DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-25-16 - The Rock Returns and Saves WWE for One Night

MGFanJay

Female athletes do not have the luxury of being primarily portrayed as performance athletes first instead of their sex appeal before all else. The long standing tradition in media is to present 'sexiness first and sports star second'. The suggestive poses, revealing clothing, and sometimes even semi-nude/nude spreads. This has been going on for years, so I am not sure why some people are pretending that even for a fleeting second that they find a few of their favorite female performers as eye candy that they would love to date. This is a long standing belief if sociology that shows that when it comes to the sexual attraction we tend to favor those whom we would like to bed a bit more than those we do not. In a nothing Diva match I would watch Nikki vs. Natalie and not Brie vs. Summer Rae. Workrate aside, I am not going to pretend that looks have nothing to do with my viewership. Again, the level that some will take it (or try and repress it to pretend they are a 'better' fan than others) is incredible.

I don't dislike Ziggler like some people in this thread, but I think his chance has long sailed and he's clearly fading in both his position on the card and fan interest.

Barring a Kofi like reinvention, I don't think anything is changing.

And, I mean, he visibly doesn't give a shit half the time, so why should we.

I really don't see the problem in a male being a big fan of a female wrestler. Calling those fans "psychos" is a bit rude, too. I guess adult male John Cena fans standing next to kids who also happen to be John Cena fans and trying to get his t-shirt or hat or armband that's thrown into the crowd are also psychos? It's when that fandom crosses over into creepy territory that things get weird. Wanting the merch that Bayley (or anyone) gives away to the crowd isn't weird, that's crowd participation. She just happens to be a kid friendly character, like John Cena, so that's why she ignores the adult fans wanting the same thing as the kids in attendance.

I, personally, wouldn't wear any of Bayley's merch, because it's fucking embarrassing, but if an adult male at a wrestling show is inclined to show support for his favorite female wrestler... who the fuck cares? Are we now assuming all of the male fans just want to fuck Bayley or something instead of appreciating her skills inside the ring?

Thank you for pointing out the inherit sexism that many overlook.

And, yeah, Bayley's merch are poorly designed. On point and well targeted, but poorly designed nevertheless.

I don't dislike Ziggler like some people in this thread, but I think his chance has long sailed and he's clearly fading in both his position on the card and fan interest.

Barring a Kofi like reinvention, I don't think anything is changing.

And, I mean, he visibly doesn't give a shit half the time, so why should we.

Pretty much it.

I never disliked Ziggler... it's simply not fun watching him go through the motions. I mean, all that wasted potential.

At the height of Ziggler's popularity, he remained the same character/persona, down to his in ring pacing and move set. Besides slowing down a lil, not much has changed.

Also, I honestly can't remember Ziggler ever being good on the mic (NXT improv withstanding).

Are we pretending that straight males don't marvel over the bodies of jacked up and cut up dudes in tights when it comes to pro wrestling? Every wrestler is sexualized to some degree. Otherwise they'd be fully clothed and not have lots of show muscles.

• Like 2

Are we pretending that straight males don't marvel over the bodies of jacked up and cut up dudes in tights when it comes to pro wrestling?

This is definitely the weirdest strawman you've whipped up since your return

What am I strawmanning here? Sexualization is a part of pro wrestling for men and women, and it isn't inherently a bad thing. It's okay to ogle Alexa Bliss' ass just like it is okay to ogle Rick Rude's abs. And we all do both, so just watch your god damn wrestling.

• Like 3

I think the reasoning for that is that a lot of people feel the need to prove they are not online creeps and so they over compensate by going onto forums and patting themselves on the back while pretending to not have seen Jennifer Lawrence's nude photos because they were 'raised right' and 'have respect for women'. Its the opposite of what we see in real life where men usually go out of their way to prove how heterosexual they are. Online, with its negative stigma in some circles, we need to pretend we are living in the Victorian era and NEVER sully the good name of a woman, let alone pretend we find one attractive. One is neither more honest than the other, but the knighting that goes on is usually a clear sign of someone repressing something deep and dark.

I think the reasoning for that is that a lot of people feel the need to prove they are not online creeps and so they over compensate by going onto forums and patting themselves on the back while pretending to not have seen Jennifer Lawrence's nude photos because they were 'raised right' and 'have respect for women'. Its the opposite of what we see in real life where men usually go out of their way to prove how heterosexual they are. Online, with its negative stigma in some circles, we need to pretend we are living in the Victorian era and NEVER sully the good name of a woman, let alone pretend we find one attractive. One is neither more honest than the other, but the knighting that goes on is usually a clear sign of someone repressing something deep and dark.

ydzi4.gif

• Like 1