DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-4-16

MGFanJay

Fine-ish show. No really spectacular matches, but they did mix things up a bit with Alberto going for a new position on the double stomp. Crazy jacked up Vince was amusing, but the booking of that match was all sorts of silly. Scott Armstrong is just back as a heel after being one for like a month in 2013. Roman vs. All in the Rumble is either a perfect way to take the title off him, or a way to cement him as the Man. I'd have HHH win it and then you have Roman take the title at WM. Maybe even have Sting come out for a run-in to play off the HHH-Sting match last year. Or better yet, have the Shield reunite for one night to celebrate Roman's win.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/01/wwe-raw-1-4-16.html

Screens - 

3be113456553880.jpg 

42be69456553974.jpg 

578980456554034.jpg

129b87456553846.jpg 

f0083f456558402.jpg

760391456558408.jpg

Cranky Vince!

9b3baa456558695.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/zr18uip44zlmeifcjpsiaojjk5lrkb5j

I want to praise Owens/Neville/Ambrose up front because that was actually a good segment. I'll say this for Neville, he knows how to take some crazy highlight reel bumps, and Owens is very consistent.

Everything else up until the main event was either bland or just flat out shitty. Why does Stardust exist?

Worst New Day segment I've watched. No pun intended that Tyson thing fell so flat. Jericho was really flat too. That was just... nothing.

Main event was exactly what you thought it would be, but man, Vince has finally slowed down a bit. He really is becoming "Muscular Mister Burns", which is still perfectly fine for his character.

I don't mind the idea of Roman in the Rumble at all, in fact I think the belt being up in the Rumble is overdue. But Jesus, the crowd went mild for that announcement.

Overall this was a very bad RAW with only one segment I can really say produced a positive crowd response.

If you get rid of the McMahon/Roman crap, this show wasn't the worst I've ever seen.

Chris Jericho: He's hip, he's cool, he's 45. The Kids in the Hall should get royalties everytime Jericho returns.

I enjoyed the Wyatt's beating down The Big Show.

• Like 4

Didn't see the title being up at Rumble coming at all. That's an almost Russo-rific level swerve.

If its just to let Brock win and then have Roman beat him for his big Mania win, that'll be pretty disappointing. Don't see why they hot shotted the belt on to Roman just to pop 3 Raws out of it if that's the case. Plus playing hot potato with the title is always a bad thing.

Charlotte/Becky was really good, too.

It was.  The exchanges and transitions weren't messy, just sort of unpredictable.  They were really in sync and it felt like a less formulaic match than most.

And they did a great job of always working toward Ric.  Every time Becky was anywhere near that corner I was paying attention, waiting for him to do something.

• Like 1

It was.  The exchanges and transitions weren't messy, just sort of unpredictable.  They were really in sync and it felt like a less formulaic match than most.

And they did a great job of always working toward Ric.  Every time Becky was anywhere near that corner I was paying attention, waiting for him to do something.

One of the weirdest things about current WWE to me is how blatantly terrible a ring second Ric Flair is for Charlotte. He's too slow, he can't get physically involved because men don't hit women in mainstream wrestling anymore (and I stress, that's a good thing, but it handicaps why he's there in the first place), and his wooing basically takes heat away from the match in the same way crowds chanting stupid bullshit instead of watching a match does.

It's quite bizarre to me, but it flat out doesn't work.

• Like 1

The sad thing here is that they took away a potentially interesting MITB cash in. Imagine if MITB had been cashed in mid-Rumble. 

Then what?

Well, going by precedent from Mania, if somebody cashed in in the middle of the Rumble, they'd have to win it.

So, if they came out in the middle, they'd be really dumb.

One of the weirdest things about current WWE to me is how blatantly terrible a ring second Ric Flair is for Charlotte. He's too slow, he can't get physically involved because men don't hit women in mainstream wrestling anymore (and I stress, that's a good thing, but it handicaps why he's there in the first place), and his wooing basically takes heat away from the match in the same way crowds chanting stupid bullshit instead of watching a match does.

You can be a manager and not be physically involved. Distracting the ref while your client does something dirty is also effective, as is jawing with the crowd and doing things to get heat. 

The sad thing here is that they took away a potentially interesting MITB cash in. Imagine if MITB had been cashed in mid-Rumble. 

Then what?

It's still Sheamus, fella.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd book the rest of the Rumble. Does the cash in end it? Does the match continue? Does it revert to being for the main event at WrestleMania? 

Imagine that Sheamus cashes in on Roman (or whoever) and then Roman (or whoever) wins the Rumble. Does Roman get the belt back? Was Sheamus cashing in only enough to make him champion for the duration of the Rumble? It'd at least make you want to tune into RAW to find out. 

Then what?

Wouldn't they cash in AFTER the Rumble?

Either way--It's still Sheamus, fella.

Rollins cashed in during Lesnar/Reigns. Better to take advantage of the champion after he's in for a while. For the purposes of this, I'd have Roman enter #1 and Sheamus cash in at around the 45 minute mark.

I'm hoping now that the feud is all in the open he'll start cutting promos on Becky like when he stole Elizabeth from Savage.

If this seems like a theme, yes, I'm knee deep in early 1996 Nitros this week.

• Like 4