DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XII

Dolfan in NYC

The first Smackdown only PPV is next week.  The card so far:

For the WWE World Heavyweight  Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs A. J. Styles

For the WWE Intercontinental Title: The Miz (c) vs Dolph Ziggler 

For the new WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship: Winners of American Alpha/The Usos vs The Hype Bros/Mountaineer Rhinos.  (Slater must win tournament to keep his job) 

Syxx Pack Challenge for the new WWE Smackdown Womyn's Championship: Alexa Bliss vs Becky Lynch vs Carmella vs Naomi vs Natalya vs Nikki Bella

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton

Unless Styles-Ambrose is going 45, this seems a bit thin. 

They should have broken Nikki vs Carmella off into a singles. If not for the Slater angle, they could have run the losers of the semis in the tag tournament in a bronze medal match where the winner became the new #1 contender. 

Welcome return for the Backlash name. I miss the old monthly PPV names and the history they had in years: No Way Out, Backlash, Judgment Day, Vengeance, Unforgiven, No Mercy (a favourite of mine) and Armaggedon.

AJ Styles should defintely win the WWE Championship. Best wrestler in the WWE today. Liking the strikethrough, Dolfan.

Hoping Becky Lynch finally wins the big one. Out of the Four Horsewomen, Becky Lynch never won the NXT Women's Championship. Becky hasn't won a WWE Divas Championship or the WWE Women's Championship which replaced it and is now the RAW version either.

I'm also interested in the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship match.

Don't care for the rest.

Mountaineer Rhinos?  I like that name!

I'd imagine they're going to have at least one other match to fill it out.  I'm hoping with the brand-exclusive PPVs they can trim the shows down to two hours.  No reason to have it go three when the roster is thin.  And with it being a network special there's no commitment to PPV providers to worry about.

One thing I'm immediately loving about this show is that you don't really know how these are going to play out.  It seems reasonable to think AJ will win as he probably should.  But the other matches have multiple scenarios they can go with and it doesn't feel like it's obvious who will win.  Yeah, I'd want Becky to win and she should.  But with Nikki there's she's a heavy favorite as well.  And the tag tournament can go between Alpha and Mountaineer Rhinos.  If they're in the finals are they going to have risk AA getting a bad reaction for denying Slater a SD contract?  Yet as fun as Slater's been it'll be kind of weird for AA to not win it after all they've accomplished.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

Mountaineer Rhinos?  I like that name!

I'd imagine they're going to have at least one other match to fill it out.  I'm hoping with the brand-exclusive PPVs they can trim the shows down to two hours.  No reason to have it go three when the roster is thin.  And with it being a network special there's no commitment to PPV providers to worry about.

One thing I'm immediately loving about this show is that you don't really know how these are going to play out.  It seems reasonable to think AJ will win as he probably should.  But the other matches have multiple scenarios they can go with and it doesn't feel like it's obvious who will win.  Yeah, I'd want Becky to win and she should.  But with Nikki there's she's a heavy favorite as well.  And the tag tournament can go between Alpha and Mountaineer Rhinos.  If they're in the finals are they going to have risk AA getting a bad reaction for denying Slater a SD contract?  Yet as fun as Slater's been it'll be kind of weird for AA to not win it after all they've accomplished.

I think they're going to go with the Usos as the first champs and pull the trigger on the heel turn. As you pointed out, the dynamic between Alpha and Slater & Rhyno would be all wrong and bad for AA. They can chase the heel Usos and build to their big title win.

17 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I think they're going to go with the Usos as the first champs and pull the trigger on the heel turn. As you pointed out, the dynamic between Alpha and Slater & Rhyno would be all wrong and bad for AA. They can chase the heel Usos and build to their big title win.

And in doing that it would get more heat on Usos for denying Slater a contract.  The more I think about this the more I like the idea.

So based on the card so far my picks are:

AJ over Dean. WWE has to strike while the iron is hot with AJ. Though since Corbin technically has a win over Dean Ambrose I could see them making this match a Triple Threat with Dean beating Baron giving them more time to build to Ambrose/Styles,

Becky has to be the favorite to win the belt here but I could see them either putting the belt on Nikki or Alexa here. I could see WWE being gun shy on Becky and wanting her to have her big moment down the line (when their mood will change and they still won't give her a run) but there is no reason to pick anyone else over Becky in this case. The first women's champion on Smackdown Live should be Becky.

