DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Daniel Bryan matches most wanted:

Vs. AJ Styles for the first time in WWE.

Vs. John Cena. The match they had at SummerSlam 2013 is a fucking classic.

Vs. Samoa Joe for the first time in WWE.

Vs. The Miz

Vs. Pete Dunne

Vs. Cesaro

Vs. Rusev

Forgot about Roman Reigns.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

What was the context behind that whole Triple H promo/crowd takeover? I totally forget. What a bizarre period to be following wrestling that was

It's either the crowd taking over because of the Authority's treatment of Bryan or they wouldn't give Bryan a match at WrestleMania to prove them wrong. Can't remember.

EDIT: Misread the question. Below answers are right.

It was a segment promoting Orton and Cena unifying the world titles, a matchup that had been done to death at that point, and so the crowd unsubtly suggested they might prefer someone else. Of course it was Seattle, hence Triple H's jab about Bryan having a lot of relatives at the arena, or something.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

What was the context behind that whole Triple H promo/crowd takeover? I totally forget. What a bizarre period to be following wrestling that was

It was Raw before the PPV when they merged the WWE and World Heavyweight titles - they had all the former champions out in the ring.

Was in Bryan's "hometown" as well 

edit: It was also the night Bryan won the 2013 Slammy award for "Superstar of the Year" 

• Like 1

I found out one minute before leaving work and I came awfully close to losing it.  I always knew he'd wrestle whether WWE cleared him or if he went elsewhere.  The fact that he can work there where they can monitor him is the far better way to go.  I know along with the seizures Bryan mentioned a lesion that was found in his brain and that caused him to retire.  If those are resolved and he's all good then I'm very excited for what happens next.  And as tempted as I am I'm not going to fantasy book since there's a lot of that going around.  But since the poor guy didn't get mentioned much I'd be super hyped for Bryan vs. Nakamura.

Regarding his style, I think back to Total Divas (or was it Bellas?)  He was talking with Sami at the PC and had a style figured out where there really wasn't much risk involved.  It seemed like he was partially joking, but with the excitement he had telling Sami about it if he could make something like that work in the ring then he's set for quite awhile.

• Like 1

He's mentioned really enjoying Zack Sabre's work, I can see him getting good mileage out of the torturous mat-wrestling style, dial up the hard-but-safe strikes and hopefully dial down the dives and recreational self-head drops. Perhaps it's for the best that fate has kept him away from Ibushi

The style he ends up working will probably have a not-so-subtle effect on the overall style the workrate-y guys in the company do anyway, it's be nice of his adjustments led to a general toning down of the diminishing-returns dives/suplexes etc

they obviously have a direction for Mania but I think I'd sort of rather see him on Raw longer term, in terms of matchups. Maybe they give him a Cena deal where he just turns up at Raw/Smackdown/NXT at the start of a month and goes "this month I'm going to wrestle:"

18 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I don't think he should come back, it seems like the risk is too high.

If he does come back, at what cost will it be? Will have have to change his moveset to something safer? And if so, will people complain? I think his legacy stands up as-is.

GM: See, you're thinking like a normal person, not a carny. Brian Danielson is love him or hate him (and I love the guy), carny as fuck. That's his thing, the applause, the adrenaline, etc. I understand it because I've been close to it myself. As a dart player I was never better than top-100 USA, (which ain't too shabby), the difference between me and the top twenty guys is vast. Playing darts at a professional level is one of many things that I enjoyed doing; for the very best it's ALL THEY DO. When I was 58 and facing either surgery or the stop-gap of a fifth cortisone shot in my elbow, I did the logical thing and retired. At my age I wasn't going to suddenly get any better, I could have multiple injections and arm surgeries in order to hang around the 80s and 90s and eventually fall below 100, what would be the point? But see, those guys in the top twenty? They'd go under the knife and mainline cortisone if it would get them to one more tournament. That's the kind of mindset that Brian Danielson has.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Regarding his style, I think back to Total Divas (or was it Bellas?)  He was talking with Sami at the PC and had a style figured out where there really wasn't much risk involved.  It seemed like he was partially joking, but with the excitement he had telling Sami about it if he could make something like that work in the ring then he's set for quite awhile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for that.  I do think (hope) we get more mat based stuff from him and WAY less dives.  Who TF cares about a dive when everyone is doing it. Bryan doing his normal firing up and then just viciously stretching people out on the mat for 2 minutes would be way more compelling and over than all the dives and headbutts.

6 hours ago, Surprisingly Sincere Man said:

Watching those clips posted earlier, I'm a little disappointed that I had fallen out of wrestling for a few years at that time. Crowd was molten for him.

The best of all the "holy fuck the crowd is into this guy" is from the end of a random ass cage match in January 2014.

They had basically decided (some people will argue it was actually long term storytelling but everyone involved that has been interviewed denies that) his run as a main eventer was over, so they kinda randomly turned him we had him join the Wyatt family.

Then Michigan State's football team won a bowl game and got all over SportsCenter doing the Yes chant to celebrate and that made Vince decide they had to turn Bryan back face immediately. 

So Bray and Bryan lost to the Usos, Bray tried to give Bryan the Sister Abigail for losing, Bryan refused, beat the hell out of Wyatt and got the biggest reaction in WWE in the last decade. Just unglued

• Like 3

It wasn't just Michigan State. That was one of the big ones, but everyone was doing that shit. Soccer teams, baseball teams, etc. Also, even during that angle with the Wyatts, the fans still cheered the hell out of DB and kept YES'ing and everything.