DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling moves that pretty much no longer exist

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 7:11 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

the long lost brain damaged Von Erich brother.

How dumb would you have to be to be make this work?  One of them was literally brain-damaged, and the rest of them weren't exactly the Algonquin Round Table.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

What's a guy gotta do to see a snap mare in 2016?

If you loosen that description to include a Super Suicide Snapmare Driver Extreme V3... go to an indy show ;)

• Like 1

On 7/9/2016 at 2:54 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Does anyone use the ropes for leverage in submissions anymore (even if it doesn't make sense most of the time)? That was a great old-school heat spot where the heel would would have his hands/feet on the ropes while the ref was checking the babyface, then let go as soon as the ref went around to look. The ropes would still be shaking, but the heel vehemently denied it and the ref had no proof so he would sternly warn the heel, who would of course do it again as soon as the ref couldn't see. Then it got it a pop when the ref would catch him and kick the heel to break the hold.

You don't see stuff like this in WWE anymore due to Vince's edict that the ref shouldn't be made to look foolish.  Which is dumb because "blind ref" is a fucking staple of pro wrestling.  Can it be abused to the point of absurdity?  Of course but so can anything else.

• Like 2

Well, when you had multiple tag matches on a show with the same stupid blind referee spots happening and they never caught on, it gets kind of old. Same with anything else used to excess on a show. I also await the return of the Perineum Claw, not the testicular claw as that would be illegal. Perineum is the taint for anyone unsure. You can work over the area with atomic drops and proper inverted atomic drops!

• Like 1

The abdominal stretch is old school and all, but I think that move right there is sort of what broke kayfabe for me as a kid. No matter how me and my friends tried to apply it on each other, we couldn't get that fucker to work at all.

• Like 1

Skimming through this thread, I swear some of you haven't watched wrestling in 20-30 years.

Who said the haven't seen a backdrop anymore? WTF? Seriously? I barely watch wrestling on TV and still saw Jericho launch AJ Styles with at least two...one of which looked like it was going to kill Styles, before he defied gravity and got over.

And abdominal stretches, assisted by the outside  man, are still a staple of any decent heel tag team.

EDIT: and a snap mare? A fucking snap mare?? Any kicky little wrestler about to abuse his or her opponent's spine is using a snap mare to set up a shitty kick to the back. Hell, Emma used one on NXT just a few months back, when she was stiffing the shit out of Santana Garrett.

• Like 2

Ishii used the Screwdriver a few times as well. You can make the move safe if you don't actually drive the person's skull into the ground, which Steiner seemed to always do. And he was jacked to the gills, catching them should have been simple. Akitoshi Saito also has done a version.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

You don't see stuff like this in WWE anymore due to Vince's edict that the ref shouldn't be made to look foolish.  Which is dumb because "blind ref" is a fucking staple of pro wrestling.  Can it be abused to the point of absurdity?  Of course but so can anything else.

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna see that spot all the time or anything, but it would be cool if someone like Miz pulled it out on occasion. It's an easy way to get the crowd involved in an otherwise forgettable match, just like the good old 10-count punch in the corner.

13 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna see that spot all the time or anything, but it would be cool if someone like Miz pulled it out on occasion. It's an easy way to get the crowd involved in an otherwise forgettable match, just like the good old 10-count punch in the corner.

Exactly.  It's a good tool to have in the drawer as long as you don't overdo it, just like anything else in wrestling. You don't cheat in front of the ref's face 6 times in a match (I just saw that in a PWG match and it really killed it for me) but you can sneak in some chicanery behind his back occasionally.  That's what a heel is supposed to do.

It's funny that Vince doesn't want the refs "depowered" but seemingly doesn't give two shits about Big Steph cutting every wrestler's dick off in every interaction.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That turnbuckle knee gimmick was also used to great effectiveness by Ivan Koloff. Dis it ever have a name?

I don't think that Koloff ever named that move (he's using it to kill Frank Williams in this match):

but I think it was unofficially dubbed The Russian Hammer until Nikita, Ivan, and Krusher Krushchev all started using the Putski Polish Hammer as the Russian Hammer in the NWA / WCW when it was the set-up move for the Russian Sickle clothesline finisher.

I did not think that anyone used the rolling grapevine / Fuller leglock anymore until Corey Graves busted it out in NXT.  It has also been a while since I've seen someone use the Stretch Muffler.  I don't even remember Brock bringing it back as the Brock Lock since he started using that reverse hammerlock as his sub finisher.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
23 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

FWIW, I'm way behind on live TV and just watched the March 10th episode of SmackDown: ten punches in the corner, backdrop, and a few others mentioned here.

But was there a bell clap?! Very important question.

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's funny that Vince doesn't want the refs "depowered" but seemingly doesn't give two shits about Big Steph cutting every wrestler's dick off in every interaction.

Gotta keep Stephanie looking strong, so she can eventually put over Aurora Rose. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

FWIW, I'm way behind on live TV and just watched the March 10th episode of SmackDown: ten punches in the corner, backdrop, and a few others mentioned here.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to imply that the 10-punch spot isn't used, just that it's a super easy way to generate crowd interaction. WWE actually went through a weird phase a a couple years back where lots of people had 10-count spots at the same time (Ziggler's elbow drops, Sheamus' apron forearms, Del Rio's forearms to the kidneys + backstabber off the ropes, Roman's clubbing blows in the corner). Might have had something to do with Bryan getting the crowd to chant 'yes' on every strike.

1 hour ago, Super Weak Machine said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more faces being scraped along the top rope every once in a while.

I feel like Ambrose used to do that when he was a heel.

17 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I feel like Ambrose used to do that when he was a heel.

Ambrose did a bunch of cool stuff as a heel, then he just dropped it. Granted, they are "heel" spots, still though. He's the kind of character who could pull off those things and it'd still be acceptable. I'll gladly sacrifice that dipshit rebound clothesline for his Muta elbow, eye scrape on the ropes and the other random stuff he used to do. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Gotta keep Stephanie looking strong, so she can eventually put over Aurora Rose. 

Unless Paige sticks around long enough to where she and her mum can put over Steph and Aurora in a holla holla match.