I think having the Usos win by not really cheating against AA (something like "inadvertently" losing the turnbuckle pad and having Jordan knock himself out on it) and then taking Beauty and the Man Beast lightly until they have to blatantly cheat to win would be perfect.

Miz should retain as they should build up the Miz constantly sneaking out wins until Wrestlemania where Daniel Bryan brings out someone who's never won the IC Title, his Total Bellas co-star John Cena. The main event of Wrestlemania 27 could have their rematch six years later for the IC title (Has this ever happened with both participants wrestled in the main event of one Mania only and faced each other again later for a different title?)

Logic dictates that Orton should go over here but I think it's soon enough after the Lesnar beatdown that Wyatt can get the semi-clean win over Orton here. Have Orton take a vicious headshot that dazes him and allows a beaten Wyatt to hit the Sister Abigail. If Harper is healthy enough to cut a promo and stand on his own two feet, I'd think about putting Orton over and have Harper come out and tell Wyatt that Bray is just a false god and build to a slow Wyatt/Harper feud when Harper can get in the ring.

If Corbin doesn't get put in the main event, I'd have him squash Kane, do a post match beatdown only for Apollo Crews to make the save which sets up an impromptu Corbin/Crews match which would end with a non-finish of either Corbin walking out after Crews has control for too long or Corbin just hits Crews with a chair because Crews was in control too long.

Pre-Show would be the American Alpha vs. Ascension with AA going over

• Like 1

Yeah I think they have to do Uso's sort of cheat to beat AA then heel on Slater and Rhyno. It really wouldn't do Alpha any favors getting booed trying to prevent Heath from feeding his 15 kids. It's not going to do Hype Bros any favors either, and I thought they looked really good this past week.

They need to put more effort into AA's character development before putting the belts on them. They were one of my favorite acts in NXT, but it hasn't clicked yet on the MR.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The first Smackdown only PPV is next week.  The card so far:

For the WWE World Heavyweight  Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs A. J. Styles

For the WWE Intercontinental Title: The Miz (c) vs Dolph Ziggler 

For the new WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship: Winners of American Alpha/The Usos vs The Hype Bros/Mountaineer Rhinos.  (Slater must win tournament to keep his job) 

Syxx Pack Challenge for the new WWE Smackdown Womyn's Championship: Alexa Bliss vs Becky Lynch vs Carmella vs Naomi vs Natalya vs Nikki Bella

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton

Unless Styles-Ambrose is going 45, this seems a bit thin. 

I think they learned their lesson from the SummerSlam that lasted seventy nine hours.

In a good and proper world, they will put the belt on AJ.

It is amazing how much I do not give a fuck about Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton.

However I do give an abundance of fucks about Miz vs. Ziggler because Miz needs to cripple Ziggler with the Figure Four and begin marketing his fine line of I Broke Dolph's Leg shirts.

I think they will put the belt on Becky only to put it on Alexa Bliss (blondes are not normally my thing, but wow!) at the next PPV who will eventually lose it to EDM Naomi who will cough it up to Bella when she feels like a title run.  Eva Marie will probably get jobbed to infinity once she is out of the dog house.

Honestly this thread might be the first time I've seen someone here even mention Bray/Orton, and that angle started 2 weeks ago.

This show looks mostly inoffensive, but probably skip-able outside of maybe AJ winning the actual WWE title. Gonna be tough to pry me away from NFL week 1.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Eva Marie's hair is dark right now by the way. I think she needs to stick to the bright red. It's crucial to her character.

Her emotional exhaustion was such that she's now all goth everything. Black hair, black gear, darkwave entrance music, and a refusal to compete because there's no point, the only real struggle is against the futility of existence. 

• Like 9

I assume Fabreeze turn face somehow so they are not heel team no.4 if the Uso's turn heel. I also am the only person alive who loves the Ascention and wants them to crush the Hype bros and that sets up the next contenders to AA (after Usos).