DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling moves that pretty much no longer exist

16 hours ago, The Comedian said:

The move where you put your opponent in a standing head scissors like you're about piledrive them, but instead you just jump and jostle their neck. So, so, 80's. JYD did it all the time. No one does it any more.

The Bell Ringer! Loved that move.

Also, the "I'm on the top rope, you're standing and facing away from me, I put my knee against the back of your head/neck, jump off the top and drive you into the canvas" move. Whatever that one was called. It's the finish to the Rockin' Robin/Sherri title change match, and I also remember Dick Murdoch using it.

27 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Also, the "I'm on the top rope, you're standing and facing away from me, I put my knee against the back of your head/neck, jump off the top and drive you into the canvas" move. Whatever that one was called. It's the finish to the Rockin' Robin/Sherri title change match, and I also remember Dick Murdoch using it.

Tenzan's still keeping the Calf Branding alive in NJPW, I think as recently as the Kizuna Road finale last weekend.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2016 at 3:47 PM, cwoy2j said:

Don't know if it's just me not paying that much attention or what but I feel like I haven't seen a back body drop in a while. And certainly not a Vince McMahon approved, "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack body drop".

Styles took one in the Cena match, but yeah, it's become much rarer, when it used to be a staple. Probably for the best.

On 7/7/2016 at 9:58 PM, KDWI said:

The bell clap, especially to escape a bear hug.

Aries does it a lot.

Ambrose does a butterfly superplex. I swear I saw someone do a regular version lately, because I realized it's not something you see much of anymore.

20 hours ago, Hamhock said:

The Bell Ringer! Loved that move.

Gravedigger

Gable did an inverted atomic drop in the 2/3 falls against the Revival this week

A lot of these moves haven't really ceased to exist at all, they've just been downgraded from constant staples through overfamilarity and people having a tendency to use newer, flashier moves

The atomic drop in the 80s always seemed like it was a really good go-to for a moment of mid-match comeuppance where a heel just gets his dick vengefully destroyed; not sure if you could get that same reaction now but I'm all in favour of people attempting to rebuild and reintroduce classic spots and tropes that have been proven to work in the past

The slingshot suplex could do with a revival yep, Miz did bust out his slingshot powerbomb on Smackdown, which would be a way better finisher for him if he hadn't nearly killed someone with it previously

Does anyone use the ropes for leverage in submissions anymore (even if it doesn't make sense most of the time)? That was a great old-school heat spot where the heel would would have his hands/feet on the ropes while the ref was checking the babyface, then let go as soon as the ref went around to look. The ropes would still be shaking, but the heel vehemently denied it and the ref had no proof so he would sternly warn the heel, who would of course do it again as soon as the ref couldn't see. Then it got it a pop when the ref would catch him and kick the heel to break the hold.

• Like 2

The heart punch needs to be brought back. It seems like a something that would work well for Bray. If Roman ever goes full heel, he should do away with the superman punch and start using the heart punch. 

• Like 2

Anyone out there still doing the criss-cross ropes running deal? I've been watching a lot of the "Old School" section on the Network, and that is one that sticks out as having disappeared. Not that it should still be around, I thought it was dumb 30 years ago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Does anyone use the ropes for leverage in submissions anymore (even if it doesn't make sense most of the time)? That was a great old-school heat spot where the heel would would have his hands/feet on the ropes while the ref was checking the babyface, then let go as soon as the ref went around to look. The ropes would still be shaking, but the heel vehemently denied it and the ref had no proof so he would sternly warn the heel, who would of course do it again as soon as the ref couldn't see. Then it got it a pop when the ref would catch him and kick the heel to break the hold.

Very few guys today really know how to work the crowd. KO can get a headlock over like Rick Martel... but I can't think of anyone else of that quality

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 7/8/2016 at 11:08 PM, Dog said:

Aries does it a lot.

I haven't seen much of Aries, so that would explain that! Maybe I should clear out my NXT backlog.

On 7/9/2016 at 8:00 AM, Roman said:

Slightly related:

iUz3Mzk.gif

Well that is just tremendous.