DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Stannis at the wall is next week. Episode 10, I'm taking Tyrion in a barrel, Arya on a boat, Cersei/Jaime finding Tywin's and Shae's bodies, Child bones for Dany and maybe Melisandre's You Know Nothing.

Stoneheart? Nah. Maybe a hanged Frey by the Brotherhood, but I don't see Stoneheart happening.

The title of next week's show is Watcher's on the Wall so it is definitely the battle. The preview only shows the Battle of the Wall so it will probably be Blackwater epic.

The title for episode ten is Children so Dany definitely gets the bones, I can see Arya sailing off, Sansa and Littlefinger talking, and maybe pay a visit to Bran before Tyrion escapes and kills Tywin. 

I have no doubt at this point that they will improve on Sansa's story greatly.  

On the other hand, it looks like they are falling into the same knot with Dany.  Not much you can do about it I guess, considering the big picture implications.  They're going to have to ride it out for better or worse on that front.

Elaborate what you mean here. Do you think Dany's story will continue to be drawn out and dull and we'll never see her in Westeros? 

I think you can cut down Bran walking through the snow or speed up Sansa learning to play the game and it will improve the show, but you can't exactly do that with Dany.  Her being anywhere else would drastically throw off the big picture story.  We're going to have to sit through all the duller moments of ADOD and I don't see any way around it.

I do think she will eventually make it to Westeros, but I'm honestly not convinced it will be as a babyface at this point.  The "when a Targaryen is born you flip a coin" thing is interesting to me.  Not sure if the coin has landed yet in Dany's case.  The show is actually beginning to show hints of madness that don't really show up in the books til ADOD.  I was particularly intrigued by the scene of Dany looking out on Mereen as the masters are being crucified.  That was very much something the Mad King would do.

How could George complete a Dany heel turn, you ask?  Easy.  Dany executes Tyrion in book 6 when she finds out he is a Lannister.  Ughh.  That was hard to even type.

The stuff across the narrow sea should get much more interesting next season when Tyrion is added to the mix. Season 5 is shaping up to be rather mysterious. Do we get both Jon Connington/young Aegon and Quentyn Martell and his crew?

How much the the Iron borne stuff remains intact? Those Greyjoys are going to be some interesting castings...

I have no doubt at this point that they will improve on Sansa's story greatly.  

On the other hand, it looks like they are falling into the same knot with Dany.  Not much you can do about it I guess, considering the big picture implications.  They're going to have to ride it out for better or worse on that front.

Elaborate what you mean here. Do you think Dany's story will continue to be drawn out and dull and we'll never see her in Westeros? 

I think you can cut down Bran walking through the snow or speed up Sansa learning to play the game and it will improve the show, but you can't exactly do that with Dany.  Her being anywhere else would drastically throw off the big picture story.  We're going to have to sit through all the duller moments of ADOD and I don't see any way around it.

I do think she will eventually make it to Westeros, but I'm honestly not convinced it will be as a babyface at this point.  The "when a Targaryen is born you flip a coin" thing is interesting to me.  Not sure if the coin has landed yet in Dany's case.  The show is actually beginning to show hints of madness that don't really show up in the books til ADOD.  I was particularly intrigued by the scene of Dany looking out on Mereen as the masters are being crucified.  That was very much something the Mad King would do.

How could George complete a Dany heel turn, you ask?  Easy.  Dany executes Tyrion in book 6 when she finds out he is a Lannister.  Ughh.  That was hard to even type.

Christ, I didn't even think about that outcome. Shit. I think you may have the most accurate prediction possible. It would be even more insane if she executes Jorah at the same time for showing back up within the city walls when she told him not to regardless of his intent. 

Also, they can greatly increase my enjoyment of the Dany arc by introducing the fighter pits. 

I think the problem with Dany is that he needs to keep her away from Westeros until all the other pieces are in place, but it results in a lot of wheel spinning for a character that was my favorite through the first two books.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sped in Dany's stuff so the big battle they're getting ready for at the end of aDwD happens in the show next year. Because whilst they need to establish that she's learning to play politics, they also need to establish the she can plan a battle. She's taken 3 Slaver cities, once by treachery, one by intimidation, and one by stealth, but she's never actually done any battle command.

