DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Don't remind me of 87...that last game when Doyle Alexander shut is down still haunts me lol. And fuck Bill Madlock and his dirty slide. This September has been absolutely brutal. It's a shame that the offence and relievers have let down some pretty great starting pitching.

That slide was dirty as hell, that's for sure. But it was Frank Tanana who tossed the shutout on the last day. Larry Herndon homered for the only run - 1-0.  That season was awesome.

Fun fact: Doyle Alexander started 11 games for Detroit that year. The Tigers never trailed in any of them.

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mike is too busy celebrating the Mets WC than to worry about the correct names of moves

Me and thousands of other Mets fans at CBP are celebrating right now!

Hanley Ramirez hit a "sort of homer" to break up Aaron Sanchez's no-hitter with 2 outs in the 7th, and tie the game at 1. As in, the ump called it fair, and thusly when the review comes back inconclusive, it goes with the default call.

I have no proof that ball was foul (because the camera angle at Fenway suck for home runs down line towards the green monster), but when the players on that side of the field all yell foul, and the guy who hit the ball keeps his bat in his hand and does not run, it's usually not a fair ball.

Interesting fact: the Cardinals were the only team in the NL with an above .500 record who didn't reach the postseason (The AL had 4: Detroit, Seattle, Houston and NYY).

As beat up as I am about LAD getting swept by SF to end the year, Bumgarner - Syndergaard should be pretty goddamn great. Here's hoping the Giants get tomahawked and NYM goes on to CHC. 

Also, I have no idea how to feel about Dodger baseball without Vin behind the mic. I'm heartbroken, but for fuck's sake, he's 89 and deserves to spend his last few years as laid back and stress free as he can.

I spent his last game listening to him on the radio, the same way I first had the pleasure of hearing him do Dodger games when I was little. In order to best honor his legacy, the Dodgers should take the great Jake Taylor's advice and win the whole fucking thing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I have a feeling Vin Scully broadcasts are going to circulate like Bob Ross videos from now on.

For the last 10 years or so, my Dad and I have had conversations about what should be done with the thousands of hours of tape on Vin. My best suggestion as of yet is to put out records of some of his tales to use as bedtime stories.

I would listen to Vin read the goddamn dictionary. Someone should get him to do a GPS add-on while he still has the pipes to do so.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 3

On 9/29/2016 at 0:24 PM, Dewar said:

The Blue Jays bullpen is quite the dumpster fire these days. If they manage to get to the best-of-5 round, I have very little faith they can get a win without the starter going 9 innings.

Great stat.  The Jays starters led MLB in most innings pitched yet had not one complete game this season.  Going to be tough with Grilli wearing out Osuna over worked and Gibby too scared to trot out Feldman, Tepera, Danny Barnes and anyone else sitting out there.  Liriano will be the closer by the time the playoffs start

He'll end up on the Brewers by December for no reason as we dump his 150% better counter-part Chris Carter who actually had an okay season by his standards. If you raise that average 30 points you have a very good power bat. .222/.321/.499 41 HR, 94 RBI, 206 Ks, 76 BB. He lead the NL in homeruns. Tenth in walks. A WAR of a whopping 1.1 cause his DWAR is a dreadful -1.4 at probably the easiest position on the field, first base, he had 11 errors.

Bummed the Mariners fell short of the wild card. I have a feeling there's gonna be a pretty big overhaul of the roster too. Can't see them bringing back Lind or Ianetta for sure.