DVDVR Message Board

Tables, Ladders, and Chairs VII

Dolfan in NYC

How is Sheamus retaining a good idea?

Sure, the match was great once it really got going, but now the champ looks amazingly weak, the challenger looks like a sore loser, and no one wins. But hey, Roman-HHH at the Rumble.  Whee.

Oh well, at least New Day brought the absolute awesome yet again. 

(And someone tell them their in ring mic was way too loud, I heard spots being called all night long not to mention HHH & Steph both saying "fuck" audibly on mic.)

This is the second year of this PPV in a row where the best AND hottest match was the first one on the card (not counting the pre-show). Last year, everything was downhill after that awesome Harper/Ziggler ladder match and this year, everything was downhill after the triple threat ladder match. Xavier Woods is light years ahead of everyone else on that commentary table to an absurd point. There were just too many insane spots capped off with that wild Salina del Sol off the ladder, but my favorite spots were actually the Big E ladder press and Xavier throwing the trombone at Kalisto. 

Jumping back, Banks/Lynch was the second best match on the show even with that awful skit beforehand. Sorry, but Team BAD ain't The New Day on the mic or anywhere near it.

The rest of this was okay. Owens had another mediocre match with Ambrose. They have awful chemistry together. Sheamus busted his ass and took an absolute beating, and so did Reigns, but the crowd was just so somnambulent, like with that WEAK "Holy Shit" chant after a genuinely impressive White Noise-through-the-table spot. It got so bad that I swear there was a "WE WANT CENA" chant from this jaded Boston crowd that usually boos him out of the building. I felt bad that those guys also got a "NXT" chant in the middle of a match where they were busting their butts. They even did try something different and not do a bunch of climbing, instead opting to beat the shit out of each other first, which differentiated it a bit from that first ladder match. The problem is that we saw ladders snapped in half, tables broken with wild moves, etc., all night. This whole idea for the PPV is stupid, though of course that's a common talking point that has always been absolutely correct. They woke up for the finishing run, however. 

Rowan shouldn't have been eliminated in that tables match. It should have been a clean sweep for the Wyatts. Decent wrestling tonight overall, but that was the worst match on the show. That or Rusev/Ryback. I like both of those guys a lot, but what an awkward match with too much flying from a guy who isn't good at it. Swagger/Del Rio was as good as it could be with that stipulation, but Swagger got beat the fuck up for minimal crowd reaction just like Sheamus did. 

Re: Booking. Ambrose winning the Intercontinental Championship got the type of reaction that says that he should be the dude feuding with Sheamus over the WWE Championship and eventually winning it. He's got the worst offense in the company with Rollins out, but he can take a shitkicking and survive, and the crowd would love him for it and accept him at that level. 

However, they really should have had Ambrose come even the odds and save Reigns, leading to a Reigns win. That finish was SO tepid. They are trying to get Reigns over by having him fail over and over, but that won't work. Instead, they need to have Reigns leech off Ambrose's popularity. Should have just had Ambrose come out and even stuff up by clubbering all the other League of Nation guys with his newly won title so Reigns could make the comeback on Sheamus. Instead, he loses again, looks like a doofus, and then throws a tantrum with the chairshots after the match. It took a whole lot of smoke and mirrors and HHH and Stephy to get the crowd to give some type of reaction by the end of that drawn-out post-match. It got people to care more, definitely, but not really at the level that I would expect. Awful booking because it's so tone deaf in terms of what many of the fans want and what will cause them to get behind Reigns. Plus Rusev being the Erick Rowan of this group SUCKS. What a waste. 

I feel as though they are trying to sabotage the women by booking them as totally insane characters so that there isn't any heat there for anyone because no one knows who to cheer for. It's so bad that Charlotte's lukewarmness (I made that a word now) transferred to Ric fucking Flair somehow. 

And the shitty crowd was actually won over at the end. They're going to wish they called an audible here.

I get that this is the typical December "heel faction has to get heat" booking, but at the end Roman actually won the crowd over, and that window isn't going to be open forever. I get what they're going for, but this might have been a time to throw out the format.

The show match-wise peaked with the crazy tag team ladder match. Paige looked fine in the divas match, and I think she's a face now. Roman vs. Sheamus was a stunt show, but more of a video game match than anything else. "REIGNS HAS BEEN PUSHED FAR ENOUGH!" was hilarious.  Ditto the post-match beating of HHH.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/12/wwe-tlc-2015-coverage.html

Cole - "REIGNS HAS BEEN PUSHED FAR ENOUGH!"
Cole – SAME OLD STORY AGAIN TONIGHT!
JBL – He came in second again.

Screens -

WWE Saves the Best for First

909f91452497913.jpg

124816452497915.jpg 

Poor Bray.

3235fb452501689.jpg

Go Paige Go.

bfd869452506246.jpg

f63e31452506540.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/j9h86yudjhxlizc03dhu9kp1tfakvk5f

That crowd was shitting on Roman when he came out.

That crowd made you think Roman was 86 Hogan when he walked out.

That worked.

Yeah. Wonderful. After he looks like a complete punk bitch do they have him crank it up and do something badass. And now he'll work a suspension angle, not capitalizing on his heat at all.

The Roman attitude change could be cool, depending on where they go with it tomorrow and how his character is from now on. If he's just a silent badass that doesn't give a fuck anymore, that's a good thing. If it's business as usual tomorrow, cracking stupid jokes and they do the typical firing/suspension angle, it's run of the mill and won't matter much in the long run (besides Roman going over Triple H, but it's debatable if that means anything now too). They turned the crowd in Roman's favor by the end with the extended beatdowns - went from chanting WE WANT CENA/CENA SUCKS and NXT to ROMAN and THANK YOU ROMAN. I don't know if that says more about the crowd liking Roman, for the moment, or if The Authority is that annoying to most people.

I honestly didn't pay attention to the PPV tonight, save the ECW/Wyatts match and Ambrose/Owens. The last 25ish minutes of the show got my attention.

Xavier explaining the "psychology" of why guys are always laying around outside the ring in these multi-man ladder matches by way of WWE 2K16 was both brilliant and totally on-brand.

You've gotta let your stamina build back up before you try to climb!

• Like 12

Here's a fucking idea...Roman wins, beats the shit out of Sheamus post match for his troubles, and basically does EVERYTHING else he did.

Better yet, book Roman like this ALL the time.

But don't worry, they'll go right back to the well with making him look like he's beating the odds and is an underdog because God forbid a WWE babyface look like a badass.