Plus, the show runners are in fear of anything being called boring, and they can't really cut Dany's screen time.

Why is Balon Greyjoy still alive? Why have they sent out casting notices for next year with Martell characters and House of Black and White characters, but no Ironborn? I'm guessing they're saving his death for episode ten, but we've spent so much time away from the Greyjoys that him being dead won't really make much of a difference. Not only that, but aside from Yara's abortive Theon rescue and they diseased guys holding Moat Cailin, it looks like they Ironborn have basically stopped doing anything since the end of season 2. If they'd have had a throwaway line with Roose saying that the North was under threat from Wildlings in the North and Ironmen in the West, so we knew they were still doing something... In the books it makes sense they stop, because Balon dies and they don't know what their orders are. But in the show, why?

Too many balls in the air, I know. You can't blame them for letting one drop.

Yeah, they need to do something with the Ironborn, since you need Euron to win the Kingsmoot and start his Reaving trip to Essos.  Gotta give the Tyrells the reason to trick Cersei into building the Navy for them to pinch and take back to the Reach since that's where the Ironborn have been doing the most damage.  Without that Reaving going on, the Tyrells have less of a reason to fuck Cersei over.

And give the reason for Loras to lead the Vanguard into the seige of Storm's End and get boiling oiled.

They showed Lil' Joffrey winning the War of the Five Kings at his Wedding six episodes ago. If Balon was dying off screen, they would have mentioned it before then.

The Navy was pinched by Aurane Waters, who is mentioned in passing in the spoiler chapter on GRRM's site. He didn't take it to the Reach, the fleet headed towards the Reach is the one that was suppsed to be there all along. Cersei called it away from there because she thought the Ironborn were only attacking the North. And because she's an idiot.

Has Elliot Rodger primed the internet to go into a shitstorm over alleged misogyny when Tyrion kills Shae?  Will the book-reading portion internet go nuts if he doesn't strangle her?  Do you want the show to be uber-faithful to that scene?

I'm more primed to go into a shitstorm over actual "Shooting a kickass old dude in the bowels with a crossbow" events than Tyrion having to choke a bitch.

Has Elliot Rodger primed the internet to go into a shitstorm over alleged misogyny when Tyrion kills Shae?  Will the book-reading portion internet go nuts if he doesn't strangle her?  Do you want the show to be uber-faithful to that scene?

I hope it is true to the books, but I also think that art can use misogyny, racism, and violence to get it's point across without glamourizing it.  Tyrion strangling Shae is a crime of passion that is based 100% on her lying in order to get him killed.  He doesn't hate women, he hates that that particular woman's lies led to him being convicted of regicide.  Some people may have a problem with it, but I think the majority of people will see it for what it is and that is a crime of passion that just about anyone could commit in the wrong situation.

I hope it is true to the books, but I also think that art can use misogyny, racism, and violence to get it's point across without glamourizing it.  Tyrion strangling Shae is a crime of passion that is based 100% on her lying in order to get him killed.  He doesn't hate women, he hates that that particular woman's lies led to him being convicted of regicide.  Some people may have a problem with it, but I think the majority of people will see it for what it is and that is a crime of passion that just about anyone could commit in the wrong situation.

Forgive my misogynist post here but the bitch was fucking his father on top of the lies.  Tyrion could forgive the lies. He can't forgive fucking the old man after all the shit the old man put him through. 

• Like 1

I think that the talk of misogyny in GOT is over-emphasized. Misanthropy is the word that best describes it. Everyone dies and the more horribly the better. I never would have thought that the nice man who wrote The Armageddon Rag had it in him. Of course, he did write "Sandkings"...

"A rating point is a rating point even if the viewers are puking on themselves and throwing things at the screen."

What I like is that the Unsullied will in no way be able to trust that a new character can survive the season, so if/when the badass new Greyjoys, Connington and Quentyn Martell appear they will almost be expecting their death come the end of the season.

Its almost as fun as watching the show.

I don't think Tyrion will be strangling her, because the Hand's chain of hands necklace thing never made it into the show. On the other... case... the Hand's badge does resemble a small dagger. It might even be sharp enough to cut someone's throat with.

I bet he uses Joffrey's s crossbow on Tywin though. They went to all the trouble to say that it's a special one without a crank, establishing that someone with less than Archer strength could still use it...