DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling moves that pretty much no longer exist

Why has the Worm disappeared? We need more moves like that as pure finishers for 2/3 of the roster. Cena should just switch to the knuckle drop as a finish. Get rid of all bumps.

On 7/17/2016 at 7:35 PM, odessasteps said:

Come visit the lucha folder and watch some Cavernario Barbarnario matches. :)

I said finisher! Unless, he's dropped the splashes for the Worm.

Is there anyone who does Akira Taue's moves? The Atomic Drop Slam, the spinning rocket launcher Chokeslam, that 'Put your head on my hip, then swing my leg up and stomp the ground' thing Baba used to do... chops to the top of the head, even. It's odd, everyone wants to do Misawa's moves, or Kawada's moves, or Kobashi's moves, or Akiyama's moves (and Steve Williams' & Johnny Ace's too), but even though Taue is in all of those tag matches (and singles matches), everyone looks through him.

26 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I know it was only used on a handful of occasions anyway, but there's no one using the Burning Hammer or Tiger 91 right? Those moves are insane. . .

Michael Elgin is using the Burning Hammer but it's the safe version, which is essentially an inverted AA

• Like 1

Some random indy dorks out there probably still use the BH. I don't think I've seen a true TD '91 since Misawa's days. Probably no one wanting to do it, so they just do the safer double arm piledriver. "Tiger Driver 98!"

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 9:01 AM, AxB said:

Is there anyone who does Akira Taue's moves? The Atomic Drop Slam, the spinning rocket launcher Chokeslam, that 'Put your head on my hip, then swing my leg up and stomp the ground' thing Baba used to do... chops to the top of the head, even. It's odd, everyone wants to do Misawa's moves, or Kawada's moves, or Kobashi's moves, or Akiyama's moves (and Steve Williams' & Johnny Ace's too), but even though Taue is in all of those tag matches (and singles matches), everyone looks through him.

Probably because most of his moves weren't very good, and only have a chance of looking decent if you're way taller than your opponent. Taue was a good worker, but not because of anything he had going for him athletically. Lots of people still do the sit-out powerbomb, though.

Taue was very awkward, but everything he did suited his odd style and he had strong psychology. You just accepted it. Be careful, he drives a cement truck, so he probably knows some "guys".

• Like 2

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 0:00 PM, Kuetsar said:

I know it was only used on a handful of occasions anyway, but there's no one using the Burning Hammer or Tiger 91 right? Those moves are insane. . .

Dan Maff still uses the burning hammer regularly.  Not the safe version either.  Full-on Kobashi-style head drop.

So far as I know, CJ Otis still uses the burning hammer.

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What was the name of/whatever happened to the WWE dreadlock guy who used the Burning Hammer until Cena got wind of it and got him in trouble because he thought it was too close to the AA?

Tyler Reks.

Edit: Reks asked for his release and quit the business.  Near as I can tell, he's wrestled one match since his WWE release.

Full Nelson was the first thing that came to mind, followed by a mule kick, and the side russian leg sweep. The last one may still happen and I probably just gloss over it, but I recall that being a big move in the 80s and 90s, mainly because of Bret Hart and a few others.

On 7/27/2016 at 1:28 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I personally never found Taue to be at all interesting. 

What I do find interesting is how influential Akiyama has become in the north american scene. Out of those 5 guys, it was the little blue guy that most emulate. 

Taue had an amazing year. One amazing year.

Back on topic, does anyone use the old school Harley Race style shoulder breaker anymore?

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Otis hasn't wrestled in like four years.

Oops.  Cagematch lists him as active.  I didn't notice that the last match they have in their database involving him took place in 2012.  Honestly, the last time I actually saw him in a match was probably 2007 or 2008.

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Full Nelson was the first thing that came to mind, followed by a mule kick, and the side russian leg sweep. The last one may still happen and I probably just gloss over it, but I recall that being a big move in the 80s and 90s, mainly because of Bret Hart and a few others.

The Suicide Dive is today what the Russian Leg Sweep was in the 90s. A big move that everyone did until it stopped meaning anything.

28 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

Taue had an amazing year. One amazing year.

Back on topic, does anyone use the old school Harley Race style shoulder breaker anymore?

Taue had way more than that.  Taue looks like he should suck ass, but he's consistently awesome from 1991 into the 2000s.  He's the Priest Holmes of wrestling, he was one of the best wrestlers in the world at one point, but people tend to forget him when talking about the best guys of his time.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Oops.  Cagematch lists him as active.  I didn't notice that the last match they have in their database involving him took place in 2012.  Honestly, the last time I actually saw him in a match was probably 2007 or 2008.

That would be true of nearly everyone who actually saw him wrestle.