fans; especially indy fans hating WWE only fans, which I'm somewhat guilty of. I admit it.

32 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't think he was intended for the title match. But I think him vs HHH was a long term plan and maybe Orton/Batista for the title, that way you have two marquee matches. Then fans turned on Batista so brutally you merge plans. 

Now you might say "What about Punk?' and there is not a good answer to that. I would say they had to know they were on bad terms with Punk. I can believe Kana vs Bryan could have been at Mania to build to a HHH match later, but vs Sheamus just sounds ridiculous. 

Show was clearly a pawn in the bigger story to keep Bryan/Orton fresh. The Yes chants were used to give Show some heat to do one PPV until they could shift to the unifications. 

Last year WWE refused to push a 6ft10 300 pound ripped giant as a face in spite of big fan support. But they changed their mind for Bryan Danielson? I mean we know how this company does business. 

I much more likely believe that they agreed to switch things, in part, to spite Punk than it was the plan all along. Plus, Batista was never the long term plan. Brock > Reigns was. As such it didn't matter if Brock squashed Batista, Reigns, or Bryan at Summerslam. I'm pretty sure Bryan also said that his job in Fall was to heat up Orton and get the fans mad at the Authority. Braun's over but Bryan was a once in a generation phenomenon. I also think that Bryan getting through that door (and basically burning the WWE) made it harder for people to follow him. It ossified Vince.  

It took me a while to find this, but I remember how eye opening this video was back four years ago, especially the kids, which were a demographic you didn't hear about much that year.

• Like 2

Sheamus was a perfectly logical opponent for Bryan if he's being shuffled down the card, even if they wanted to run him against Hunter later. They're doing a line blurring angle where he's being held down in storyline, and maybe reality, and he's booked against the guy he had to drop a title to in five seconds at Wrestlemania two years earlier. They can tease jobbing him out to Sheamus again and then he'd overcome and that would be the Yes Movement's (underwhelming) moment of catharsis for Bryan getting screwed all fall. It would have sucked, but I see why'd they do it. 

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

I wonder what happens if they somehow get wind of how big GOTG was going to be (nobody really knew but humor me.) Batista probably goes over at WM, holds the title until he gets bored or has to do press for the movie, then drops it to Bryan in a multi man match without eating the fall. Then Bryan gets the title for maybe a month before being pulverized by Brock. I believe Vince would totally eat shit from the crowd for months to make that happen. 

I think that was the idea actually. Having him be the champion and bring the belt with him on the GOTG press tour.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Braun's over but Bryan was a once in a generation phenomenon.

I did not want to imply Braun was as over as Bryan. I just think his look gave him a buff that would clear the gap with the office. 

I just can't see WWE changing course the way they did or have a guy beat Orton like a drum, slap Shawn around and not have him in the mix. We all know this, but if you watch wrestling long enough and it is easy to guess where things go. Intuitively there is nothing about Bryan not being in the main event that does not make sense. 

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

They can tease jobbing him out to Sheamus again and then he'd overcome and that would be the Yes Movement's (underwhelming) moment of catharsis for Bryan getting screwed all fall. It would have sucked, but I see why'd they do it. 

I honestly can't even remember what Sheamus was doing at the time. Its not that crazy if I think about it. Since he was still pushed very hard as a singles. 

I think at one point the plan was Bryan/Shawn, but Shawn turned it down. And since they were already locked in on Punk/H and Orton/Batista, it was just a matter of finding a spot for Bryan.

I do think the Rumble reactions to both Cena/Orton and Batista, mixed with Punk walking out, is where the shift started. I'm pretty sure by Elimination Chamber they'd already decided to move Bryan into the match.

Shawn said he didn't think the student/teacher thing was a compelling story, but he just flat out wants to stay retired and has to come up with interesting responses when people ask. He was adamant about letting Bryan get his heat back on him after he cost Bryan the title against Orton. That was a really fun segment. 

Why not put Bryan in the Punk/Hunter match, make it a three way. Or since they had the room, do Punk/Bryan where the winner gets Hunter. 

I wonder what happens if Punk stays and Bryan's head isn't completely fucked. Also what happens with Brock/Roman plans when Vince starts seeing the money rolling in with Bryan on top eventually. 

I think the two biggest losers if Punk and Bryan stay around are Rusev and Rollins. I think it's harder for Rusev to break through since the top of the card and upper midcard are full at the time (Orton/Cena/Shield/Punk/Bryan) which means we may not get the Rusev tank entrance at 31. Rollins is hurt because the Authority would be pointless since Bryan and Punk would have rendered them useless.

Despite how over he always was, I think Punk would've had to turn again fairly soon.

He pushed hard for the turn in 2012 because he knew he was never going to get higher than #2 on the face side but he could be the number one heel. By January 2014, he had to see the writing on the wall that he was about to be 4th on the babyface side, in positioning and push if not popularity. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Despite how over he always was, I think Punk would've had to turn again fairly soon.

He pushed hard for the turn in 2012 because he knew he was never going to get higher than #2 on the face side but he could be the number one heel. By January 2014, he had to see the writing on the wall that he was about to be 4th on the babyface side, in positioning and push if not popularity. 

Nope. He was mega resistant to turning heel due to the amount he was raking in in merch and Vince had to talk him into it and basically said he was desperate. Pretty sure it was covered in the Art of Wrestling podcast

Huh. I thought it was the other way around. But I'm old, the memory goes.

Either way, he would've been down the card quite a bit as a face. Heel he could've worked Roman and ran back his feuds with Cena and Bryan.

The way it came off to me was that Punk turned heel, forgoing all the merch money he was making, because 1) he wanted to work with Rock, and 2) he thought it offered a way into the Mania main event (inserting a heel into the Cena/Rock storyline).

Good morning. Three days ago Danielson has been cleared to return, so I  decided to review every Danielson's matches. He has a lot of great matches, but what are his 5 full star matches, on the level of the various Misawa vs Kawada matches, Misawa vs Tsuruta matches, Kobashi vs Hansen matches? Maybe some of his matches against Nigel or Morishima or KENTA?

Thank you very much

• Like 1

These are mine:

ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death, Death Before Dishonour 2006.

vs. KENTA, ROH Glory By Honour V, Night 2.

vs. Takeshi Morishima, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II.

w/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns, WWE TLC 2012.

vs. John Cena, WWE SummerSlam 2013.

vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista, WWE WrestleMania XXX.

Look, we all love The Dragon of America, but there doesn't need to be multiple threads dedicated strictly to one guy.   I'm moving this to the main DB thread. 

(And the HHH match at Mania 30 is better than the three way later that night.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look, we all love The Dragon of America, but there doesn't need to be multiple threads dedicated strictly to one guy.   I'm moving this to the main DB thread. 

I think the Triple Threat suffered from following the Streak ending. Which reminds me of Homer Simpson trying stand up after the audience heard a puppy was ran over in the parking lot. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

These are mine:

ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death, Death Before Dishonour 2006.

vs. KENTA, ROH Glory By Honour V, Night 2.

vs. Takeshi Morishima, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II.

w/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns, WWE TLC 2012.

vs. John Cena, WWE SummerSlam 2013.

vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista, WWE WrestleMania XXX.

The series with McGuinness?

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In your opinion, are his best matches comparable to the best of Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, Tsuruta, Benoit?